Hard Tubing

Im thinking of doing a full custom watercooling loop. Ive been looking into tubing and i have seen soft tubing and hard tubing. On most websites the hard tubing description says 'expert users only' or something of the same meaning. Is it really that hard? Should i not bother with the hard tubing? What do people recommend?

Im thinking of doing a full custom watercooling loop. Ive been looking into tubing and i have seen soft tubing and hard tubing. On most websites the hard tubing description says 'expert users only' or something of the same meaning. Is it really that hard? Should i not bother with the hard tubing? What do people recommend?

I think linus said he was about to do a video on hard tubing. Maybe look at a few video tutorials and see if it's your cup of tea?

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

with hard tubing you have to bend the tubes your self using a torch. and you have to be pretty accurate. soft tubing is just cut to length. so id say go with soft tubing.

If it's your first time, definitely go with soft tubing. I just finished mine and I got a taste of what it would be like to use hard tubing when I had a very tight fit for a short run. 

It's also more expensive most of the time as you're going to need different tools and fittings to get the angles right, and will likely mess up a fair few of the bends and lengths. 

Screw hard (acrylic) tubing, go with chrome/copper tubing :)

Anyway, hard tubing can be a bitch since there will be a lot of tight fits requiring PERFECT cuts and perfect bends. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I've never done hard tubing before, but I can honestly say that if I had a heat gun, the components, and the tubing, it would probably be relatively easy to do. Just trial and error I would think.

Get that little silicon insert that prevents kinking and plenty of spare tubing and it shouldn't be that difficult.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Go check out singularitycomputers on youtube... he's somewhat of a pioneer when it comes to hardtubing. It's not the easiest thing to do but it should be feasible even for a beginner. Keep in mind that you're gonna need a heatgun tho.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Go with soft if it is your first or even Second time. I love the look of hard tubing (oh god, no homo). Go with soft in my opinion I have done 3 custom loops won't go near hard hard tubing.

A lot more chance of leaks with hard tubing. Especially for a novice.

I recommend doing a soft tubing loop first, and getting experience by watching singularitycomputers on youtube.

Then when you are confident making soft tubing loops, maybe try to move to hard tubing.

Keep in mind you can also use fittings instead of bending tubing when going with hard acrylic tubing. This may make it easier.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

with hard tubing you have to bend the tubes your self using a torch. and you have to be pretty accurate. soft tubing is just cut to length. so id say go with soft tubing if you want to later swap to hard tubing you can try it. its not that expensive as you wont need any fittings etc

Going from soft tubing to acrylic means you don't need new fittings? Since when did this become a thing?

Going from soft tubing to acrylic means you don't need new fittings? Since when did this become a thing?

if you buy the same gauge its possible with just a few cheap adapters

if you buy the same gauge its possible

This if for soft tubing http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21350/ex-tub-2046/Monsoon_Chain_Gun_Compression_Fitting_-_38ID_x_58OD_-_Single_Red_CGF-3858-1-RD.html?tl=g30c569s1762

This is for acrylic http://www.frozencpu.com/products/25257/ex-tub-3392/Alphacool_G14_HT_HardTube_Compression_Fitting_13mm_OD_-_Black_17189.html?tl=g30c703#blank

A fitting that works on soft tubing will not work on acrylic. 

That is also a fancy compression fitting from monsoon, but it shows what I am talking about. 

This if for soft tubing http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21350/ex-tub-2046/Monsoon_Chain_Gun_Compression_Fitting_-_38ID_x_58OD_-_Single_Red_CGF-3858-1-RD.html?tl=g30c569s1762

This is for acrylic http://www.frozencpu.com/products/25257/ex-tub-3392/Alphacool_G14_HT_HardTube_Compression_Fitting_13mm_OD_-_Black_17189.html?tl=g30c703#blank

A fitting that works on soft tubing will not work on acrylic. 

That is also a fancy compression fitting from monsoon, but it shows what I am talking about.

if you use hard-line tubing fittings you can put a soft tubing adapter into it with the soft tubing on. should have been more clear. so yeah you cant use the same fitting ill edit above :)

if you use hard-line tubing fittings you can put a soft tubing adapter into it with the soft tubing on. should have been more clear. so yeah you cant use the same fitting ill edit above :)

A primochill coupler. Allows you to use a compression/barb fitting and then connects that to a hardline push/compression fitting. Basically it is just something that has 2 female g1/4 threads. 

A primochill coupler. Allows you to use a compression/barb fitting and then connects that to a hardline push/compression fitting. Basically it is just something that has 2 female g1/4 threads.

basically what i meant, i just couldn't remember the name of them :P

I think the most important thing is what case and tube routing you want.  If your hard-line only involves 90 degree bend or single bend per tube.  It is very easy, even slightly free bend would look good.

If you work in a very small case, you either need a lot of fittings or need to do tight bends sit next to each other.  This will be hard.  What I meant by hard is that in my case, a two neck to neck 90 degree took me at least 5 attempts.

I think the most important thing is what case and tube routing you want.  If your hard-line only involves 90 degree bend or single bend per tube.  It is very easy, even slightly free bend would look good.

If you work in a very small case, you either need a lot of fittings or need to do tight bends sit next to each other.  This will be hard.  What I meant by hard is that in my case, a two neck to neck 90 degree took me at least 5 attempts.

Second this ^^^^^  I have quite a few bends in my loops that have multiple 90s in it. It's hard to do right, but you can do it. Measure, remeasure, and measure again. And don't be in a rush to do it. If you want look good, do it in stages, couple bends and take a break. Trust me Been there, Done my latest build in one night, wasted sooooooooooooooooooooo much tubing. But it's cheaper than buying 100's of fittings and not bending.

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

So a case like the haf stacker 945 would be easy(ish) for hard tubing?

So a case like the haf stacker 945 would be easy(ish) for hard tubing?

It's gonna be easy, for some tubing at the rad box, you can just use soft since they don't show to reduce the amount of work.

Generally, the bigger the easier.