NEED HELP! Hackintosh? What is it and is it any good?

Shine_Syahr

Hi guys!

I need some major advice. GF landed an awesome new job with a design company. NOT as a graphic designer or anything artistic related.

She's basically hired as a resources/operations/finance manager. 

Her new workplace runs entirely on Apple Macs or Apple products. Kinda makes sense I guess since they are a design company. I dunno. Don't hate me. Its just they way it seems to be for them.

And no she's not working for Apple either haha. She's not a fan of Apple that I can say. She's looking to build a new PC or Hackintosh rather for this new job. 

The concern is whether a Hackintosh would be able to integrate with the rest of the Macs in the company and work. Would a PC be like a wrench in the gears?

Should she roll with it and just use a Mac? 

Firstly I'll come forth and say I'm ok with tech stuff. Slightly better than the average joe but by no means an expert. I'd love to help her build a new PC/Hackintosh but I cant give any good advice on this matter.

Can you run Apple apps and software on Hackintosh? Can this Hackintosh co-exist with the Macs in the workplace and work together for the common good of making profit :D

Thanks for reading and I sincerely hope I can get some knowledgeable information form the tech experts here

For starters watch this video:

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Yes you can have a Hackintosh work side by side with a real Mac. Yes you can run the same software.

I run OS X 10.10 on my system. Look at my sig

\

For starters watch this video:

-snip-

It's an okay video but I don't think she would need a 2011 system so most of that guide is not going to help.

\

I'm running Mac OS X Yosemite 14A389 on my C2D E7500, 2GB RAM, GT610, 500GB HDD. It works fine!

There is also NTFS Write support released by some hackintosh people.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Does she need to bring the machine to and from work or is it purely for home use? I would have reservations about turning up to a brand new job with a piece of software that has been illegally installed on a machine (not sure if illegal but definitely against TOS). Even if it works 100% it just wouldn't look very good to the company. No point making life harder especially if the new job pays well enough to easily afford a new Mac.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

A Hackintosh is just a name used for when someone putting the MAC operation system (OSX) onto another system, like one you've build yourself.

It has ALL the same features like a real mac does (All that is supported by the hardware).

Though look up what parts you need to use. In the past not all hardware have been OSX compatible.. Not sure about the current status.

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

Hey guys. Thanks so much for the great replies.

Yes, I see there needs to be some research to be done in regards to the various parts used and if the parts are compatible with the OSX.

There isn't a need to worry about her getting reprimanded for using a Hackintosh. She's pretty high up the corporate food chain in the company. :P 

They are pretty flexible and wouldnt care much as long as she gets shit done. They'll provide a Mac at her office anyways but wants a dedicated workstation at her own place.

Building a Hackintosh would be a nice project and a new welcomed experience.