Are Macbook Airs good or should i buy another laptop?

Hey everyone 

i have been wondering if i should invest the money to buy a new macbook air or if there is a better option out there for me for the same price or cheaper ? 

thanks in advance

MacBook air is good if you like Battery life and OSX. And don't need a nice display. 

And technically you can put Windows on a MBA or MBP.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Personally I would get a windows laptop But if you really want a mac I'm guessing you just want the experience 

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

im typing on mba rn :P i think its great, dad has one too and he loves it.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

umm so idk its pricy but if you want a laptop that will just work and you won't have problems with it and you have the money to put into it then I'd go mac, otherwise you should probably go with a different laptop

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

MS Surface pro would be enough but mac has got a retina display, but in that screen size you be the judge..

Details separate people.

Get a Windows PC. Just buy anything BUT HP. I've had enough bad experiences with them.

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

Do you need a really nice Ultrabook that has good build quality, incredibly battery life? Do you like OSX? If yes to either of those I'd say it's a good buy. 

MS Surface pro would be enough but mac has got a retina display, but in that screen size you be the judge..

Surface Pro is a lot more expensive, especially as you increase in spec.

its pricy

nope.

Get a Windows PC.

Why?

There's an important question not being asked. What are you gonna use it for?

Asus Maximus VII GeneIntel i7 4790k @ 4.8 - Corsair Vengance Pro 16GB DDR3 @ 2000Mhz - Asus Strix GTX980 SLI @ 1400Mhz/8000Mhz - 2x Samsing EVO 840 500GB RAID0 - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Cooler Master v1000 - Focusrite Scarlett 18i6

Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear - Genelec 8040a Pair - Audio Technica AT4040 - Asus PG278Q ROG Swift - Asus PB278Q - 2x Bad Asus IPS 1080 Screens - Ducky Shine 3 w/Browns - Corsair m65 - Razer Orbweaver Clicky - Razer Sabertooth

Apple rMBP Late 2013 - Applie retina iPad 2 - Apple iPhone 5 - Apple iPod Classic - XBone - Wii U - Pikachu 3DS XL - Katsukity 3DS XL

I much prefer the MBP  to the MBA. I'm not a fan of the lack of power and low screen resolution. Still pretty nice laptops. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Surface Pro is a lot more expensive, especially as you increase in spec.

nope.

Why?

I've used Mac's and PC's. And from personal experience I've had a better experience with Windows. It works for you better, the only reason to get Mac's is for design and creation. Plus your asking this on a PC Forum. There is going to be some biased toward Windows.

Also the fact that the Air STARTS at $899. There are a lot of laptops that are cheaper than the Air.

What are you going to use it for anyway?

Hell, get a Chromebook.

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

I got a Mac Air and am loving it. The battery life is stellar and the build quality is as you expect, exceptional. I use it for work, so article reading and light coding, simulation and abit of presentation/picture editing. Hell, I even have a few games on it and it runs them well to pass a few hours if need be

If you want a nice, easy-to-use laptop for just watching youtube or going on facebook or maybe doing a little photo editing that is also well-built, I can wholeheartedly recommend a Macbook.

Anything more than that, and I will say to you KEEP THE ABSOLUTE HELL AWAY FROM THEM.

seriously, just have a look at some of Asus or MSi's gaming laptops and price-to-performance wise, they beat the crap out of the Macbooks.

I've already knocked heads with this sort of thing once, and I have figures to back up my claims.

if it comes on laptop i think the most matter thing except the specs is how it looks. i'm not a big fan of macbook lineup's design but they look just fine. 

at this price i suggest u Dell XPS 13. somehow i really like it's design. maybe u too :D

I'm currently on a macbook air. I use it for school all the time, my school gave it to me and I'm happy they did, they are quite nice if you're using them for schoolwork due to the nice portability of the laptop.

The Surface Pro is far better choice, in my opinion, especially if you are a student.

It's thinner and lighter, far better display in every way (IPS panel, and not TN like what the Mac Book Air has, and much higher resolution), still powerful system, but what really makes the device shine, is the pen. The pen is not like any stupid pen that you get for iPad and such. This pen detects hovering, has palm rejection, and detect teh pressure you apply to it on the screen, and features 2 buttons (right-click and eraser). The Pen shine for notetaking. When it comes writing formulas, doing a diagram, doing a graph, circle something in your notes, math, physics, special symbols, etc. You can easilly do it, like if you had pen and paper. On a laptop, you just can't. And yuo can do all this with the killer note taking software: OneNote, which is exactly like an infinit, in all direction, note taking paper, where you have pages which you can label, make sections, and make multiple notebooks. Basically, you can write or type anywhere, move things arround, import PDFs or screen shots and writes notes over it, add small recordings, have OneNote convert ink to math or text, analyuss text inside images or your handwriting for searching, and much much much more. Definitly worth a look.

I have the Surface Pro 2, and the more I use it, the more I like it. In fact, if you told me: GoodBytes, here is 3000$, but any system you want! I would go out and buy the latest Surface Pro, and return you the remaining of the money.

Now if you are intrested in the Surface Pro 3, just a heads up, expect a new model early to mid next year, with Intel new CPU. Of course, the same applies for the MacBook Air. All depending on when Intel will release it's new coming up CPU. It is expected that the CPU is faster, and have faster intel graphics solution, possibly DirectX 12 support, and consume much less power, so that means even longer battery life. That is of course, if you can wait. But the Surface Pro 3 is a very nice device. It's been doing quiet well for Microsoft.

If you have any questions about it, just ask!

Now if you are intrested in the Surface Pro 3, just a heads up, expect a new model early to mid next year, with Intel new CPU. Of course, the same applies for the MacBook Air. All depending on when Intel will release it's new coming up CPU. It is expected that the CPU is faster, and have faster intel graphics solution, possibly DirectX 12 support, and consume much less power, so that means even longer battery life. That is of course, if you can wait. But the Surface Pro 3 is a very nice device. It's been doing quiet well for Microsoft.

If you have any questions about it, just ask!

There's always something to wait for :/

The next mba will have a higher res screen than the current one too

Dream-phone: USB type-c (3.1), 1440p, 5-inch, removable battery, 32gb RAMdrive, sd card slot, stock Android, transparent atomic purple build, 9050 mah battery, waterproof AF, nuclear powered, ac wifi is fine.
                           OR a one-of-a-kind iphone that runs Android.

It REALLY depends on what you're using it for. If you want any sensible answer, you're going to have to put some more effort into explaining what you want out of it. I have both a heavy 'gaming' laptop and a MBP and they serve very different purposes.

Hell, get a Chromebook.

Actually I like you're point here, Chromebooks are great depending on what you are going to use the computer for and if you need you can always upgrade the storage so you can run more programs from the chromebook itself instead of just internet

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

Get a Windows PC. Just buy anything BUT HP. I've had enough bad experiences with them.

Also Toshiba i had alot of bad experiences with their laptops =( now both me and wife own Asus laptops so far no problems at all.

"It is complete. I have created a god. But I have no control over it."" -Ergo Proxy

It's a great laptop. If you're a CS student, you just can't stop loving it as it's sofriendly with everything you throw at it.

Oh, and also, you can have Linux, OSX and Windows installed, running pretty much all at the same time, just a finger slide away.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

If you like the design and how thin and light it is then get it.

SYSTEM SPECS

i7 4790k | LTT Edition Noctua NH-U12S | Gigabyte Z97-SOC Force | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 | 120GB Samsung 850 EVO | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | NVIDIA GTX 980ti | H440 Orange | EVGA 650B3 PSU

if it comes on laptop i think the most matter thing except the specs is how it looks. i'm not a big fan of macbook lineup's design but they look just fine. 

at this price i suggest u Dell XPS 13. somehow i really like it's design. maybe u too :D

Looks almost the same as the Air but with more rounded corners and a more plastic looking keyboard 

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

If you want that incredible battery life then buy it :D

Nothing in that price range has as good battery life as this.

Basically perfect for text stuff, browsing, coding and other basic stuff. Wouldnt do photo editing or video or any 3d stuff on it though....

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses