Recording gameplay to the same HDD VS a seperate HDD.

Alan3345
Go to solution Solved by EdgeUK,

Yeah it's a popular issue with Dxtory at 60fps recording. TotalBiscuit did some research into it and found a new codec that (although having bigger filesize) does record at a clean 60.

Link: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/nh4vr9

And to answer your question, record to a separate drive.

Hey guys so I only have one hardrive in my system. It's a Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM drive. I run my OS, games and recording software off it and record footage to it. Now that youtube supports 60 fps, I want to upload my vids with that framerate. The problem is when using Dxtory, Mirillis Action or AMD GVR the file fps tends to hover in the 50s instead of constant 60 (even though i'm playing at a constant 60fps). Would getting a second hard drive for recording solve this or not? What do you guys think? 

Thanks for any help :)

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @ 4.0 GHz Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard. GPU: EVGA GTX 970. Ram: Crucial Ballistix Ram 8GB (2 x 4gb) @ 1600MHz CPU Cooler: H80i Water Coller | Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair CX 750m HDD: Seagate 2TB Hardrive | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB.

My PC Partpickerhttp://pcpartpicker.com/b/xPnnTW

If you record to a separate ssd that would help and if you get an i7 probably, but I don't think a separate hdd would help much

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

Could help, it could also be that your cpu can't keep up with it... If want to encode it on the fly during gaming, can be hard. But if you are sure it's your hdd a seperate hdd can help indeed, i suggest one with a high amount of capacity or a performance one (a WD black or something). Maybe a WD purple is something for you? They are designed for surveillance stuff... Which is sort-of the same...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I think the problem with the 50ish FPS is that the Hard drive is dropping frames, an SSD, while expensive and not optimised for this sort of thing, would be beneficial

And for example, you could transfer the footage over to the hard drive, once you're done filming

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

From my experience yes, I switched to recording to a separate disk and it seemed to help quite a bit with frame rates, that said it does depend on the game since some games hardly require any reading from the disk while others are more intense, obviously a more intense game will cause it to make a bigger difference where as something like Binding of Issac which takes almost no disk to run it won't make much of a difference. 

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

Yeah it's a popular issue with Dxtory at 60fps recording. TotalBiscuit did some research into it and found a new codec that (although having bigger filesize) does record at a clean 60.

If you record to a separate ssd that would help and if you get an i7 probably, but I don't think a separate hdd would help much

An ssd is expensive and you would need to write everything to another hdd after recording or something, also writing a lot to an ssd is not that healthy for the ssd..

the i7 could indeed help but i7 cpu + motherboard is quite expensive tbh...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

An ssd is expensive and you would need to write everything to another hdd after recording or something, also writing a lot to an ssd is not that healthy for the ssd..

Didn't samsung say that the 850 pro 120gb in their lab had written something like a petabyte of data?

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Right it isn't cheap lol and it will wear down the ssd but it will give better performance

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

† TTCF Member †

Didn't samsung say that the 850 pro 120gb in their lab had written something like a petabyte of data?

That thing is also a pro-grade thing and quite expensive, and you will still have the issue of copying everything after recording to another drive, or if you are recording for a long time, you could run out of space... (probably won't happen, but it's something to keep in mind) If you really want an ssd, get the 850 pro as suggested but get at least a 250... 

Thanks guys for the help, I'll probably get one to see if it helps anyway :)

Oh cool, i'll try that out so :)

Well I am getting an i7 (currently looking at the i7 4790k) but that won't be for several months :P

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @ 4.0 GHz Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard. GPU: EVGA GTX 970. Ram: Crucial Ballistix Ram 8GB (2 x 4gb) @ 1600MHz CPU Cooler: H80i Water Coller | Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair CX 750m HDD: Seagate 2TB Hardrive | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB.

Thanks guys for the help, I'll probably get one to see if it helps anyway :)

Oh cool, i'll try that out so :)

Well I am getting an i7 (currently looking at the i7 4790k) but that won't be for several months :P

lol ok then, yeah trying out stuff is probably the best way to find out

† TTCF Member †

BTW just downloaded that codec and tried it, it worked, constant 60fps :)

Good to know, thanks for the confirmation, I'll test it myself later too :)

can u send a download link to the codec? i google searched it but the websites look kinda shady

† TTCF Member †

can u send a download link to the codec? i google searched it but the websites look kinda shady

I downloaded it from here: http://www.free-codecs.com/Ut_Video_Codec_Suite_download.htm

Bear in mind it has MASSIVE filesizes (18 gb for a 6 min clip) but the quality is amazing and it works with Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere Pro, though you can't playback the raw file with any video player.

When selecting a codec in Dxtory this is the one you choose: UTVideo YUV422 BT.709 :)

I downloaded it from here: http://www.free-codecs.com/Ut_Video_Codec_Suite_download.htm

Bear in mind it has MASSIVE filesizes (18 gb for a 6 min clip) but the quality is amazing and it works with Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere Pro, though you can't playback the raw file with any video player.

When selecting a codec in Dxtory this is the one you choose: UTVideo YUV422 BT.709 :)

thanks!

† TTCF Member †