Keyboard/Mouse Connectivity Issues

Mecael

Hey!

I've recently (over the past month maybe two) been having issues with my USB 2 keyboard (Ducky Shine II) and my mouse (Logitech G400)

When doing anything my mouse will freeze for a very short period of time (less than a second) as I move it around the screen.

Sometimes the mouse and keyboard will freeze outright and stop responding the light on the bottom of the mouse will still be on and the light on the keyboard will flicker and flash but will not input keys for typing (or cntrl-alt-esc) etc.

Only a restart will make them stop.

I've tried swapping the USB ports that they use around to no avail. 

Any other ideas?

• CPU: 2500k
  • GPU: 780

CPU: Intel I5 2500k Cooling:  Custom Loop 200mm+240mm Rad XSPC CPU block + XSPC Titan Block GPU: Zotac 780 MoBo: ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 PSU: Corsiar AX750 Storage: 2x Samsung F3 1Tb 1x Seagate 3TB  1x 128GB SSD Case: Corsair 600t (White)

Did you try it on a different computer to see if your mouse/keyboard is broken? I would try reinstalling the drivers and software that are related to these ( like LGS). If it doesn't work, I would do a fresh install of Windows to see if it will fix it.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

For your mouse, is it on a clean surface? My mice tend to jump around(almost like "freezing" as you're describing it) when on a surface with random particles on it. For your keyboard, have you tried a different USB port as well? Also, try giving other keyboards and mices a shot on your computer. Might end up having two malfunctioning devices.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This sounds like the USB ports on the motherboard is dying/dead. You could try to update your motherboard to newest bios + usb drivers (and similar).

The mouse could also be problems similar to software or the cable. Same goes for the keyboard.

Just try those things and come back if you still need help.

I had the same problems for my mouse and keyboard before as-well. The mouse was the software and the keyboard was the dead usb-ports :/

-crunzaty

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

Put your KB on a USB3 port..AFTER you update the Etron USB3 drivers.. 

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

For your mouse, is it on a clean surface? My mice tend to jump around(almost like "freezing" as you're describing it) when on a surface with random particles on it. For your keyboard, have you tried a different USB port as well? Also, try giving other keyboards and mices a shot on your computer. Might end up having two malfunctioning devices.

Hey, It's on my mouse mat which is pretty clean. I've swapped the USB ports for the keyboard too. I use a bluetooth keyboard too and it's never had this problem (It uses a USB dongle)

Did you try it on a different computer to see if your mouse/keyboard is broken? I would try reinstalling the drivers and software that are related to these ( like LGS). If it doesn't work, I would do a fresh install of Windows to see if it will fix it.

Yeah I'll try it on a different computer but it doesn't happen all the time it could be hours before it malfunctions. I recently did reinstall Windows 8 completely (This week)

This sounds like the USB ports on the motherboard is dying/dead. You could try to update your motherboard to newest bios + usb drivers (and similar).

The mouse could also be problems similar to software or the cable. Same goes for the keyboard.

Just try those things and come back if you still need help.

I had the same problems for my mouse and keyboard before as-well. The mouse was the software and the keyboard was the dead usb-ports :/

-crunzaty

I will try updating the BIOS. I really hope it isn't the motherboard as I can't afford a new one. If I were to get USB pci-e expansions that could fix it?

Put your KB on a USB3 port..AFTER you update the Etron USB3 drivers.. 

I will try that, where would I find them, the ASRock website?

CPU: Intel I5 2500k Cooling:  Custom Loop 200mm+240mm Rad XSPC CPU block + XSPC Titan Block GPU: Zotac 780 MoBo: ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 PSU: Corsiar AX750 Storage: 2x Samsung F3 1Tb 1x Seagate 3TB  1x 128GB SSD Case: Corsair 600t (White)

Ok, I've updated the drivers as above as well as the BIOS. We shall see I guess.