Is a dual core processor any good for new AAA games.

Go to solution Solved by xinfernus,

You guys seem to forget you can get a 30% OC with ease on a B85 board with stockcooler. For gaming, even when comparing dual vs quad, IPC > cores. 2 Haswell cores at 4.2-4.4ghz still beat 4 Kaveri/Richland cores by margin.

Taking an offmarket cooler into consideration for both builds, and there is just no contest

Budget build... that's what we are talking about.

Hey guys I made my decision. I decided to go with the amd a8 6600k and a fm2+ motherboard because even though the pentium was a good choice based on the far cry 4 recent development and the fact that the games can't or is a problem to run on the pentium g3258 because it is dual core I thought that I needed something budget which also had integrated graphics. Thanks for your help guys, btw do you think that I will be able to get at least 3 years out of this APU when paired with a decent GPU like say a R7 260x or R 270x

APUs should ONLY be considered if you're on an EXTREMELY tight budget. 

Otherwise you should get a X4 760k/860k + R7 260x (or better) 

Anything higher than an R7 250x and the integrated graphics on the APU will NOT be used. And an x4 760k + R7 260x is better than ANY apu + R7 250x in Crossfire. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Hey guys I made my decision. I decided to go with the amd a8 6600k and a fm2+ motherboard because even though the pentium was a good choice based on the far cry 4 recent development and the fact that the games can't or is a problem to run on the pentium g3258 because it is dual core I thought that I needed something budget which also had integrated graphics. Thanks for your help guys, btw do you think that I will be able to get at least 3 years out of this APU when paired with a decent GPU like say a R7 260x or R 270x

Try and go for an athlon and a 260x or something, itll seriously give you a lot more performance than a 6600k!

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

You won't get three years out of a 260x and 6600k. I recommend you get an i3 and a 270. (i3's run natively with Far Cry 4)

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I have already ordered the a8 6600k and it is on it's way. I bought the apu because I was thinking about getting the GPU further down the line maybe during the new year. I don't plan on running dual graphics I plan on using the apu for now then when I get the GPU I use the GPU independently. The reason I am in such a rush to get a my PC up and running is because my laptop that I am using at the moment is finally dying as it relates to the hard drive and I don't want to spend any money repairing it. So that is why I can't even wait until new years to get the 760k and a r7 260x. I can't do without a PC because I would go mad.

You won't get three years out of a 260x and 6600k. I recommend you get an i3 and a 270. (i3's run natively with Far Cry 4)

Try and go for an athlon and a 260x or something, itll seriously give you a lot more performance than a 6600k!

APUs should ONLY be considered if you're on an EXTREMELY tight budget. 

Otherwise you should get a X4 760k/860k + R7 260x (or better) 

Anything higher than an R7 250x and the integrated graphics on the APU will NOT be used. And an x4 760k + R7 260x is better than ANY apu + R7 250x in Crossfire. 

I have already ordered the a8 6600k and it is on it's way. I bought the apu because I was thinking about getting the GPU further down the line maybe during the new year. I don't plan on running dual graphics I plan on using the apu for now then when I get the GPU I use the GPU independently. The reason I am in such a rush to get a my PC up and running is because my laptop that I am using at the moment is finally dying as it relates to the hard drive and I don't want to spend any money repairing it. So that is why I can't even wait until new years to get the 760k and a r7 260x. I can't do without a PC because I would go mad. I am coming from a console so below 60 fps 720-900 isn't a problem.

I have already ordered the a8 6600k and it is on it's way. I bought the apu because I was thinking about getting the GPU further down the line maybe during the new year. I don't plan on running dual graphics I plan on using the apu for now then when I get the GPU I use the GPU independently. The reason I am in such a rush to get a my PC up and running is because my laptop that I am using at the moment is finally dying as it relates to the hard drive and I don't want to spend any money repairing it. So that is why I can't even wait until new years to get the 760k and a r7 260x. I can't do without a PC because I would go mad.

You should be fine at 720p, I doubt you'll be able to play any intensive games at 1080p though (with the APU).

RIP in pepperonis m8s

You should be fine at 720p, I doubt you'll be able to play any intensive games at 1080p though (with the APU).

I don't plan on playing 1080p since I don't have a 1080p monitor. I most of all want to play Far Cry 4 and shadow of mordor and some more open world games like watchdogs and maybe some cs:go.

If you OCed both these chips on stock cooling on base grade boards, the Athlon would win because of the two extra cores.

It doesn't actually have two extra cores though, only two extra integer units. It has the same amount of floating point units as the G3258. (2)

Which means, for only one type of calculation can the Athlon be considered 'quad core' and for the other it's a dual core.

Then on top of that, it has a massive instructions per cycle disadvantage. G3258 beats it handily in almost every benchmark, even in 4-threaded applications.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Intel Fanboyism is like a cancer.

People with weak Pentiums and I3's are desperate to justify their purchases.

Intel Fanboyism is like a cancer.

People with weak Pentiums and I3's are desperate to justify their purchases.

tmw an i3 competes with 8350s in most games. 

/irony is a bitch 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($64.49 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $134.48

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-18 21:42 EST-0500

Or

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($77.95 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $177.94

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-18 21:48 EST-0500