Corsair HX650 vs HX650 V2

Torand

Seems to be very little info differentiating the two from each other on the inter webs. Certainly no cemented information, not even on corsairs site. On retailers websites the PSU is now a V2 with no stated differences...

Anyone got any info? It would be much appreciated as Aria currently have a HX650 V2 for £93 and Scan the HX650 for £100.

Basically what killerx said. I was going to go with that one for my rig, but ended up going for the Silverstone Strider Plus Gold 750W. It's a great price and is fully modular.

(Would've gone with an NCIX link but they dont sell it!)

The V2 is simply an updated version. I see no reason not to get the V2 if you're buying new. If you're getting a used V1 cheap off ebay or something then that's cool.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

It's just a newer version of a perfectly good PSU. There's really not much of a difference.

May I just insert my personal thoughts on that PSU. I have the "V2 Gold Certified" model and I'm at my second one right now writing this and it's going back to Corsair. The thing is the fan is just creeping me out! It makes a really annoying squeaking sound! This is my second one and it's even worse than the first one! After, if you want an RMA, you have to pay to ship it to them which for me costs 30$ each time! I'm kinda disappointed about that and this time (for my third HX650) I plan on getting some sort of compensation because I will be at 60$ of shipping + another 2-3 weeks without a computer... So before you buy, I'm just saying this is a problem that seems to come back often with this model, so be sure that if it does that, you're willing to go through RMA. I know it can happen on every PSU, but on this one, this seems to be a recurrent problem.

The problem in a video :

-Keven

@Larrive, jesus christ, that squeaking noise is shocking!

Wow, that noise is a little disturbing, it sounds as if the plastic on the top of the centre of the fan is rubbing on the base of the corsair logo. Try orienting it in the opposite to what you have it at now?

Other than that, thanks guys for the informative posts! :)

The main differences are the new updated 80+ Gold certification and the semi-passive cooling fan. However like someone mentioned above, there have been loads of problems with either squeaking noise from the fan or the semi-passive fan being quiet and then suddenly ramping up to full speed for no apparent reason for a few seconds.

Personally I would rather look at the AX series, the "old" Gold cerfified AX series have become quite reasonably priced since the new Platinum version were released so I dont really see a reason to get the HX series unless you can get it for significantly less.