Gun Control Laws (US citizens only please)

DarkLordDylan

I think a psychological evaluation should be done along with what is already being done. A person could have a perfectly clean record but still have some serious mental issues. I am all for gun ownership, i just think it should be regulated a little better. And by that i dont mean limit mag capacity ant things like that. I mean things like annual checkups on gun owners.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Why did you start this???

Read the LTT Beginner's Guide; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron

Spoiler

CPU: i5-4690k 4.1 GHz CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO GPU: Asus Gtx 970 Strix MOBO: ASUS Z97-E RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1600 SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Cooler Master 600W 80+ Bronze Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced 

I'm here for the prolonged argument with @Trik'Stari whenever I disagree with his opinion :P

I don't care whether Americans carry things that kill Americans... Less of them to walk around asking where the London eye is when I'm in London I guess (I mean, come on, it's a massive fucking wheel in the sky)

:P

I do think there should be some kind of checks though, some people should not be allowed guns. These people may have mental disorders or be murderers or whatever, they really should not be trusted under any circumstances with guns. These people can come back to Britain with their firearms and give them to gangs, which gives us an even bigger problem.

As for in Britain, I'm against guns, probably going to go on about some civilised country stuff but really, it's down to the fact that British people prefer knives and airsoft instead :P

Compatible with Windows 95

No more, no less.

Honestly there are so many illegal guns floating around it wont matter if they ban guns altogether or not. They are already easilly obtainable, just walk to the guy on the street in the hood, give him several hundred for a handgun or something.

To use a japanese proverb, "the nail that sticks out gets hammered"

And yet Japan is known for it's tighter gun laws :P

Compatible with Windows 95

In the US I'd start with banning high-capacity magazines and full auto handguns, SMGs, rifles, beltfeds etc. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to own those things. No private property needs that kind of defense. If you can't kill a couple of burglars with a semi-automatic handgun, you shouldn't be anywhere near a firearm.

So if the goal is to lower violent crime, you'd start by banning items that are statistically not used in violent crime?

I'm very happy with what they are right now.  I am a pretty big gun enthusiast myself.  One thing that can be improved in my opinion is, when conducting the background check, the broker should be able to see the entire criminal/mental history of the customer even down to traffic violations.  The salesman should then be able to refuse the transaction if they don't necessarily like what they see, like if the customer has a history of mental illness.  This might not help all that much with violence, but it could potentially save the gun shop from any liability if anything were to happen involving the firearm they sold.

The only real complaint I have is the price of ammo.  It could be cheaper. :P

Start by taking out the stuff that is known for being instrumental in highshool shootings (SMGs and high-capacity magazines) and the stuff that's just plain ridiculous.

A crazy person with a normal capacity handgun is going to do a lot less damage in the same amount of time than one with a full auto assault rifle.

Again, full auto stuff isn't a player in this. It's prohibitively expensive and heavily regulated already.

Giving criminals access to guns is not something that's done. That's why I asked about law-abiding citizens becoming criminals because of gun availability. How do we explain the violence that occurs using guns otherwise? In turn, with more regulation, how can you say injuries would be less severe or deaths would be fewer with any certainty? Citation needed on that "weapons of impulse" bit, too.

No, I agree that law-abiding citizens do not become criminals because they have access to guns, but my understanding is that the majority of guns used in violent crimes are obtained from law-abiding gun owners. And before you ask for a citation on that, why wouldn't they be? Most American criminals are not linked to al-Qaeda or the Mexican cartels, they have to purchase their guns legally or take them from someone who purchased them legally.

That guns are weapons of impulse is a matter of simple logic, not figures. Any other weapon requires more planning and preparation than a gun does. When you have a gun, you don't have to think, and that alone may make violent crime more likely and frequent. Its like having a remote control versus having to get up to change the channel. Point and click.

Suicide is an important point linked to that as well. If you don't have a gun, what other fast, instant method do you have? Anything else requires you to take extra time that will be spent thinking it through.

No, I agree that law-abiding citizens do not become criminals because they have access to guns, but my understanding is that the majority of guns used in violent crimes are obtained from law-abiding gun owners. And before you ask for a citation on that, why wouldn't they be? Most American criminals are not linked to al-Qaeda or the Mexican cartels, they have to purchase their guns legally or take them from someone who purchased them legally.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/procon/guns.html

i live in NY where guns are basically scarce unless your a gov. security/ army/ or a cop and i have been okay with it. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since.