Crossfire now then single card in the future.

I just want a second opinion on my situation.

On my main computer, I'm housing a MSI 280x which is powering an eyefinity setup (5760x1080) plus an auxiliary (12" cintiq). The most tasking things I do 3D modelling and gaming (anything from Counter-Strike to Star Citizen). I've been contemplating for a while about upgrading my graphics card. My plan: purchase another 280x (preferably the same one)  and run on crossfire. With all the sales going on, it's getting more and more tempting. And with the current Never Settle: Space Edition promotion, I was hoping to get my girlfriend started with Star Citizen too. I showed her the Mustang Omega model and she loved it. Although, in a year or two, when Star Citizen (hopefully) comes out, I plan on upgrading again to a more powerful single card solution (who knows what's out then) and transferring my crossfire cards into my secondary system, replacing its Gigabyte 6850 (powering a single 1920x1080). Hopefully then, 280x crossfire can still handle Star Citizen, but until, I would at least be able to run my games at >60 FPS on my main system.

I realize single card solutions are always 'better' and that some 290x cards are matching 280x prices with the current sales, but in 2(ish) years when I upgrade again and hand down a 290x to my secondary system, I would have a 280x just lying around. If I have two 280x's now, I could at least crossfire them later on the secondary. Also, there are the new nvidia cards, but no Never Settle: Space Edition with a Mustang Omega  :(.

Like I said, I just wanted a second opinion. Or someone to tell me I'm about to make a huge mistake....

My exp is CS:GO doesn't scale nice with crossfire.

and in 2 years 280 in crossfire might be worse then a 170-200 dollar card and new single card might also be cheaper on your power bill.

The other day I tried 280x CFX and then immediately after gaming with it decided yet again to pull the 2nd 280x and scrap CFX. The game in question was GRID Autosport. I had graphical issues in the game menu and then the gameplay experience was just not as good. The FPS were there but you know then Min frames were not THAT much better. I own three 280x cards and they are all in separate rigs. I have relayed to you my issues with one game. Trust me I have tried many others in the past but the result is always the same. Avoid 280x CFX IMO.