Good Hard Drives For Screen Recording

NHealthXD

Hey guys, I'm looking around for a secondary hard drive to put my recordings on, any suggestions?

Please provide us with some more info. What kind of recordings and what kind of system do you have? which OS and how much data is it?

I wouldn't exactly recommend a hard drive, probably an SSD would be better.

But a 1TB Caviar Black would probably work great.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Please provide us with some more info. What kind of recordings and what kind of system do you have? which OS and how much data is it?

I record games at 30 FPS at 720p. I have Windows 7. My CPU is an i5 running at 3.1 GHz. GPU is GigaByte GTX 650ti. For my new HDD OR SSD, 120 or 256 GB is enough

For the life of me I can't remember what the video was about but Linus has done a feature on SSD's vs HDD's for recording gameplay. It showed that with a SSD you go substantially better framerates because the computer didn't have to deal with the slower write times of a HDD. What happens is because the HD is slower, it bottlenecks the system and slows it all down while that data is written. The SSD has a faster write time so there is less of an effect thus meaning a smoother game and better footage. Also, don't run your recording software on its highest settings either, it can chew up space really really quickly.

Here's the video:

If you doing recordings, then you should record on your ssd to get the best performance because they have fast write speeds and reducing lag in the game.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Thanks for the replies :) I'm looking to get a Kingston HyperX 240 GB SSD

I'm currently using a Seagate 2TB Barracuda for recording Uncompressed AVI at 1280 x 720 30FPS. Unfortunately this isn't quite fast enough, as it often dips below 30FPS in the recording. Overclocking my 7950 will help keep it around 30FPS because I'm using dxtory, so maybe its not a write speed issue and instead a GPU issue. Recording uncompressed takes up a ton of space (around 1.5 GB/minute at 720p) so if you are a stickler for quality like I am, you will need a large amount of storage space. The best option for recording video is to go with a RAID set up.

Mechanical drives wont do the job properly.

I would go with a fast SSD, or even better, an SSD RAID 0

I would use mechanical drives in raid 0 and run the recording software and games from the SSD. If the HDD in raid 0 can't keep up with the write speeds then i would worry an SSD will not have enough storage to hold long videos.

If u do choose on a SSD option then bigger is always better, typically a larger SSD will be faster and have more room for the content you record.

make sure you set a quota on your ssd, i once started a recording on a ssd dedicated to recording and i filled it up 100% after which it crashed and i could not get it to work without full erase....

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<