PC headsets: 3.5mm, USB, and static in the background

Xyes

So I am very perplexed regarding a microphone issue and I am looking for input.  This is an issue that I mostly have to deal with on Skype, but I personally don't think that it is because of Skype.  I say that I have to deal with it on Skype because a number of my friends have headsets that sound very uncomfortable to me.  I suspect is has to do with the 3.5mm jack.  I did a quick search and generally it seems that people hold equipment using 3.5mm jacks in high regard (at least higher than USB).  This baffles me.

Let me explain.  I am using a Logitech G930 wireless headset.  It connects to my PC via a USB wireless dongle.  Whenever I do sound tests using programs on my computer (Skype, Sound Recorder, Sound Options/Listen to Device) my voice sounds crystal clear and perfect.  I am not just factoring that either.  I have recommended this headset to my friend and whenever we talk to each other on Skype; crystal clear.  Then when we invite certain people to the call, BAM, static and annoying sounds just seeps into the call.  I regrettably don't know what their sound system setup is, but I'm willing to bet it involves a 3.5mm jack.

Some of my friends sound worse than others which is likely because they are using lower quality mics, but here is a fun fact: I have a friend who uses a USB Xbox 360 controller that has a 2.5mm jack in it and he sounds good.  I don't hear background static, I don't hear distortions.  At this point I feel I should add, no one I know has a sound card in addition to what's on their motherboard.

I was looking for a good headset for my sister to use for Skype and gaming.  She has previously used cheapie 3.5mm headsets and the static was there.  Against my own feelings about 3.5mm, I went ahead and bought a Kingston HyperX Cloud for my sister.  I have been seeing a lot of reviewers talking good things about it so I figured I would give it a shot.

Sure enough, the background noise was there.  Doesn't matter if it was front ports or back ports.  I even tested it on my PC.  I'm guessing there could be options I can tick, that could make it sound better, but with my Logitech G930, the annoying noise is *simply  not there.*

I have the Mic Boost set all the way down, and I have played around with both computer's motherboard sound options (Realtek HD Audio).  All the drivers are updated and I've done all that "don't let anything automatically adjust my headset" poop but all I've managed to do was make it sound a little better some of the times.

I ordered a cheap 3.5mm to USB adapter just now to determine whether it would help, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  Worst case scenario I might just return HyperX and get another G930 or look around for a different usb headset.