What would you do?

Go to solution Solved by FrankV,

What compels the user to run memtest..? 

What OS ?, what MB Brand and is there a OC on any components?

What type of PSU/GPU is being used?

Lots of generic..no details..

This was intentional. I wanted to focus on next steps. 

I've never ran any of the memtests in my entire 13 years of building pc's and never ran into a problem.  Perhaps I've just been lucky enough not to have received any bad ram.

I've bought only from newegg dot com ftr and only Kingston, except for one time with ocz in 2008 8800gt+x2 6400 amd cpu build for w.o.w. and crysis 1.

If you have access a friend's pc.  Perhaps there is a misunderstanding somewhere?  Have your friend run the same version of memtest in his pc.  If no problems show up, THEN Try your ram in his motherboard if it's compatible and see if the same memtest results appear.  If no problems show up, that would make me question the validity of the memtest results, ESPECIALLY if your friend's pc has never encountered ANY problems.

AAah..the world of technological troubleshooting.  We learn so many possible variables of problems's causes that you would think variables alone would be justified as a new language in the world. lol.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Everyone i know has a laptop; and any desktop users out there have older DDR2 machines. So testing elsewhere wasn't possible. 

Anyway, here's the (hopefully) conclusion here. 

I've replaced the motherboard (previously, an ASRock motherboard) with an Asus M5 A97 R2.0. I set some RAM settings and ran memtest. It passed. I only let it go one pass as I felt that showed the components worked. 

I installed windows 8 and all has been well. Computer has been on for 12+ hours without an issues. 

As I reflect on this, it's possible that it was the motherboard but it's also possible that I didn't know how to set the motherboard settings regarding memory. 

I don't know if this is true, but I've realized that it's possible that the computer was too much of an aggressive build for default memory settings. I just don't know. 

Although I've fixed and swapped parts on many computers, I've never built one and haven't worked on a desktop of this later generation. A lot has changed and perhaps this is a case of not knowing what one doesn't know. 

Anyway, I believe (knock on wood) that this issue is fixed. 

Thanks all. 

Assume for a second that you've built a computer. You got the computer up and running. Windows installed and you're using it. Problems compel you to run MemTest which returns errors. 

You (1) replace the memory with brand new set. Couple days go by and you're compelled to run memtest again and again problems are reported. 

You (2) replaced the memory and the motherboard... And for good measure the power supply. 

You get it together and first thing is run memtest which again returns errors. 

You (3) replace the CPU. Get the computer back together and run memtest* and errors are still returned. 

What would you do at this point? You've invested say $900.00 in the computer, so scraping it isn't optimal. Just looking for ideas from others who've built computers. 

Thanks,
Frank

* Two version of memtest -- memtest86 and PassMark memtest.

Did the get memory get replaced with a set of the same kind? You might have gotten your hand on a bad batch of RAM, try and request that the retailer send you a diffrent kit of RAM.  

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I've run into three bad batches before. I would get a different set of RAM for testing.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Did the get memory get replaced with a set of the same kind? You might have gotten your hand on a bad batch of RAM, try and request that the retailer send you a diffrent kit of RAM.  

Between (1) and (2), different brands. Between (2) and (3) different sizes and kits but same brand. 

I don't think it could be a batch thing -- too many differences. 

Between (1) and (2), different brands. Between (2) and (3) different sizes and kits but same brand. 

I don't think it could be a batch thing -- too many differences. 

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a bad batch of RAM. Is there anything shorting out on you motherboard in the RAM region? This is really a strange problem, I have never heard anything like it before 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a bad batch of RAM. Is there anything shorting out on you motherboard in the RAM region? This is really a strange problem, I have never heard anything like it before 

I don't think so but I'll inspect for this... 

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

I've never ran any of the memtests in my entire 13 years of building pc's and never ran into a problem.  Perhaps I've just been lucky enough not to have received any bad ram.

I've bought only from newegg dot com ftr and only Kingston, except for one time with ocz in 2008 8800gt+x2 6400 amd cpu build for w.o.w. and crysis 1.

If you have access a friend's pc.  Perhaps there is a misunderstanding somewhere?  Have your friend run the same version of memtest in his pc.  If no problems show up, THEN Try your ram in his motherboard if it's compatible and see if the same memtest results appear.  If no problems show up, that would make me question the validity of the memtest results, ESPECIALLY if your friend's pc has never encountered ANY problems.

AAah..the world of technological troubleshooting.  We learn so many possible variables of problems's causes that you would think variables alone would be justified as a new language in the world. lol.

This was intentional. I wanted to focus on next steps. 

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Everyone i know has a laptop; and any desktop users out there have older DDR2 machines. So testing elsewhere wasn't possible. 

Anyway, here's the (hopefully) conclusion here. 

I've replaced the motherboard (previously, an ASRock motherboard) with an Asus M5 A97 R2.0. I set some RAM settings and ran memtest. It passed. I only let it go one pass as I felt that showed the components worked. 

I installed windows 8 and all has been well. Computer has been on for 12+ hours without an issues. 

As I reflect on this, it's possible that it was the motherboard but it's also possible that I didn't know how to set the motherboard settings regarding memory. 

I don't know if this is true, but I've realized that it's possible that the computer was too much of an aggressive build for default memory settings. I just don't know. 

Although I've fixed and swapped parts on many computers, I've never built one and haven't worked on a desktop of this later generation. A lot has changed and perhaps this is a case of not knowing what one doesn't know. 

Anyway, I believe (knock on wood) that this issue is fixed. 

Thanks all.