Planning to build a Ultra widescreen Gaming system combined with a Mac, need suggestions

LouisCell

First of all, plz forgive my possibly shitty English, which is far different compare to my native language...but still, I will try my best!

I will start to build around Jan.2015. My target is to have smooth gaming (The Witcher 3, TC's The Division, Battlefield 2143->if it will be released in 2015, and games at the similar level) experience on a 34" 3440X1440 curved display, possibly from LG or Samsung, while the monitor is also connected to a Mac Mini that I can switch to anytime. Both my PC and Mac shares the same set of Keyboard and Mouse (Mad Catz STRIKE 5 and RAT 9). When switching from my PC to the Mac, I do not expect to re-plug my keyboard and Mouse.

So the PC will be only for gaming, and the Mac is only for working, as I am so annoyed by the PC version MS office, and the relatively unstable Windows OS compare to the Mac OS. Is my desired setting even possible?

Secondly, about upgrading my current system. 

Here is my current system setup:

MSI Z87 GD65 motherboard

Intel i5 4670K

Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB DDR3 1600mHz Dual Channel

WD blue 750GB 7200rpm HDD

Gigabyte GTX660 Ti

500W power supply (too lazy to check the brand, but its a very nice and new model)

For the fluent gaming experience on a 3440X1440 display, here is my assumption for the system upgrade:

Same motherboard, as far as what I know, motherboard have no influence on gaming performance

Intel i7 4790K, since the price of the 4 series i7 is almost identical to each other, and I assume this CPU can fight on for almost 2 more years maybe?

Two more 4GB RAM is already on its way to my hand (will be in total 16GB)

A 250GB Samsung SSD maybe?

Now the Graphic Card. I'm looking at the Gigabyte GTX 980 G1, for its consumption-to-performance. However, considering that it is not a 20nm Maxwell that we are all expecting, and AMD claims that they will release a nuke in 2015. I really don't know whether I should wait or not. I heard that GTX 980 can't unleash the power of Maxwell due to it's 28nm architecture. So, should I just get the GTX 980 or I should wait? 

Furthermore, I'm also looking forward the nuke GPU that AMD claimed for early 2015, for which I assume it will definitely have the FreeSync technology. If I go GTX 980 or the 20nm Maxwell Nvidia card with the monitor I want, I can't experience the Gsync at all.

Also, I wonder if the GTX 980 is  even enough for gaming in such resolution. Maybe I'll need a pair of GTX970?

Finally, I assume that my power supply is enough if I go a single GTX 980?

If I go GTX970 sli, is a 850W power supply sufficient?

In here, the only thing I won't compromise is the 21:9 monitor.

Thank you all!! 

windows aint unstable bro, never had a crash in 3 years (apart from when i try something stupid)

but yeah if you use usb splitters on your peripherals and plug both the mac and the pc into the monitor you will only need to change input on the monitor via the buttons and switch pcs by turning one off and one on.

dont upgrade your cpu just a gpu upgrade and your good to go.

a 256gb ssd is a good choice

and as for your psu an 850 is plenty for gtx 970 sli which is what i recommend for that resolution

-

Welcome to the forum! Please remember to follow your topics so you're notified when someone answers ;) in my sig you can find links to the CoC and the forum's F.A.Q. check them out!  Also please remove the red and green from your post, they're pretty annoying :(

I don't think sharing a keyboard and mouse is possible, sorry. -edit. nvm @Toddwjp says it's possible

As for the upgrade, there's no reason to change the cpu. In games, an i7 will perform exactly like an i5. The i5 will probably last you more than 2 years.

The power supply is enough.

Don't get a 980, they're overpriced and only perform about 20% better than a 970 which is almost half the price. Get a 970 instead. If you really need more power, get a 650watt psu and 2 970s in SLI.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

SLI 970 and keep your CPU. That cpu will last way longer than 2 years. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I am so annoyed by the PC version MS office, and the relatively unstable Windows OS compare to the Mac OS.

You probably shouldn't bash Windows on a primarily Windows-based tech community. Just a thought. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Welcome to the forum! Please remember to follow your topics so you're notified when someone answers ;) in my sig you can find links to the CoC and the forum's F.A.Q. check them out!  Also please remove the red and green from your post, they're pretty annoying :(

I don't think sharing a keyboard and mouse is possible, sorry. -edit. nvm @Toddwjp says it's possible

As for the upgrade, there's no reason to change the cpu. In games, an i7 will perform exactly like an i5. The i5 will probably last you more than 2 years.

Don't get a 980, they're overpriced and only perform about 20% better than a 970 which is almost half the price. Get a 970 instead. If you really need more power, get a 650watt psu and 2 970s in SLI.

its theorectical possible, never tried it, but one system will have to be off.

windows aint unstable bro, never had a crash in 3 years (apart from when i try something stupid)

but yeah if you use usb splitters on your peripherals and plug both the mac and the pc into the monitor you will only need to change input on the monitor via the buttons and switch pcs by turning one off and one on.

dont upgrade your cpu just a gpu upgrade and your good to go.

a 256gb ssd is a good choice

and as for your psu an 850 is plenty for gtx 970 sli which is what i recommend for that resolution

THX for the reply!

Will definitely do the SSD!

The annoying thing about the windows OS to me is actually the auto update stuff. I concerned about the safety, yet, I hate the update stuff so bad. Sometimes the auto update just restarts my PC without asking or any popout... and with all of my stuff gone. As for the MS office, the software can't hold up when I open like 15 words, excels, and PPT, they just keep crashing for every 20 mins. That's why I'm considering to add a Mac for working.

OP edited!

THX for the reply, will keep the CPU and consider 970s SLI!

its theorectical possible, never tried it, but one system will have to be off.

THX for the reply!

So the Keyboard and the mouse can't work if I want both system stays on right? I was imagining some kind of switch to simply turn the input from one to another.

You probably shouldn't bash Windows on a primarily Windows-based tech community. Just a thought. ;)

I know...just my personal experience to both OS. I really prefer the experience of Mac OS, especially the Yosemite. Just awesome compare to windows 7/8. But i'm really looking forward to Win 10 though. :)

THX for the reply!

So the Keyboard and the mouse can't work if I want both system stays on right? I was imagining some kind of switch to simply turn the input from one to another.

yeah a switch could work

yeah a switch could work

THX!

Do you know what is this kind of switch called?