Got my first mechanical keyboard, hate it

Sean W.
Hey guys,

For the longest time I have been putting off getting a mechanical keyboard, I just havent seen the need. Everyone says, " oh they're way better, better for gaming, better for typing, just way awesome. They are awesome, you need one, go buy one NAOW!!! ". Back in the COD 4 days, I competed in tournaments, at the time I was using my dads old office HP keyboard and some mouse I found in the garage, I was very successful in the competitions, using some old keyboard and mouse, so I never really saw the need for " high end gaming peripherals". But,  Ok ok ok fine, Ill try one. So today I was wondering around Best Buy and came across the Corsair K65, its a ten-keyless mechanical RGB backlit keyboard, Ive been wanting to ditch the 10 key to get some desk real estate back, so I decided to splurge, went ahead and bought it.

The keyboard it was going to replace is the logitech K740. Ive had this keyboard for at least a year, Its super comfortable, ultra thin at just 1/3", is backlit and I can type like a bat out hell on it.

illuminated-keyboard-glamour-image-lg.pn

So, I get it home, open it up, get it all setup and first thing I notice is that the thing is like 3" thick, I also notice that its loud as sin ( red key switches, which in my understanding are the quietest switches ), the keys travel like 2" before bottoming out, not to mention they are hard to push down, they require quite a bit of force. But hey, what do I know, maybe all of these things equal a better gaming experience, so I load up Assassins Creed Black flag, intimidate all the Spaniards in Havana that I can find, get 25 of them to chase me and start an epic 25 on 1 duel. I found the distance I have to push each key cumbersome, annoying and time consuming, not to mention the extra effort I have to put into pushing each key distracting. Maybe Assassins creed isnt the right kind of game play for a keyboard like this, so I start up Unreal Tournament 1999, an extremely fast paced game the requires lots of fast movement, all the gripes in Assassins creed remaind. 

So for gaming I don't like it, but maybe the typing experience is a game changer, maybe its bliss. So I fired up note pad and just started typing my thoughts and just typed as quickly as I could. I was surprised that I was able to type faster than I am able to type on my membrane logitech keyboard, but found the extra effort and travel distance of pushing each key to be fatiguing.

I unplugged the Corsair K65, plugged my Logitech K740 membrane keyboard back in and instantly felt relieved. 

I dont know where all the hype is coming from, but I have zero desire to go back to a mechanical keyboard. Id love to hear your thoughts...

thanks!

You have to get used to them. You're used to pushing down way hard to bottom out the membrane keyboard. You don't want to bottom out on mechanicals. Or you just don't like them, but give it more time. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Ill buy the kb for $20 from you =D

But for reals, theres lots of different switches, blue red green brown, some require less pressure/force to push down and others are quieter too, you should get mx keyswitch sampler to see if you like blues or browns or whatever

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Ugh, you sound like my mom.

Can't respect your decision simply because you gave little time to adjust to it. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

AFAIK the K65 only comes in reds which may be your problem, you'd probably like browns better or you simply don't like the feel of mechanical keyboards. I would really get a Cherry MX sample kit before you rule out mechanical keyboards though.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

As far as I can tell, the K65 has Cherry MX Red switches. Red is a Linear switch, straight up an down.

I believe the fuss over mechanical keyboards is their tactile feedback. Brown switches, while moving up and down, have an actuation point that is less than full-key suppression, and provides a satisfying bump when the press registers (kind of like a typewriter)

Edit: this guy above me posted while I was researching my reply, but we both have the same idea and I would definitely recommend that sample kit if they still cost $0 after you buy a mechanical keyboard

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

The switch chooses the wizard, Harry.

It's ok, I hate red switches too. Don't give up on mechanical keyboards until you try other switches though. It'd be like playing a video game you didn't like and swearing off gaming forever because of it.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I was getting used to my KB for.... two weeks, I guess. And that is just for the "something's not right" thought to go away.

Take your time.

You're so used to low profile keys and a silent typing experience that you're going to hate everything that makes a little more noise and feels a little more robust than low profile keyboards.

Give it at least a week to getting used to it. Maybe coming from a low profile rubber dome keyboard was a bit of a "radical" change. I would try going going for a couple of days on a high profile keys rubber dome kb (borrowed) and then your mechanical kb so you're not annoyed with the new feeling.

It is fine to hate mechanical keyboards but one thing to know is the switch activates around the middle of the traval with no real sounds, bottoming the switch out makes more noise.

Give it some time to see if you adjust I will not try to tell you that you will like it later but give it a shot

I myself use cherry mx blacks and greens which both use more force then reds and dont notice strain from the force. Also the reason the keyboard is so thick is the switches themselves are more then likely thicker then your old keyboard lol.

Mechanical keyboards are not for everyone. Or its a matter of finding the perfect switch for you. From what I understood from your post, you are trying to bottom out the keys; you do not have to push the buttons all the way down to activate them. You also say they feel heavy even though MX Reds are extremely light. Maybe the problem then is that you can't feel that actuation point and thus push the buttons until they hit the backplate, which makes a lot of noise. You might find MX Browns or Blues better as they have a tactile bump and/or an audible click when they actuate so you don't have to push the button all the way to bottom.

Then there are different mechanical switches altogether, like Topre and ALPS. Buying a mechanical keyboard, at least in my opinion, requires some research and if possible, testing out the different kinds of switches to find the one best suited for you. There is nothing wrong with liking the "non-mechanical" switches, though. Many people like scissor switches, which I assume your old keyboard used. Its just a matter of preference.

One last thing to note is that mechanical keyboards aren't really bought to become better at something. Think of it like getting an expensive luxury car; it doesn't make you a better driver but everything feels better when driving it. :)

I hate red switches too! You should give blue ones a try :) The thing that makes mechanical keyboards to great is the feed back they provide. You get none on a red switch. Browns give you tactile feedback and blues give you both tactile and audible feedback. They're great!

just need to get used to it. Also, you should have tried before buying.

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

give it time, you'll learn to like it

i actually really like the clicky nature of the keyboard, kinda relaxing when you get a rhythm of typing going

Looking for a job

AFIK the K65 only comes in reds which may be your problem, you'd probably like browns better or you simply don't like the feel of mechanical keyboards. I would really get a Cherry MX sample kit before you rule out mechanical keyboards though.

Yes, I got myself a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid with Cherry MX Reds, really disliked it after getting it, and I'm sure Browns would be better. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate the gentle replies, I thought I was going to get torn apart. 

i suppose I didnt give it a good college try, with still wanting a 10 keyless, and having a 2 week return time frame, ill plug it back in and try again.

omg dude yeah im about to get a "mechanical keyboard"  not sure if its all hype or if its actually good lol... although im pushing cherry mx blue...  idk well if I never buy and try it ill probably never know its its good or not.

Hey guys,

For the longest time I have been putting off getting a mechanical keyboard, I just havent seen the need. Everyone says, " oh they're way better, better for gaming, better for typing, just way awesome. They are awesome, you need one, go buy one NAOW!!! ". Back in the COD 4 days, I competed in tournaments, at the time I was using my dads old office HP keyboard and some mouse I found in the garage, I was very successful in the competitions, using some old keyboard and mouse, so I never really saw the need for " high end gaming peripherals". But,  Ok ok ok fine, Ill try one. So today I was wondering around Best Buy and came across the Corsair K65, its a ten-keyless mechanical RGB backlit keyboard, Ive been wanting to ditch the 10 key to get some desk real estate back, so I decided to splurge, went ahead and bought it.

The keyboard it was going to replace is the logitech K740. Ive had this keyboard for at least a year, Its super comfortable, ultra thin at just 1/3", is backlit and I can type like a bat out hell on it.

illuminated-keyboard-glamour-image-lg.pn

So, I get it home, open it up, get it all setup and first thing I notice is that the thing is like 3" thick, I also notice that its loud as sin ( red key switches, which in my understanding are the quietest switches ), the keys travel like 2" before bottoming out, not to mention they are hard to push down, they require quite a bit of force. But hey, what do I know, maybe all of these things equal a better gaming experience, so I load up Assassins Creed Black flag, intimidate all the Spaniards in Havana that I can find, get 25 of them to chase me and start an epic 25 on 1 duel. I found the distance I have to push each key cumbersome, annoying and time consuming, not to mention the extra effort I have to put into pushing each key distracting. Maybe Assassins creed isnt the right kind of game play for a keyboard like this, so I start up Unreal Tournament 1999, an extremely fast paced game the requires lots of fast movement, all the gripes in Assassins creed remaind. 

So for gaming I don't like it, but maybe the typing experience is a game changer, maybe its bliss. So I fired up note pad and just started typing my thoughts and just typed as quickly as I could. I was surprised that I was able to type faster than I am able to type on my membrane logitech keyboard, but found the extra effort and travel distance of pushing each key to be fatiguing.

I unplugged the Corsair K65, plugged my Logitech K740 membrane keyboard back in and instantly felt relieved. 

I dont know where all the hype is coming from, but I have zero desire to go back to a mechanical keyboard. Id love to hear your thoughts...

thanks!

It could just be the Reds. A lot of people, including myself, hates reds with passion! Try Browns!

topre most resemble the membrane you're used to; but they're also the most expensive by a significant margin...

Well, I see what the problem is already.

You're used to bottoming out on a membrane keyboard. When on a mechanical switch you only need to go about halfway before it registers.

I would take the key board back and look for a keyboard that has blue or brown mechanical switches so that way you can feel where the actuation point of your keys are. You have a linear keyboard while great for gaming, not so great for typing.

Alternatively, if you can't be bothered to change your typing style, you could pick up a short throw design scissor switch keyboard for 12 bucks and will give you a quicker response time while gaming than your membrane keyboard.

Also, depending on how much you want to spend, you could look up a topre short throw keyboard from Japan. Specifically the Topre HE0100. Giving you a great typing experience with short travel switches that closely resemble your membrane switches.

I do have to say that Logitech kb looks cool and sleek. I hated Blues, now trying Browns. I make more typos but I like typing on them more and they are sooo quiet compared to blues.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I do have to say that Logitech kb looks cool and sleek. I hated Blues, now trying Browns. I make more typos but I like typing on them more and they are sooo quiet compared to blues.

Get some lubrication on your browns. You'll love it even more.

Get some lubrication on your browns. You'll love it even more.

lol nah dont wana get that sexual with it

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M