Got my first mechanical keyboard, hate it

Sean W.

I dont know where all the hype is coming from, but I have zero desire to go back to a mechanical keyboard. Id love to hear your thoughts...

All aboard the mechanical keyboard hype train lol

I would have to agree with your some of your assessments. There is really no reason to go with a mechanical keyboard for gaming IMO. Didn't make a bit of a difference for me. Like you though I did notice a nice increase in performance while typing.

For someone gaming your money is much better spent on a nice mouse or at least one that you can fine tune to your preferences.

I'm using cherry mx blue switches btw

As said before, it sounds like you're bottoming out. Membrane keyboards require you to push all the way down, mechanicals require you to go only part-of-the-way, which is why you can type a bit faster with them.

I myself don't have mechanical, but I have my eyes on the Poseidon product line. Give it another try, and I'm expecting you'll find opposite results.

[witty signature]

I would agree that it is personal preference, but it seems like you never really gave yourself a chance to adjust to it.

+1 to Verne's comment. It seems you are bottoming out the keys which is causing the noise. If you press the keys down slowly and gently you'll find 1. they don't make nearly as much noise when bottoming out and 2. the actuation point is only 2mm, while the bottom is 4mm. You only have to press 2mm for the keystroke to register.

Reminds me of my Sennheiser HD518's. While not a keyboard ofc, I upgraded from some shitty sennheiser earbuds and immediately didn't like the difference. I was simply used to my earbuds. Whether you end up liking the Reds in the end or not, it will take more than a short test to see if you like them.

Red's suck from my experience. Get a keyboard with MX Blacks and get dampeners and you'll be in heaven. Get the V2 or CODE from WASD and have the dampeners installed by them to save the trouble.

I had the K95 with MX Reds from Corsair and worse typing and gaming experience of my life so it's has nothing to do with mechanical keyboards.

You've been fooled op different people have different preferences. I love my MX browns but good old cheap rubber domes work just fine for me if I have no choice.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

It may be the red switches. I prefer membrane keyboard to red switches, but I still like my brown switches above all else.

But I will say this: it took me a few days to adjust to a mechanical keyboard. Give it some time, and maybe find somewhere to try out other switches without having to buy the keyboard (a friend, a display model keyboard, etc).

As far as I can tell, the K65 has Cherry MX Red switches. Red is a Linear switch, straight up an down.

I believe the fuss over mechanical keyboards is their tactile feedback. Brown switches, while moving up and down, have an actuation point that is less than full-key suppression, and provides a satisfying bump when the press registers (kind of like a typewriter)

Edit: this guy above me posted while I was researching my reply, but we both have the same idea and I would definitely recommend that sample kit if they still cost $0 after you buy a mechanical keyboard

Yeah I'm almost positive Cooler Master/CM Storm does this with their samplers, where if you end up buying from them, they'll refund you the cost of the sampler.

Reds suck. They're mushy as hell.

Also, all this love for browns. What gives?

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

I hate reds, why on Earth would one want to use linear switches when the whole point of mechanical keyboards is to feel that tactile bump.

So yes, try all kinds of switches, browns, blues, greens, clear, buckling spring, topre are all available at affordable prices (topre not so much but I digress).

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I hate reds, why on Earth would one want to use linear switches when the whole point of mechanical keyboards is to feel that tactile bump.

So yes, try all kinds of switches, browns, blues, greens, clear, buckling spring, topre are all available at affordable prices (topre not so much but I digress).

the point of mechanical has nothing to do with feeling a bump lol it is just a different way of doing keyboards them membrane

I have the same Logitech keyboard you do OP. I've been using it for a few years and I'm planning to get the K70 rgb in browns later this year when I build my first rig. I already got a sampler kit and I definitely recommend getting one before buying/giving up on mech keyboards since actually feeling the keys instead of people telling you to get "x" keyboard with "purple lubed oring infused hyper switches with pnumatic pistons" makes it kind of hard to figure out what you will find enjoyable for day to day use.

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

The RED is hard to push down?  You either have a defective KB or....you have the strength of a fly.  Reds get pushed down just resting a finger on it..

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.