Apple wants to kill the normal SIM card (updated to fix a really dumb mistake i made...)

AlexGoesHigh

Defeats the purpose of having a fucking SIM in the first place. Leave it to apple to innovate in a dumb way.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

How the fuck is this supposed to work outside the US/Canada? Can anyone not from America (Or any other country that isn't covered by AT&T, Verizon, etc.) chime in?

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

How the fuck is this supposed to work outside the US/Canada? Can anyone not from America (Or any other country that isn't covered by AT&T, Verizon, etc.) chime in?

As far as I understood it, you can just download the necessary service information through internet or I guess if you don't have access to internet, just visit a store and load the information with the data cable.

So they want to kill the SIM card so they can make their SIM card which can work on all carriers but doesn't unless you actually ask them.

Jeez.

Not to mention not all carriers will be supported.Noo way.Maybe US-only.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Terrible. So if I want to switch to a carrier that's not on Apple list I get to eat shit.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

You guys are silly, I find this a good thing because this forces devices to be unlocked and usable on every network in the world. It saves the hassle of finding some shady store in china to get a sim card because now you can just pick w.e. carrier.

Lets get rid of a thing that sits in your phone, from the day u get it, to the day u stop using it.

sim cards are so innocent. Leave them alone :'(

You guys are silly, I find this a good thing because this forces devices to be unlocked and usable on every network in the world. It saves the hassle of finding some shady store in china to get a sim card because now you can just pick w.e. carrier.

The thing is, the people that are against this are only against it because it's Apple. If google said they were going to do the same thing everyone would be enjoying it. This is better than changing sims because you just pick what carrier and what service you want without physically changing hardware. The problem is, a lot of people in this thread are literally retarded and just anti apple so anything with apple in it is instantly marked as a bad thing. 

It's no different than when apple wanted to get rid of the optical drive. Everyone with an anti apple hat threw a fit and acted like idiots (just like they are now). Now, how many years ago was that, and how many other companies have followed suit in their own products without optical drives? The answer, a lot. Optical drives are no longer needed. We evolved past them. We will evolve past sim cards at some point too. 

Well... This time Apple kinda screwed up, I'll admit it.

It's most likely US only. There are no CDMA carriers in the EU or the majority of the world. 

The laws here regarding phone unlocking and carrier swapping would make it a legal hell for them.

This is all IF it's even true.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I like having a sim, I am constantly swapping between 3 phones, swapping out the sim takes 3 seconds and all my contacts and carrier data are transferred.  The thought of not only having to call my carrier every time I want to swap phones but syncing my contacts is a huge inconvenience.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I really don't see the point of this. If I want to switch carrier I just go to the carrier I want to change to, tell them all my details, and they give me a new SIM and says "okay, your new SIM will be activated in an hour or so".

How would this make it more simple? Also, what about smaller carriers? If I understand this correctly, each carrier will have to contact each phone manufacturer to make sure their network works on their phones. Isn't that a terrible idea compared to "if you support GSM and put any GSM SIM in it, it will work"?

On top of that, it will make it really hard or impossible to easily swap SIM with another phone. I've had to swap SIM cards a few times for troubleshooting. Are you telling me that now I can't just take the SIM from one phone to the other, but instead I have to unregister my phone and then register the other phone, and then when I am done I have to do the whole process again? No matter how simple they make the registration process it will not be as easy and quick.

I really don't see any benefit to this other than "Hey look! We are different!". I guess it makes it more of a pain in the ass to change from the iPhone to any other phone which is good for Apple. Make that wall around the garden a bit taller so people won't escape as easily.

I really don't see the point of this. If I want to switch carrier I just go to the carrier I want to change to, tell them all my details, and they give me a new SIM and says "okay, your new SIM will be activated in an hour or so".

How would this make it more simple? Also, what about smaller carriers? If I understand this correctly, each carrier will have to contact each phone manufacturer to make sure their network works on their phones. Isn't that a terrible idea compared to "if you support GSM and put any GSM SIM in it, it will work"?

On top of that, it will make it really hard or impossible to easily swap SIM with another phone. I've had to swap SIM cards a few times for troubleshooting. Are you telling me that now I can't just take the SIM from one phone to the other, but instead I have to unregister my phone and then register the other phone, and then when I am done I have to do the whole process again? No matter how simple they make the registration process it will not be as easy and quick.

I really don't see any benefit to this other than "Hey look! We are different!". I guess it makes it more of a pain in the ass to change from the iPhone to any other phone which is good for Apple. Make that wall around the garden a bit taller so people won't escape as easily.

snap.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I would hope so, sim cards are old tech. This is what happens when old tech gets phased out. Crazy people act crazy.

Yeah! Who needs unlocked phones and easy contact saving anyway?

Go away.

Is it me or everybody is complaining without knowing all the details ? It could be pretty awesome if it's done well. I could see myself just making 4-5 clicks and being connected to my provider plan. No need to manually switch the damn thing...

Take a new phone, click click boom, you're using your phone number to text & call. Sounds pretty cool, if it's what it is...

Look at how CDMA carriers are. All this will mean is less unlocked phones, especially in the US.

Go away.

And how would the Apple SIM make unlocking impossible? Why would contacts only be saved to SIMs? Most phones/OS already let you save to and sync from the cloud... If this "technology" gets adopted more widely, all it means is that we don't need a "physical media" from the service provider anymore. Everything could be done via the Internet or data cables at stores.

Well if customers call me when I'm at work they're screwed if they have a device like this. "My phone doesn't work, won't turn on and doesn't have warranty or insurance" my response would be "you're stuck with that phone that won't turn on for the remainder of your contract as we can't swap out the sim into another device"

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

And how would the Apple SIM make unlocking impossible? Why would contacts only be saved to SIMs? Most phones/OS already let you save to and sync from the cloud... If this "technology" gets adopted more widely, all it means is that we don't need a "physical media" from the service provider anymore. Everything could be done via the Internet or data cables at stores.

All smaller carriers die, and you can forget ever importing again. It also makes switching carriers and activating phones more complicated. Have you ever used a CDMA phone?

I swear, Apple fanboys will defend anything...

Go away.

My phone is unlocked by default, and who saves contacts to sim cards these days? You don't have them sync with google or another service? It's 2014, stop living in your cave. 

No you. 

I don't know about you but I don't want my contact list to be synced to the cloud, I don't trust the cloud with certain information. And I also don't want to have to go into a store every time I swap between my flip phone and smartphone.

My phone is unlocked by default, and who saves contacts to sim cards these days? You don't have them sync with google or another service? It's 2014, stop living in your cave. 

No you. 

I have three jobs, and one of them takes me out of data range, but I still get basic 3g phone coverage. One requires I have sensitive information in my contacts.  I really don't see an easier way to swap phones than simply swapping the sim card across. 

i changed carriers and numbr today and i got my new sim 

a question came in my mind why is this so big ? ,when companies try to squeese averything sim card is just too big for what it does 

i believe what appple tries to do is nice and if it is going to provide more functionality to my phone (e.g a radio antena)

i don't see any negatives in this move 

All smaller carriers die, and you can forget ever importing again. It also makes switching carriers and activating phones more complicated. Have you ever used a CDMA phone?

I swear, Apple fanboys will defend anything...

More complicated? More easier, you'll just choose your network just as you choose your WiFI network. And how will it kill small carriers? Apple doesn't control who gets in, the carriers themselves choose to be included. And if the tech gets wider adoption, it will have nothing at all to do with Apple.

And there is the "Apple fanboys" comment. I'll retort with Apple haters will hate anything with Apple associated. This is more than just "Apple does a thing"; its promising new technology that others can adopt, too.

I don't know about you but I don't want my contact list to be synced to the cloud, I don't trust the cloud with certain information. And I also don't want to have to go into a store every time I swap between my flip phone and smartphone.

I have three jobs, and one of them takes me out of data range, but I still get basic 3g phone coverage. One requires I have sensitive information in my contacts.  I really don't see an easier way to swap phones than simply swapping the sim card across. 

You are the minority here. That might inconvenience you but you aren't the norm. If you need three different numbers why don't you just carry two phones? Keep your personal on and swap the other sims around? Or get a dual sim phone. 

Also, what you are missing is that you could still change the provider, you would probably just have to switch profiles (nobody knows how this will work yet so I'm just guessing, as is everyone else). I don't see why this is such a big deal unless you swap sims (like you do) which I doubt a lot of people do. 

You are the minority here. That might inconvenience you but you aren't the norm. If you need three different numbers why don't you just carry two phones? Keep your personal on and swap the other sims around? Or get a dual sim phone. 

Also, what you are missing is that you could still change the provider, you would probably just have to switch profiles (nobody knows how this will work yet so I'm just guessing, as is everyone else). I don't see why this is such a big deal unless you swap sims (like you do) which I doubt a lot of people do. 

I don't have two numbers, I have three phones and one sim card, one that has a battery that lasts a week for remote work, my smartphone for local work that is sensitive, and I do have a dual sim card for when I holiday and I put both mine and my wife's sim in so we only have to carry and charge one phone.  I swap the sim to the phone I require at the time. So as you can see a system of profiles instead of a sim card for me seems quite inconvenient.

The thing is, the people that are against this are only against it because it's Apple. If google said they were going to do the same thing everyone would be enjoying it. This is better than changing sims because you just pick what carrier and what service you want without physically changing hardware. The problem is, a lot of people in this thread are literally retarded and just anti apple so anything with apple in it is instantly marked as a bad thing. 

It's no different than when apple wanted to get rid of the optical drive. Everyone with an anti apple hat threw a fit and acted like idiots (just like they are now). Now, how many years ago was that, and how many other companies have followed suit in their own products without optical drives? The answer, a lot. Optical drives are no longer needed. We evolved past them. We will evolve past sim cards at some point too. 

i agree people sometimes flames on apple without thinking it through, but this isn't one of those time, the comment i quoted below put it best, also this tech puts you at the mercy of either the manufacture or the carrier or both, and like i said in the OP this could go two ways and i'm sure the latter is more possible that the former because carriers ALWAYS pursuit the option that gives them more money, not the one that benefits consumers the most

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here