MSI gtx 970 vs Gigabyte R9 290x

Hey guys, I know this might be a bit of a heated topic, but specs,sound (Fan noise) , preformance, software and crossfire/Sli, what is a better gpu? Also, I am going to be upgrading from an Nvidia card, so if i got an amd card would it be plug and play, or would I have to uninstall nvidia drivers then install amd drivers?

R9 290x: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS866AK/?tag=pcpapi-20 

Gtx 970: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NN0GIA0/?tag=pcpapi-20 

Also, If you like one more than the other, do you recommend one more than the one I am looking at? 

Build Modulus

[x] Intel Core i7 3770 [x] PNY xlr8 16gb(2x8) 1600mhz [x] Asus Strix 970 [x] Corsair h90, 3x corsair sp140, 1x Corsair af120 [x] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [x] NZXT S340 [x] EVGA superNOVA NEX 650w [x] Asus xonar DG,Beyerdynamic dt770 Pro (80ohms), PreSonus M7, PreSonus AudioBox [x] WASD keyboard 104 key(Mx Brown) [x] Corsair M65 RGB [x] WD Blue 1TB 7200 HDD, WD passport 1tb [x] Asus VN247H-P, BenQ 2420Z [x]

Cycling Gear

[x] Giant Defy 5 [x] CamelBak Classic 2L [x] Nishiki Socorro [x] Giro Bravo Blue Jewel/Black [x] Midland Xtra-Talk w/ Headset (For Group Rides) [x] Casio G-Shock G100-1BV [x] Zefal Saddle Bag [x] Giant Control Mini MTB+ Frame Pump [x] Schwinn Expanding Cage [x] 2* Giant 700c*25c Tubes - Presta Valve [x] 2* Tire Levers [x] Stanley Allen Key Set [x] Mini-Lock For Saddle Bag [x]

You will have to uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and out of those two I'd personally be going with the GTX 970.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

IMO 1440P or lower 970. over 1440p the 290x is still solid. unless your gaming at 4k or running surround monitors the only real advantage for the 290x is that it is in stock and slightly higher performing in some games. 

yes if you swap to AMD you will need to remove your nvidia drivers.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Both are great cards but i would suggest the 970 as it consumes less power and runs cooler and seems to perform better

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

Yes, you would have to reinstall drivers. The performance between the two is very similar. I would personally go with the 970 because it performs around the same and has all the benefits of Nvidia like GeForce Experience and more reliable drivers. AMD's strong point is usually price/performance, but Nvidia has matched AMD with the 970. 

I would go with the 970 so you dont have to uninstall drivers, less power needed, more stable drivers, overclocking potential and it wont be as noisy as the 290x.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

1080p and below gaming and up to 4k video watching the 970 will be the better choice
1440p and 2160p aka 4k the 290x will preform better but will need you to uninstall the nvidia driver and install an amd driver for it.

advtage to the 970 is less noise from not haveing to run the fan as fast and less heat from using less power
disadvtage is that the 970 has a smaller memory bus so it struggles more with anything above 1200p

advtage to the 290x it can handle and give around 50 to 75 fps in 1440p games and around 45 to 60 fps in 4k in morden games
disadtage to it is that it generates a ton of heat and if you do not have a good cooling system it will throttle itself back to prevent melting the silicon it also ussualy has the fans running at max if you are playing a game at max or even high on some games and that might be to much noise for you but if you have a liquid cooled one then this is not going to be an issue.

970 is the better card and has some really nice features like MFAA, great overclock ability and low power consumption.