So something just happened, it's really freaking me and my GF out...

So last night I sent a text to my GF at like 3:11am, she got something different, have a look...

post-50968-0-34548900-1413439778.jpg

As you can see, I'm on WP8.1 and she's on Android 4.1.2. We're both on Telstra, this happened while using Telstra's network (i.e, using the towers).

This might not be anything serious, but it's really freaking me and my GF out. It feels like someone is imitating me, since I do say "lawl" a fair bit. Please be serious about this guys, reports will be coming thick and fast for anyone who thinks they'll be funny for a second.

What the fuck is this?

On another note, she's having major internet issues which is making voice calling on Skype just about impossible. She uses WiFi, so is it possible someone in the area might be intercepting transmissions?

Edit: Btw I never call her bitch, even as a joke. I feel like it's too harsh

Edit 2: Mum pointed out that it could've been an internal error, so my message could've been mixed up with someone elses. What do you guys think of that? If that's the case, that means someone else has been told someone loves them! LOL

#PanicEdits

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Ah man, another one of these relationship threads.....

Well i'm dumb, i misread this post, i'd just read it from the title. Sorry for that thing i'd just said.

Anyway, you could try another WiFi network to see if someone is still imitating you. Also could't you use your mobile data instead? WiFi might not always be safe if it's a open network. If the WiFi network was open, somebody could be intercepting transmissions if they gain access to the network. If this were to continue after changing networks, then i would suggest doing a hard reset to delete all apps and other things because it could delete something that was installed in your phone that would imitating you.

Weird...Can a hacker do that in less than a minute?

I would recommend changing your router password ASAP as well as your wireless password. 

Maybe turn off your wireless for a few days and just use a wired connection if that's feasible (for PC connection). Use regular SMS on your phone or mobile data, as suggested above.   

Ah man, another one of these relationship threads.....

Well i'm dumb, i misread this post, i'd just read it from the title. Sorry for that thing i'd just said.

Anyway, you could try another WiFi network to see if someone is still imitating you. Also could't you use your mobile data instead? WiFi might not always be safe if it's a open network. If the WiFi network was open, somebody could be intercepting transmissions if they gain access to the network.

All good man. It's on the Telstra network, she uses WiFi for her general Internet stuff

iI feel like this would have to with android.

She googled for a bit and found that it happens on iOS as well.

#ctOS

#Hacks

#BlameYourBrother

Please keep it serious man, I'm pretty stressed about this

Weird...Can a hacker do that in less than a minute?

I would recommend changing your router password asap. 

Yeah we were using the Telstra network, edited my post

What mobile networks are the both of you on? Who does the main line of both your phones belong to? Here in the US, companies like Sprint, T-Mobile and probably multiple more have features built into them that allows interception, replacement, and blocking as part of a parental control.

If this kind of issue continues then you may be getting trolled pretty hard. (also, T-Mobile has WiFi calling, so a network breech could also be the case)

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

What mobile networks are the both of you on? Who does the main line of both your phones belong to? Here in the US, companies like Sprint, T-Mobile and probably multiple more have features built into them that allows interception, replacement, and blocking as part of a parental control.

If this kind of issue continues then you may be getting trolled pretty hard. (also, T-Mobile has WiFi calling, so a network breech could also be the case)

Edited my post, we're on Telstra (Australia)

That's kind of freaky... I try to limit my use of WiFi to my home network only, and use LTE/4G everywhere else I go.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

It's on the Telstra network, she uses WiFi for her general Internet stuff

Maybe trying a different WiFi network to see if it's gone? If all else fails then do a Factory Data Reset so that it might delete the thing that could be installed on your phone that's tapping your texts.

Why would anyone do this and so subtle too... wtf? Either you have a grade-A stalker/psycho on your hands trying to mess with your GF or this isn't real - we're on the internet after all... :P

Edit: are you using the actual cellular SMS or something like watsapp that sends over internet?

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Maybe trying a different WiFi network to see if it's gone? If all else fails then do a Factory Data Reset so that it might delete the thing that could be installed on your phone that's tapping your texts.

Why would anyone do this and so subtle too... wtf? Either you have a grade-A stalker/psycho on your hands trying to mess with your GF or this isn't real - we're on the internet after all... :P

Edit: are you using the actual cellular SMS or something like watsapp that sends over internet?

We were using just the standard text messaging service thing, no 3rd party apps involved here.

Edit: Just a bit of a humblebrag here, she is really attractive so I could imagine someone might want her to think I'm some kind of asshole, so they could have a chance with her. If that's the case, they're not very smart, she saw right through it haha

We were using just the standard text messaging service thing, no 3rd party apps involved here.

Edit: Just a bit of a humblebrag here, she is really attractive so I could imagine someone might want her to think I'm some kind of asshole, so they could have a chance with her. If that's the case, they're not very smart, she saw right through it haha

Well saw that edit, let's hope it's that.

Well if you're using the mobile network you you absolutely alert them. Maybe you'll get some benefits from it too...

Also start using a third party messaging app. 

Well if you're using the mobile network you you absolutely alert them. Maybe you'll get some benefits from it too...

Also start using a third party messaging app. 

I was hoping I wouldn't have to, I don't really want Telstra snooping on my conversations with my GF... I suppose they probably do anyway

Well it's not necessary because your conversations are harmless, nothing overly secretive. 

But you should let them know what happened (they may be able to track it), tell them what's up and get a years worth of credit for free or threaten to call in the local journos. 

Has this happened before? 

Well it's not necessary because your conversations are harmless, nothing overly secretive. 

But you should let them know what happened (they may be able to track it), tell them what's up and get a years worth of credit for free or threaten to call in the local journos. 

Has this happened before? 

True, nah it hasn't happened before. Well, at least I think it hasn't..

Most likely a SMS center error...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Most likely a SMS center error...

I was thinking that was a pretty good possibility, the nature of the error makes it look malicious though...

I was thinking that was a pretty good possibility, the nature of the error makes it look malicious though...

I imagine that these were two different, but similar messages, and they somehow got mixed up. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

so it's just a coincidence that the message still sorta makes sense?  

I imagine that these were two different, but similar messages, and they somehow got mixed up. 

That's what I was thinking. I talk about that in my edits

In the blurred out part at the bottom I say that I love her right, so I wonder if someone else got that bit? Might be confusing/embarrassing for whoever it got mixed up with :P

so it's just a coincidence that the message still sorta makes sense?  

Yeah that's why I got worried, it seems malicious

Another thought I had with this though (I might edit this into the original post), I've heard that Cortana learns how you talk and stuff, so I wonder if they installed things that do that (in the Cyan update) before I get Cortana so that the program already knows me a fair bit, and that message was the result of an error in that area. I do say things like "lawl" a lot and I do call various people bitches a fair bit, so I'm wondering if there was a muck-up between writing it and sending it that caused what we see there