Imagine if Nvidia and Noctua made a GPU together :o

TechNut1337

They have very good engineers that could make an AiO better than anyone else. Why do you think their fans are some of the best? Because they do a lot of R&D and they have great engineers. It's not like they are limited to making just fans...

R&D = a large investment. Especially if they've never done a product like that before. And with the AIO market being as oversaturated as it is right now I don't think that it would be worth their time. I don't doubt their engineers, not in any way, but I don't think that it's a sensible investment when they're doing really well in their current market.

I would be a /fan/ of it. Unless it is cream & brown.

I kinda want Noctua to try its luck at making cooling units for GPUs. They've got their legendary reputation already so might as well try it out!

You forgot the cream fan blades

I got lazy.

The all new GTX 980 Chocolate Edition Featuring Real Hershey's Chocolate! Overclock your brand new GPU to bring out our all new MeltingPoint Technology!

It was going to be more tan but paint.net didn't want to work with me.

Just buy aftermarket heatsink and install noctua fans to that?

Where's the fun in that :(

My Laptop
Apple Macbook Pro 13' with Retina Display, 2.4 GHz Core i5, 4 GB 1600 GHz DDR3, 256 GB m.2 SSD, OS X Yosemite, VMware Fusion Pro running Windows 7 and Ubuntu
<p>

Because we're all waiting for this...

- does not deserve a spoiler - 

I puked in my mouth a little.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

I puked in my mouth a little.

Now swallow! :P

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I would grab these cards up in a heart beat because my case is mad out of wood therefore they would look amazing.

More of a milk chocolate colour to me.

Do you sometimes mistake it for your chocolate milk drink? :P :lol:

AiOs look far better than having a block of aluminum strapped to your motherboard blocking out the view of everything else with an ugly chrome finish.

Also AiOs perform better and are easier to mount or swap when replacing components.

Ugly chrome finish? You definitely haven't seen the Cryorig R1 Ultimate/Universal and any of bequiet's coolers. No chrome for miles  :P

img_02.jpg

And better performance? I beg to differ.

temp-idle.jpg

graph-1.png

Air coolers perform as well if not better than their equivalently priced AIO competition. The high end Noctua coolers stomp on the H100i and match the performance of the H105. And they do this without all the noise of pumps and lousy fans.  :) As for looks, that's definitely opinionated. I think the Cryorig looks sexy as f*, granted you do lose sight of half your motherboard and ram.  Swappability is one of the pros of AIOs. I agree with you on that. Other than that, I can't think of any reason to go with AIOs. There is also always the potential for it to leak.. which can be really bad. If you can fit an air cooler in your rig, I would def. go for that over and AIO. If you are gonna water-cool your system, go custom loop or nothing. 

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

Do you sometimes mistake it for your chocolate milk drink? :P :lol:

Actually I dont like chocolate.

Ugly chrome finish? You definitely haven't seen the Cryorig R1 Ultimate/Universal and any of bequiet's coolers. No chrome for miles  :P

And better performance? I beg to differ.

Air coolers perform as well if not better than their equivalently priced AIO competition. The high end Noctua coolers stomp on the H100i and match the performance of the H105. And they do this without all the noise of pumps and lousy fans.  :) As for looks, that's definitely opinionated. I think the Cryorig looks sexy as f*, granted you do lose sight of half your motherboard and ram.  Swappability is one of the pros of AIOs. I agree with you on that. Other than that, I can't think of any reason to go with AIOs. There is also always the potential for it to leak.. which can be really bad. If you can fit an air cooler in your rig, I would def. go for that over and AIO. If you are gonna water-cool your system, go custom loop or nothing. 

Very few CPU air coolers have black anodized fins. Most, even noctua's, are chrome.

And If I spent $500+ on a motherboard, ram, and GPU I would prefer to not have a giant block of metal in my case. This would also block out the sight of the GPU backplate.

Also your performance comparisons are out of date. 280mm liquid coolers outperform even the best air coolers like the NH-D15. Also there are more and more 360mm AiOs coming to market.

Here you can see the x61 perform better than the D15:

5:05

And finally AiOs are much better for portability. There is a higher chance of your PSU exploding than your AiO leaking. A full custom loop is really bad for moving the PC around since the res will mix the fluid with the air. And heatsinks are extremely bad for moving your PC because they can actually rip part of your motherboard PCB out when the case gets bumped or dropped. This is why you ALWAYS remove CPU heatsinks when shipping a PC.

With variable speed pumps there is no issue at all with noise. You can even run your fans at a lower rpm because the fluid is moving heat away from the CPU much faster than copper heatpipes ever will.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What? It's beautiful.

Helen Keller would think so.. or this guy

vwbH9tz.jpg

too far?

Actually I dont like chocolate.

Ha, well then. That settles that doesn't it?

I would prefer an AiO on my GPU.

Noctua needs to start making AiOs.

Kraken G10 and some nice quiet AIO?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Very few CPU air coolers have black anodized fins. Most, even noctua's, are chrome.

And If I spent $500+ on a motherboard, ram, and GPU I would prefer to not have a giant block of metal in my case. This would also block out the sight of the GPU backplate.

Also your performance comparisons are out of date. 280mm liquid coolers outperform even the best air coolers like the NH-D15. Also there are more and more 360mm AiOs coming to market.

Here you can see the x61 perform better than the D15:

And finally AiOs are much better for portability. There is a higher chance of your PSU exploding than your AiO leaking. A full custom loop is really bad for moving the PC around since the res will mix the fluid with the air. And heatsinks are extremely bad for moving your PC because they can actually rip part of your motherboard PCB out when the case gets bumped or dropped. This is why you ALWAYS remove CPU heatsinks when shipping a PC.

With variable speed pumps there is no issue at all with noise. You can even run your fans at a lower rpm because the fluid is moving heat away from the CPU much faster than copper heatpipes ever will.

BeQuiet, Phanteks, and Cryorig all make coolers with painted fins (Phanteks even has like 5 colors of fins to choose from). As for the backplates on GPUs, mine don't have backplates, so this isn't a valid argument for me. It may be, for others so I agree with you on that. The variable pumps on the new NZXT Krakens seem to be more of a gimmick than anything - http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/07/10/nzxt_kraken_x61_aio_liquid_cpu_cooler_review/4#.VD89jlboYy4 - quote "We just saw no value in the variable speed pump feature."

@Faceman also seems to have the same views on the "Variable Speed" pump

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/211425-dual-kraken-x61-in-arc-midi-r2/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/197664-nzxt-x31-rattling-pump-other-nzxt-aio-pumps-make-noise/

Also, notice I said "Air coolers perform as well if not better than their equivalently priced AIO competition" I know there are H-220s and x61s that can slay air coolers, but they can cost two times as much (The Phanteks TC14pe and Dark Rock pro 3 cost $75 and $60 respectively and they are some of the best coolers around. The X61 you mentioned is $140. Plus they are some of the best air coolers around)

While AIOs leaking is very rare, there is still a possibility of it happening. As slim as the chance is, that still doesn't mean it can't happen. The H100 was an AIO that a lot of people had leak on them and while it may have gotten better since then, I still don't want water around my system (bad personal experiences, mostly) even if chance of leaking was 5%. 

The motherboard breaking seems kinda like the AIO leaking (rare). The backplate take a lot of the stress off. Unless you are carrying around your computer or throwing it around (as you mentioned) you're most likely going to be fine with a big air cooler. I think I've even heard Linus (or maybe it was someone on the forum) mention it was not a big worry. 

BeQuiet, Phanteks, and Cryorig all make coolers with painted fins (Phanteks even has like 5 colors of fins to choose from). As for the backplates on GPUs, mine don't have backplates, so this isn't a valid argument for me. It may be, for others so I agree with you on that. The variable pumps on the new NZXT Krakens seem to be more of a gimmick than anything - http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/07/10/nzxt_kraken_x61_aio_liquid_cpu_cooler_review/4#.VD89jlboYy4 - quote "We just saw no value in the variable speed pump feature."

@Faceman also seems to have the same views on the "Variable Speed" pump

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/211425-dual-kraken-x61-in-arc-midi-r2/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/197664-nzxt-x31-rattling-pump-other-nzxt-aio-pumps-make-noise/

Also, notice I said "Air coolers perform as well if not better than their equivalently priced AIO competition" I know there are H-220s and x61s that can slay air coolers, but they can cost two times as much (The Phanteks TC14pe and Dark Rock pro 3 cost $75 and $60 respectively and they are some of the best coolers around. The X61 you mentioned is $140. Plus they are some of the best air coolers around)

While AIOs leaking is very rare, there is still a possibility of it happening. As slim as the chance is, that still doesn't mean it can't happen. The H100 was an AIO that a lot of people had leak on them and while it may have gotten better since then, I still don't want water around my system (bad personal experiences, mostly) even if chance of leaking was 5%. 

The motherboard breaking seems kinda like the AIO leaking (rare). The backplate take a lot of the stress off. Unless you are carrying around your computer or throwing it around (as you mentioned) you're most likely going to be fine with a big air cooler. I think I've even heard Linus (or maybe it was someone on the forum) mention it was not a big worry. 

Doesn't the NH-D15 cost over $120?

And isn't it the best performing air cooler in existence?

So if Someone wanted to get better temperatures they would not be able to buy an air cooler for the job.

Also if the chances of leaking were 5% then there would be several hundred report of leaks, since thousands maybe millions of people have bought AiOs.

The chances of leaking are more like 0.000001%, but probably less than that.

Basically air cooler can only do so much. Past a certain point you can't do anything to an air cooler to make it perform better since you run into space limitations.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The NZXT Variable Speed Pump is a complete gimmick, and they got me with it hook, line, and sinker.  I am pissed because I spent an extra $20 for nothing. There is no way to control the speed of your pump which is what their marketing would have you believe.  You have to control it through your motherboard just like you would with any other.  The CAM software is a joke, I uninstalled it after the first day of use.  Not only that, but my NZXT AIO(X31) is a noisy mess.  The pump is noisy, rattly, and I am constantly hearing a rush of water.  I have tried a lot of things to try and get rid of this rush of water noise because that is the worst of the noise.  I did manage to fix the rattling noise with the pump after some effort.  My X31 performs well, but coming from such a highly regarded AIO company like NZXT, I was very disappointed.

If you live in the U.S.  The absolute best price to performance cooler available right now is the Cooler Master Seidon 240M for $60.  Performs incredibly well, absolutely no noise coming from the pump.  No extra fan software to conflict with anything else or extra wires.  This is a con for some, but I prefer to control all of my fans from my motherboard/Fan Xpert.  No mounting problems like with the similar spec H100i.  And did I mention It Performs Well?

65j6Flk.jpg

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Shit brown gpu?

0/10 would not buy even if 20 degrees cooler than reference.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Doesn't the NH-D15 cost over $120?

And isn't it the best performing air cooler in existence?

So if Someone wanted to get better temperatures they would not be able to buy an air cooler for the job.

Also if the chances of leaking were 5% then there would be several hundred report of leaks, since thousands maybe millions of people have bought AiOs.

The chances of leaking are more like 0.000001%, but probably less than that.

Basically air cooler can only do so much. Past a certain point you can't do anything to an air cooler to make it perform better since you run into space limitations.

.. No. The Nh-D15 is $100 on Newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608045&cm_re=nh-d15-_-35-608-045-_-Product .. still $40 cheaper than the X61. Is that $40 worth a ~4 degree temp difference and the noise? That is up to the buyer. 

Ok, so maybe 5% is too much. my bad :P  There are however, 3 pages of forum topics Google searches (who have multiple pages, no doubt) on the H100 leaking, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are at least a hundred people who claimed leaky h100s.

Also, I think at this point we are arguing the same point TBH..  

Yes AIOs are better performers, but air coolers come very close. If you want the absolute best performance, spend some more money and then get yourself the best AIOs money can afford -  thats definitely your go to if thats what you want. If you want a good performance while maintaining silent operation, then air coolers are a good options. 

Also, portability goes to AIOs and affordability to air coolers

.. No. The Nh-D15 is $100 on Newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608045&cm_re=nh-d15-_-35-608-045-_-Product .. still $40 cheaper than the X61. Is that $40 worth a ~4 degree temp difference and the noise? That is up to the buyer. 

Ok, so maybe 5% is too much. my bad :P  There are however, 3 pages of forum topics Google searches (who have multiple pages, no doubt) on the H100 leaking, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are at least a hundred people who claimed leaky h100s.

Also, I think at this point we are arguing the same point TBH..  

Yes AIOs are better performers, but air coolers come very close. If you want the absolute best performance, spend some more money and then get yourself the best AIOs money can afford -  thats definitely your go to if thats what you want. If you want a good performance while maintaining silent operation, then air coolers are a good options. 

Also, portability goes to AIOs and affordability to air coolers

Ok I agree.

But if noctua did make an AiO GPU cooler it would be far better than any GPU air cooler :)

Spoiler

Ok I agree.

But if noctua did make an AiO GPU cooler it would be far better than any GPU air cooler :)

.. maybe they could make an AiO..  ;) .. maybe

Shit brown gpu?

0/10 would not buy even if 20 degrees cooler than reference.

Nothing some dye or paint can't fix.

IMG_0410.jpg?t=1271039752

peOO7yx.jpg

To be honest a GPU cooler from Noctua would probably look a lot like one of their old CPU prototypes.

19b.jpg

haha thats cool Noctua should take a tip and make gpu heatsinks oh think of the possibilities.  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: 

Nothing some dye or paint can't fix.

Nice, I prefer my noctuas in white

post-1173-0-22817700-1413443072_thumb.jp

Why do you always die right after I fix you?