Intel Announces Thunderbolt 2 at Computex: 20Gbps Bi-Directional Bandwidth per Channel

TBT-pic_678x452.png

Intel is revealing some more information about their Falcon Ridge Thunderbolt controller (to be released in 2014) and they gave the new Thunderbolt spec a new name: Thunderbolt 2

So far the only thing we know is that it will sport a new 20Gbps bi-directional channel that can handle both data and/or display as opposed to the current 10Gbps per channel

Thunderbolt 2 will support DisplayPort 1.2 and 4K video. Intel expects the first Thunderbolt 2 controllers to go into production by the end of this year, and ramp into early 2014. Given the timeframe I no longer believe this is a Broadwell play. It also seems too early for the rumored 9-series chipset refresh. Thunderbolt 2 may end up appearing out of phase with both of those.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7026/intel-announces-thunderbolt-2-at-computex-20gbps-bidirectional-bandwidth-per-channel

Do you use Thunderbolt? If so, will this be of any benefit to you?

I think the ability to support 4K sounds nice, I'm curious what the frequency would be though, but 20GB should be enough to transfer 4K at 60Hz.

I think this is going to be very useful for external GPU. They need to put this in every laptop so we can have a powerful game/workstation at home. Most mid-high end mobile cpu powerful enough to do most stuff. All we need is better GPU in laptop. Good job intel XD.

Who is going to need 20gbps speed besides getting 4k video? I don't think there are hard drives that can transfer at 20gbps.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Who is going to need 20gbps speed besides getting 4k video? I don't think there are hard drives that can transfer at 20gbps.

Well I don't run Thunderbolt or even multiple external drives, but I think the intention with Thunderbolt is that you can have, for example, a number of external HDDs and then a monitor at the end of the line; all connected to a single port.

I've still to find a point in thunderbolt.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

and they gave the new Thunderbolt spec a new name: Thunderbolt 2

Those guys at Intel are pretty creative :lol:

My motherboard has a thunderbolt port, but I still have not found a use for it. If I get an external hard drive I would just use USB 3.0

And with all the room in my case, I don't think I will have to add an external storage anytime soon. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I'd rather have that USB3.0 update that was being talked about some time ago that was supposed to bring it to 10Gb/s.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.