MSI z97 Gaming 5 - Ram Questions

Go to solution Solved by Shaqo_Wyn,

Still don't feel safe damn it!    Does, this motherboard work, if I ONLY have 1 stick of ram in?

YES.

So I'm planning on getting a new MOBO sometime soon, and I've been considering the Z97 Gaming 5 by MSI, however I once heard of something to do with the RAM and I can't get my mind of it.

Basicly I've heard that you can't run a singe Dim of Ram, and that you have to run either 2 or 4. Is this true?

And I'm currently using Crucials Ballistix sport 1600 RAM, will it work with this mobo?

Thanks to any and all help!

-----------------------------------------------derp

yea it will be fine

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

So I'm planning on getting a new MOBO sometime soon, and I've been considering the Z97 Gaming 5 by MSI, however I once heard of something to do with the RAM and I can't get my mind of it.

Basicly I've heard that you can't run a singe Dim of Ram, and that you have to run either 2 or 4. Is this true?

And I'm currently using Crucials Ballistix sport 1600 RAM, will it work with this mobo?

A single stick will be perfectly fine, however with 2 or 4 sticks your RAM access speeds will be faster since you'll run in dual channel mode. This can help with some games like Battlefield, Crysis, and Watch Dogs

"Rawr XD"

You don't HAVE to run a single dimm. It's just the best way to configure ram since it's a dual channel motherboard.

You can run a single dimm, but it won't be in dual channel mode then.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

You don't HAVE to run a single dimm. It just the best way to configure ram since it's a dual channel motherboard.

You can run a single dimm, but it won't be in dual channel mode then.

So it means that with this motherboard I can run with only 1 stick?

If so thank god.

So it means that with this motherboard I can run with only 1 stick?

If so thank god.

Yup. Ideally you want to run two dimm's though. If you want 8GB's, you would then get a 4GB x 2 Kit. They will work better together and be a bit faster. 

You probably wouldn't ever notice the difference in memory bandwidth unless you do something that is very RAM-intensive (games generally are not). But yeah, while ideally you want matching DIMMs installed in alternating slots to enable dual-channel mode, single-channel mode should work fine.

Yup. Ideally you want to run two dimm's though. If you want 8GB's, you would then get a 4GB x 2 Kit. They will work better together and be a bit faster. 

Still don't feel safe damn it!    Does, this motherboard work, if I ONLY have 1 stick of ram in?

YES.

OKAY! THANK YOU!

YOU'RE WELCOME! ;)