Does the modem really matter?

Hi, I am looking to upgrade my modem and router, I am currently using the cheap supplied one from Comcast. I know very little about networking and I want to know if I need to pair a good/expensive modem with an good/expensive wireless router? I want to use the Linksys WRT1900AC wireless router, but I don't know if a $40 modem will hold back or restrict the wireless router in any way. If so, could you recommend a reputable model to pair with the Linksys WRT1900AC. Another side question is that I have been interested in the Surfboard SBG model wireless cable/modem units from Arris/Motorola. Does anyone have some experience with one of those units? Thanks!

Hi, I am looking to upgrade my modem and router, I am currently using the cheap supplied one from Comcast. I know very little about networking and I want to know if I need to pair a good/expensive modem with an good/expensive wireless router? I want to use the Linksys WRT1900AC wireless router, but I don't know if a $40 modem will hold back or restrict the wireless router in any way. If so, could you recommend a reputable model to pair with the Linksys WRT1900AC. Another side question is that I have been interested in the Surfboard SBG model wireless cable/modem units from Arris/Motorola. Does anyone have some experience with one of those units? Thanks!

Modems can and do make a difference, but expensive does not equate to quality.

I run a SB6121 (the Surfboard of which you speak - however there is a newer version 6141) on TWC.

I have no complaints with it other than the lack of editable configuration options.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Modems can and do make a difference, but expensive does not equate to quality.

Thanks.

You mean router not modem right?

Not sure what you are referring to. I want The Linksys WRT1900AC router and my question is, will a cheap modem affect the performance of the wireless router?

You mean router not modem right?

Indeed, he does mean Modem. If you read the post, he is saying he wants to get a WRT1900AC router, and pair it with a Comcast Modem (DOCSIS 2.0 or 3.0).

@Moonunit707 what is your Internet Connection speed rated at? That will determine if you need a DOCSIS 2.0 or 3.0 modem. 3.0 modems ARE backwards compatible though.

I have the Thomson/Technicolor DCS475 (It's a DOCSIS 3.0 modem), and it's fantastic. I have it paired with a Linksys E4200v1 Wireless N router, and I have no issues at all. My speed is 150/15 Mbps.

I can also second @Semper's comment about the SB6121 or 6141. Both are extremely well reputed modems.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Indeed, he does mean Modem. If you read the post, he is saying he wants to get a WRT1900AC router, and pair it with a Comcast Modem (DOCSIS 2.0 or 3.0).

@Moonunit707 what is your Internet Connection speed rated at? That will determine if you need a DOCSIS 2.0 or 3.0 modem. 3.0 modems ARE backwards compatible though.

I have the Thomson/Technicolor DCS475 (It's a DOCSIS 3.0 modem), and it's fantastic. I have it paired with a Linksys E4200v1 Wireless N router, and I have no issues at all. My speed is 150/15 Mbps.

I can also second @Semper's comment about the SB6121 or 6141. Both are extremely well reputed modems.

Thanks for the info! I believe I need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, my "advertised" speed is 50Mbps from Comcast. It's what they call their Blast internet in my area.

What I think I will do is pair the WRT1900AC with the Arris/Motorola SBG6121. Hopefully this is a good combination for around $300.

Thanks for the info! I believe I need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, my "advertised" speed is 50Mbps from Comcast. It's what they call their Blast internet in my area.

What I think I will do is pair the WRT1900AC with the Arris/Motorola SBG6121. Hopefully this is a good combination for around $300.

Yes a 50 Mbps connection would indeed be DOCSIS 3.0. The combination you chose will be more than adequate. Personlly, I'd go with an ASUS RT-AC66U/68U over the WRT1900AC, but that would be down to personal preference only. I happen to prefer the ASUS GUI, and both are very well reviewed.

If you're set on the WRT1900AC and like the Linksys GUI, then you should have an excellent experience. The modem you're looking at is an extremely well regarded model.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Unless you're early in the line for your local node, I'd HIGHLY advise you not expect to approach your rated bandwidth with Comcast. You could invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in your own equipment and not see close to your rated bandwidth.

This is not to say you won't see an improvement, but more to say, that it may not be to your satisfaction.

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Unless you're early in the line for your local node, I'd HIGHLY advise you not expect to approach your rated bandwidth with Comcast. You could invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in your own equipment and not see close to your rated bandwidth.

This is not to say you won't see an improvement, but more to say, that it may not be to your satisfaction.

If you were to spend a ridiculous amount of money, you wouldn't be throwing it behind a residential grade connection.

If you were to spend a ridiculous amount of money, you wouldn't be throwing it behind a residential grade connection.

It was a metaphorical statement...

:huh:

It was a metaphorical statement...

:huh:

*cough* yeah that's not a metaphor lol

From Meriam-Webster dictionary

a figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them (as in drowning in money)

You're not using an unrelated thing to compare likeness to a different thing. You're using two things of the same type. That's closer to a simile, but even then I'd say that doesn't quite count. You're just making a regular comparison sentence.

Not sure if you know what a metaphor is...

+1

Not sure if you know what a metaphor is...

*cough* yeah that's not a metaphor lol

From Meriam-Webster dictionary

You're not using an unrelated thing to compare likeness to a different thing. You're using two things of the same type. That's closer to a simile, but even then I'd say that doesn't quite count. You're just making a regular comparison sentence.

+1

Semantics... really  :mellow:. OK, fine, a figure of speech, hypothetical, unrealistic, drastic, excessive whatever the hell floats your boat. The simple fact, and my point is that it may not make a significant improvement, $5, $300, $650,000. any responsible homeowner is not going to be investing in a hundred thousand dollar+ network for home use. I didn't know I had to be so literal with you lot, I guess I just assumed that people had cognitive complexity.

Semantics... really  :mellow:. OK, fine, a figure of speech, hypothetical, unrealistic, drastic, excessive whatever the hell floats your boat. The simple fact, and my point is that it may not make a significant improvement, $5, $300, $650,000. any responsible homeowner is not going to be investing in a hundred thousand dollar+ network for home use. I didn't know I had to be so literal with you lot, I guess I just assumed that people had cognitive complexity.

Granted, but I don't think the OP is expecting "significant" improvement in speeds. Getting a good reliable modem can affect far more than the speeds. The reliability of the connection is the biggest factor of a good modem. Granted, I've never used ComCast, and since they are a national US company, you can expect wildly different results depending on where you live. I bet tons of areas have totally fine connections - regardless of where you are in conjunction with the node - whereas lots of other people will have really bad/shitty connections.

But the fact of the matter is YES the modem does matter. If you buy a cheap, piece of shit modem, your connection will reflect that. You'll have drops, outages, speed variance, and a general pain in the ass. Buying a good modem doesn't magically increase your speed beyond what the lines can handle, but it will remove a lot of potential issues from cropping up. And at ~$100 for a good Modem, you aren't exactly breaking the bank. That $100 modem will last for years.

• 5 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone for your input. I finally purchased the WRT1900AC router. I couldn't pass up a deal today. I was able to purchase the router for US$120.98 including tax. Next I plan on grabbing the motorola surfboard 6121. I should have a nice setup that will last me a good long while.