FX 6300 VS Pentium G3258

I wanted to build a budget pc, and after getting many build showings, I decided to see, which I can get more bang for the buck. I know that AMD is notorious for being cheap, and relatively good overall. However I have been seeing that the Pentium anniversary G3258 is pretty good as well, wil a little less price point, allowing me to get a better cooler. So if I take them both, and overclock them BOTH. Lets say a reasonable 4 ghz. Which one will perform better, for purely playing a video game. (7 days to die being a main one)

fx 6300 - sapphire dual x r9 270x - Zalman z9 - Evga 500B - Cooler master hyper TX3 - Win. 8.1 - Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2.0 - Crucial ballstix sport 8gb (2x4) - WD blue 1TB - some random optical drive for 11$

Pentium G3258

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

pentium, gives you the chance to upgrade to an i3 or i5 when broadwell releases (make sure to get a h97 mobo though)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Pentium g3258; because you can upgrade to much better CPU; while you can't upgrade much further with FX-6300.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Which games?

. (7 days to die being a main one)

fx 6300 - sapphire dual x r9 270x - Zalman z9 - Evga 500B - Cooler master hyper TX3 - Win. 8.1 - Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2.0 - Crucial ballstix sport 8gb (2x4) - WD blue 1TB - some random optical drive for 11$

Pentium if you get a £100 motherboard so you can overclock the crap out of it. If you're going for a sub £50 motherboard for true budgetness, FX 6300.

The Pentium itself is great value. The costs involve in actually overclocking it though maybe aren't so much.

Penium I would say.

FX-6300 isnt even a true 6 core, more like 3 (kinda, not really)

The pentium has better OC capability, lower TDP, lower price, and better speed/clock performance

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The G3258 is good if you're just going to play games and not multitask much with streaming and such which is pretty crippling with only 2 cores. The 6300 wouldn't perform as well for some games that are heavily dependent on fast individual cores like WoW but doesn't have any glaring issues like situations where performance takes a huge hit. 

This is if you push the G3258 farther though. You should really be pushing for 4.2ghz+ even with the stock cooler. 

FX-6300 isnt even a true 6 core, more like 3 (kinda, not really)

It has 6 cores. AMD defines them as so. Intel doesn't get to dictate what a true core is. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The G3258 is good if you're just going to play games and not multitask much with streaming and such which is pretty crippling with only 2 cores. The 6300 wouldn't perform as well for some games that are heavily dependent on fast individual cores like WoW but doesn't have any glaring issues like situations where performance takes a huge hit. 

This is if you push the G3258 farther though. You should really be pushing for 4.2ghz+ even with the stock cooler. 

It has 6 cores. AMD defines them as so. Intel doesn't get to dictate what a true core is. 

Yeah, i guess, but Windows defines it as 3 cores as well.

They are not the same as "True intel cores," So 6 core intel beats 6 core AMD, but it kinda depends for 6 core AMD vs 2 core intel

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

It's an old game so it's singlethreaded, it's CPU bound, a G3528 then. You can always upgrade to a 4690k later, on AMD's side upgrading a 6300 isn't interesting as none of them bring any actual gaming performance. However a 4690k is a massive upgrade to a 6300/G3258.

G3258, I got mine OC at 4.5ghz with Noctua nh-d14 :)

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @4.2ghz MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero-RAM:HyperX Fury 8gb PSU: Corsair CX750M-GPU: MSI 390x 8g HDD:WD Green 1TB KEYBOARD: Rosewill RGB8-MOUSE: Corsair Gaming RGB M65

Get a i3 4150 if you don't plan to upgrade for a while as it will run games that demand more cores better (Watch Dogs, Crysis 3). If your gonna upgrade soon then get the G3258. Get a H97 motherboard.

now i feel silly reading the comments... i bought a fx-6300 with an asrock 970, 2 months ago. still feel like a major upgrade from my old athlon X2 250...

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

What motherboard did you use?

Noctua costs about the same as the cpu does xD

At least you can upgrade to 4790k laterz

Id say 6300 all the way. Yes with games that use 2 cores intel is better but games use 4 cores now and 2 more cores will help in future.

Fx6300 is more like i3 that you can overclock

Keep in mind I do plan on upgrading if I get the pentium. I think I will go with it, as it allows me to get a better aftermarket cooler, and maybe I could squeeze out a water cooler out of the extra money. So a G3258, Z97 Mobo, and a good aftermarket cooler it is. Thanks everyone!

Keep in mind I do plan on upgrading if I get the pentium. I think I will go with it, as it allows me to get a better aftermarket cooler, and maybe I could squeeze out a water cooler out of the extra money. So a G3258, Z97 Mobo, and a good aftermarket cooler it is. Thanks everyone!

Hold on.  Don't buy an aftermarket cooler for the Pentium.  The Pentium overclocks just fine on the stock cooler.  It is only a 2 core chip, so the heat output is not drastic.  1.3v+ is perfectly fine to use with the stock cooler, and temps should still be in the 60-70s.

Use that money from an aftermarket cooler towards an i5. 

When you do finally decide to get an after market cooler once you have already purchased an i5/i7, look into the Cooler Master Seidon 240M on Newegg.com.

Going Pentium + aftermarket cooler before i5 is kind of backwards.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."