RGB Modded SNES

zeroordie881

Figured you guys might appreciate this. For newer games I much prefer PC gaming, but I grew up playing the SNES and I have a ton of nostalgia for it. For a few reasons I wasn't able to keep my SNES or games from when I was younger. About a year and a half ago I started watching speed runs of Super Metroid and it made me want to start playing that game again since it was and still is one of my all time favorite games. I tried a ton of different emulators and none of them felt right, they all felt laggy and numb. Bought a SNES and it played amazing but looked like crap so I decided to do some research to see what could be done. Through some reading I found that an RGB modded SNES Mini hooked up via SCART(had to get a SCART to HDMI converter so I could actually use it) yielded the best video output, so thats what I did.

On to the pictures!

Got the RGB amplifier off of ebay for something like $6 shipped. Soldered it onto the SNES following the tutorial on retrorgb's site.

2dZnz4B.jpg

UBqzvFz.jpg

While I had it apart I wired up an LED as well since the SNES Mini's don't have them by default.

Decided to paint my SNES white to see how well it looked. Was pretty happy with the results.

glEJr1n.jpg

Mine, once it was complete! I own a few games now, but buying the carts themselves gets really expensive. Decided to try a flash cart, which works well and keeps the wear and tear off of my actual carts.

intpgVM.jpg

A friend of mine really liked how mine turned out and asked me to put one together for him as well. Decided to go a different route with the paint. I thought about sanding the texture down so it would be more of a mirror finish, ended up deciding against it in the end though. 

5IdRhSj.jpg?1

Yh2t7ca.jpg

Final thoughts, if you're playing a game thats really twitchy or sensitive to input lag, you'll want to get one of the fancy expensive upscalers. I've tried an XRGB2+ and a Framemeister. Both work amazingly well, and have very very minimal input lag. I've also tried a $50 SCART to HDMI converter and if you tweak the settings it works decent, though it still induces a lot more input lag than either of the expensive ones I've tried. Also, the $50 one didn't give scan lines, which is a surprisingly nice touch when playing on a 50" TV.

That's pretty cool. I too have an snes console and a pile carts. I used scart adapter on the snes as well.

I felt the snes in didn't look great over rgb because of the video connection being too good. you may have noticed the checkerboard effect. But, nonetheless the colors are really great.

As far as snes games, super metroid is a true masterpiece. I'm unsure if I'll ever beat that game. I also enjoyed the donkey Kong games and super Mario yoshi's island was a great experience. There are so many great games for that console, so If I were to only have the hardware version of one old console, it would be an snes.

Anyway, those consoles look good with the paint and rgb setup. Congrats on your hobby :)

Well obviously I'm going to like this. Good work. I'd do it myself with my old SNES but I'm way to scared to take a soldering iron to my childhood memories. Plus I still have an old CRT that I hook it up to which works well enough.

Anyways, now that you have it you really need to play Unirally and The Lost Vikings. The origins of Rockstar and Blizzard and also fantastic little games on the SNES. Also Stunt Race FX which at the time was kinda a technical masterpiece even if it hasn't aged very well. Still a must play. Although I agree that Super Metroid is probably the best game on the system. I didn't have it as a kid but I did get it on the Wii U VC about a year ago, haven't beaten it yet but damn is it awesome. Even without the nostalgia goggles I still think that opening sequence is arguably the best I've seen in any game. It's just perfection.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I've beat Super Metroid way too many times to count. I really wish I could erase my memories of that game and play through it for the first time again. Not very many games have given me that sense of exploration before.

I'll give Unirally and The Lost Vikings a shot, I haven't played either of those. I own Stunt Race FX, lots of childhood memories with that game!