New build - HDMI audio not working to monitor

Hi,

I'm using Windows 8.1 current specs are

Asus z97 pro wifi mobo 
i54690k
asus mx279h monitor

I can't seem to get the speakers in the monitor to work over HDMI. If I use VGA as well as a 3.5mm audio jack from mobo to monitor I can get sound but I really want to figure out why HDMI won't work. I've got video over HDMI but no audio.

Using the mobo HDMI output at the moment still waiting for my gpu to arrive.

I've installed the latest drivers with Realtek HD audio manager and done as much basic trouble shooting as I can. Most threads seem to be for people who have issues with TVs and not checking their audio output. 

When I go into Device Manager my High Definition Audio Device issues an error code 10 stating the device cannot start. But the Realtek High Definition Audio device is functioning properly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Try going into your windows sound settings and selecting HDMI as the priority.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It doesn't appear as an option

Do you have the Intel, AMD or Nvidia drivers installed? And are you using any adapters? Dedicated Graphics card?

Have you installed the most resent drivers?

He said it was mobo HDMI. Try installing the latest drivers. Also check in the device manager if all devices are correctly installed

Especially if you are using your MOBO-s HDMI, the "problem" could be in your BIOS setup. Try entering the BIOS and search for something like "Audio outputs" or something like that, as I'm not exactly sure what it says. Anyways, there should be some options for audio/sound side of things. Something like which inputs the PC should get audio from "HDMI + Front", "Front + AUX", "HDMI + Front + AUX", I'm not 100% sure what it says, so yeah. Just try going into BIOS and checking those things out.

I did end up finding a setting in the BIOS where I had to change it from AC97 to HDMI this changed the icon in my playback devices to a monitor and I thought I was onto a winner but unfortunately the problem persists. Still no audio but I think i'm slowly making progress. Hopefully when my graphics card arrives this will all go away thanks for the suggestions.  

I had the same issue, but I solved it by installing Intel Graphics. Just the audio drivers alone won't do. Visit this webpage, choose your OS, click on VGA, and I guess you know what to do from there.

Thou shall not abuse thy monkey, thou shall not misuse thy monkey.