What is the difference between Hertz and FPS.

mads243

I have kind of mixed these two together and even thought they were the same thing, can someone explain the difference?

HZ is how many times your screen refreshes in a second.

FPS is how many frames per second your GPU can push out.

---

For perfectly smooth FPS you want to match your FPS up with the Maximum Hz rate of the monitor (60Hz is still the most common so 60FPS would look great) Anything over 60fps is just wasted as the screen cannot display them.

Anything under 60FPS and your screen will have to display the same frame twice (or more) times and thats when you will start to notice juddering or lagging.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Hz is the amount of cycles per second. It can apply to many things. FPS is the amount of frames per second. It only applies to displays and video

ok say for example you have a 60hertz monitor and you get say 120fps in a game the monitor will only show 60fps but if you have a 120hertz monitor it will show all the fps

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

hz is the amount of cycles of new images the monitor goes through fps is how many your computer outputs

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Hz is the amount of times per second your monitor refreshes. FPS is how many frames your GPU can render and send out to your monitor in a second.

Techquicke actually has a great video on this but if you only want to read some text basically fps is how many frames the game is outputting per second so for example if your game is running at 60 FPS then the game is outputting 60 frames per second. Hertz are how many times the monitor is refreshing so if you have a 60 hertz monitor that means 60 fps will work good but anything over that is not going to benefit you but if you have a 120 hertz monitor then the monitor will refresh 120 times a second so that's where 120 fps will benefit you.

FPS is how many frames per second the graphics card generates and sends to the monitor.  Frequency (Hz) is a generic unit, but in this case it measures how frequently the monitor updates the image on the screen.  A 60Hz monitor will update the image 60 times per second, so at maximum it can only show 60 individual frames that the graphics cards sends to it per second, any extra frames from the graphics card will be thrown out.  FPS varies depending on how complex the scene is at a given moment, but the monitor refresh frequency is a constant value (unless you have a display capable of G-Sync).

G-Sync Monitor and G-Sync GFX and you will never have to think about it again..

G-Sync sync HZ with frames 

Wow, thanks for the all the answers guys, that really helped.