Do I need a high end sound card?

Recon97

You have my consent to sink my ship.

Hey, you've already left the ship safely, so... Anyways, doesn't look like anybody else wants to comment further.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Hey, you've already left the ship safely, so... Anyways, doesn't look like anybody else wants to comment further.

I like headphones.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

Anyways, still my point stands: I think it's unlikely that the Game Zero would exhibit lack of bass with no other symptoms. People keep thinking power = bass, and it's coincidental that it also happens to be what Jay claims is missing when it's not powered well enough. He should have done a basic blind or even a sighted tested with an a/b switch. He comments here saying that DB drags destroyed his low frequency sensitivity (assuming he's partially deaf), but in another video he mentions that he's hyper-sensitive to bass and gets a headache. Which is it? I don't think he cares.

So, I don't think Jay's video counts as evidence. The original response was that it doesn't take a headphone expert to understand what something sounds shitty. But this is a type of mistake I see inexperienced audio reviewers making (apart from placebofiles): Saying that lack of power = less bass but nothing on clipping. He let his preconceived notions of what powering a headphone means to color what he heard, and his inexperience allowed it to continue.

There's a chance I'm wrong, but I think more likely than not I am right.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

My questions:

My current setup is a Z77X-UD5H motherboard with onboard audio connected via optical to a Logitech Z5500 and I used to connect my HD205 directly to the logitech unit. I have in the mail my new HD558's and I'm guessing that onboard audio will not be up to the task for providing a good enough signal so that I can get the best out of the 558's? Can the 5500 even power the 558?

Is there a sound card ( by Asus? ) that has a headphone amp and a connector that I can still connect my 5500 to?

Thank you for your anwsers.

My questions:

My current setup is a Z77X-UD5H motherboard with onboard audio connected via optical to a Logitech Z5500 and I used to connect my HD205 directly to the logitech unit. I have in the mail my new HD558's and I'm guessing that onboard audio will not be up to the task for providing a good enough signal so that I can get the best out of the 558's? Can the 5500 even power the 558?

Is there a sound card ( by Asus? ) that has a headphone amp and a connector that I can still connect my 5500 to?

Thank you for your anwsers.

You have the 558 in the mail, meaning you've bought it, and it's currently on the way to you?

Then just wait until you get them and try it out with whatever you already have. That's the best option, no need to over-think anything else. If after trying it, there are problems (like volume don't go as desired loudness, clippings, distortions, etc), then start looking for a separate amp. It won't be too late then, wouldn't it? 

Yes, the 558 are bought and should arive in a week or so.

I just want to make sure that I get the most out of the headphones. Like for example I'm gona take my pc on a LAN party next month and can the onboard audio drive the headphones if I plugged them in directly? I want to have it fully working :)