17000 Mac botnet discovered

Response to my other point why are you running away?

What other point? I've quoted nearly every post you've made so far. I'm not running away...

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

What other point? I've quoted nearly every post you've made so far. I'm not running away...

You said you weren't wrong I responded with two point and you only responded to the second point here is the first point:

1.You said they didn't claim they don't get viruses which they do.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

You said you weren't wrong I responded with two point and you only responded to the second point here is the first point:

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Bull shit.

Well you got the thread right there. You can just cite me saying that Gatekeeper makes OS X locked down if you want.

That will be pretty hard though, since what I said was:

I am not trying to argue against it. I think it's a very good thing. What I am saying is that it took a huge issue to arise before Apple bothered to implement it, and when they did they use a very heavy handed implementation. Maybe I have misinterpreted the default settings, I have always thought that it will block anything that's not from the app store or signed by an approved developer, and then you can launch it in some special way to bypass the default security measurements. I think that's heavy handed compared to for example in Windows where it's just "this program does not have a recognized signature, do you want to launch anyway?" (or something along those lines). So those are my 2 issues with how Apple handled it.

You don't like Gatekeeper for some reason even though it's basically equivalent to UAC and I can't imagine why you'd say that's a bad solution unless you think it's more secure for the end user to be able to install whatever the hell they want without even being asked if they're sure.

I never said it was a bad solution. Again, check the quote above you. I said it was good.

Stop strawmanning.

That DOES have to do with the 'Macs don't get viruses' myth that Apple and their fans are perpetuating.

There doesn't exist a virus for a Mac yet. It would be pretty hard to almost impossible to creatd a virus for a Mac or therefore any UNIX.

_____

I can write you a programm that communicates with a server, that shuts down your computer or even deletes files, BUT you still have to install it youself and give it the permissions to do so.

Nothing else happend here.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

There doesn't exist a virus for a Mac yet. It would be pretty hard to almost impossible to creatd a virus for a Mac or therefore any UNIX.

_____

I can write you a programm that communicates with a server, that shuts down your computer or even deletes files, BUT you still have to install it youself and give it the permissions to do so.

Really really.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

And I urge you to find an instance in which they do.

I never said it was a bad solution. Again, check the quote above you. I said it was good.

Stop strawmanning.

I'm not strawmanning. Whether or not you later admitted it was good you clearly said you thought it was a bad solution in the quote I used.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Secure they said, can't get infected they said....

More secure then windows. But nothing is absolutely secure.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

It's really sad when people think there is such a thing as infallibility. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

you still have to install it youself and give it the permissions to do so. Nothing else happend here.

And you think any meaningful number of malware for Windows spreads without user stupidity? All of it comes embedded in shady gratis/pirated software.

_____

I don't know of any viruses off the top of my head, but I know of plenty of malicious software which have installed themselves on OS X.

For example some variants of the flashback malware was downloaded and executed as soon as a user simply visited an infected site. No user interaction (other than simply visiting a website) was needed.

Source 1

Source 2

And I urge you to find an instance in which they do.

I'm not strawmanning. Whether or not you later admitted it was good you clearly said you thought it was a bad solution in the quote I used.

Here you go http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/295168-the-ten-most-dangerous-mac-viruses

and you stated that it does have viruses.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I don't know of any viruses off the top of my head, but I know of plenty of malicious software which have installed themselves on OS X.

For example some variants of the flashback malware was downloaded and executed as soon as a user simply visited an infected site. No user interaction (other than simply visiting a website) was needed.

Source 1

Source 2

He clearly said that it has viruses.

Yeah, and they historically haven't gotten viruses in the same way Windows PCs do. Same with Linux. They're not claiming their platform is infallible, they're saying the average user doesn't need to worry about viruses on OS X, which is completely true.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

All of which are trojans that would now be blocked by Gatekeeper...

Nearly all of those require you to specifically allow access to an unsigned app, which I've said before is a bad idea on ANY platform. When you type in your admin password you should be completely confident in what the program does, having preferably verified it with a SHA-1 or similar checksum. If not possible, verify that the app you're opening is coming from a legitimate source by checking WOT. This should be standard practice for everyone when downloading unsigned products. Seriously. I have no sympathy for you if you install unsigned shit without doing your research first.

Flashback is the closest thing OS X has had to the kind of shit Windows users have to deal with, and unsurprisingly it used a Java vulnerability. I try to avoid installing Java on any of my machines because it's a piece of shit. When I do I tend to put it in a Linux VM with a browser to isolate my host from it.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Here you go http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/295168-the-ten-most-dangerous-mac-viruses

and you stated that it does have viruses.

To be fair, most of those are Trojan horses. A true virus is able to inject itself into legitimate files and I don't think any of the malware on that list were able to do that.

And you think any meaningful number of malware for Windows spreads without user stupidity? All of it comes embedded in shady gratis/pirated software.

omg ... yes ... that definitely was the case with windows (some years ago).

It is a whole different story now.

You most likely won't find a 'classic' virus for OS X, because (at least to my knowledge) there never existed one.

All of which are trojans that would now be blocked by Gatekeeper...

Nearly all of those require you to specifically allow access to an unsigned app, which I've said before is a bad idea on ANY platform. When you type in your admin password you should be completely confident in what the program does, having preferably verified it with a SHA-1 or similar checksum. If not possible, verify that the app you're opening is coming from a legitimate source by checking WOT. This should be standard practice for everyone when downloading unsigned products. Seriously. I have no sympathy for you if you install unsigned shit without doing your research first.

Flashback is the closest thing OS X has had to the kind of shit Windows users have to deal with, and unsurprisingly it used a Java vulnerability. I try to avoid installing Java on any of my machines because it's a piece of shit. When I do I tend to put it in a Linux VM with a browser to isolate my host from it.

To be fair, most of those are Trojan horses. A true virus is able to inject itself into legitimate files and I don't think any of the malware on that list were able to do that.

Fair enough, then what about these two sources that I took from @LAwLz post

Source 1

Source 2

aren't these viruses?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Fair enough, then what about these two sources that I took from @LAwLz post

Source 1

Source 2

aren't these viruses?

No, they aren't. The sources even say they aren't. They're Java exploits that install malware. That's what they are.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You most likely won't find a 'classic' virus for OS X, because (at least to my knowledge) there never existed one.

I don't get what does 'classic' means?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

No, they aren't. The sources even say they aren't. They're Java exploits that install malware. That's what they are.

Then what about this http://mac-antivirus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/history-of-macintosh-viruses.html

Edit:there are some Trojans in there.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I don't get what does 'classic' means?

anything that actually can be called computer virus and not some sort of scareware that comes injected in some illegaly downloaded software.

But viruses are malware.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Then what about this http://mac-antivirus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/history-of-macintosh-viruses.html

there are some malwares in there.

your google skills are superb.

still no real virus or anything that really harms the user, especially when focussing on anything for OS X.

That list is also really pathetic for almost 15 years of OS X, or isn't it?

There is probably more scareware, trojan horses or other malicious software generated every single day for Windows.

Secure they said, can't get infected they said....

10 year old Linux kernel and someone downloaded something they shouldn't have. It happens in any large system. Linux is no more secure than OSX.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd