2 x 2gb gtx670 or gtx780

CyberJesus88

so im in a bit of a prediciment, i have one gtx670 (2GB) and im debating weather it would be a better choice to sell my gtx670 and get another gtx670 or to completely upgrade to gtx780.

note that im currently running a single 120hz 1080p screen but will possibly be interested in 1440p monitor in the future or even 4k. and that i will be water cooling them

also that in the long run the 780 will probably be the slightly more expensive option.

so what do you guys think....gtx780, 2 x 670 or even 3 x 670??

Go with the single gtx 780, it will have around the same performance as 670 sli and consume less power and will emit less heat.

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

triple sli is useless, it just looks cool , but you can just spend your money better on a better 2 way sli or one single super high end card. The most downpoint is, that you could have issues with sli wich is mentioned a lot of times in the graphic card section, so i'm not going to go in detail about that. the gtx 780 will consume less like Samskip said, and the overclocking options when you watercool that beast are pretty much sky is the limit style, , you can allways when you still don't feel like it's performing enough put another 780 in it if you could afford it. but i think most people will agree, the 780 is the better way

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

Go with the single gtx 780, it will have around the same performance as 670 sli and consume less power and will emit less heat.

SLI 670's destroy a 780.

To OP, if you are sticking with 1080p get another 670. If you are going to 1440p get the 780 and SLI is later when prices drop.

The gtx 670 in sli has more performance than a single gtx 780 but it you could face problems such as microstuttering. I would highly recommend to wait for the  gtx 800 series.

I would go with a 780, dual or triple GPU's aren't all they're cracked up to be.  There's bugs here and there and some games don't even support SLI.  Just keep it simple and get the 780.

If you decide to keep the 120 Hz screen i think the SLI option would make more sense, and you'll get better performance than 780 in most cases. Then again with all this talk about framtimes one could be scared away from SLI untill things settle and it is "fixed". Though i've heard that SLI have got way less issues with framtimes than Crossfire. Personally i have no experience with either.

If you go with the 1440p screen, i do consider 780 the surperior option. The memory upgrade is just incredible and the 780 can back that up with awesome performance and you get all the good stuff from having only a single card.

Either way i think you'll be more than satisfied with both setups. :)

I would go with a 780, dual or triple GPU's aren't all they're cracked up to be.  There's bugs here and there and some games don't even support SLI.  Just keep it simple and get the 780.

Could not have said it better myself. Good Post!

If you game @ 1080p there is no point to SLI.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8ghz  |  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |  Video Card:  Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition 6GB  |  Ram: 32Gb Corsair 2400Mhz  |  SSD: Samsung 840 120GB X2 Raid 0  |  Storage: WD Black 2TB X2 Raid 0  |  Power Supply: Corsair AX1200   Case: Corsair 800D  |  Monitors: 3X 2560X1440 LED  |  OS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit  |  Keyboard: Logitech G19  |  Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO  |  GamerTag: ZombieS1ayerKing  |  Quote: “Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.”

Could not have said it better myself. Good Post!

If you game @ 1080p there is no point to SLI.

There is when you have a 120hz monitor like the OP.

There is when you have a 120hz monitor like the OP.

I guess it depends on the game but you are right about that.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.8ghz  |  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |  Video Card:  Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition 6GB  |  Ram: 32Gb Corsair 2400Mhz  |  SSD: Samsung 840 120GB X2 Raid 0  |  Storage: WD Black 2TB X2 Raid 0  |  Power Supply: Corsair AX1200   Case: Corsair 800D  |  Monitors: 3X 2560X1440 LED  |  OS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit  |  Keyboard: Logitech G19  |  Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO  |  GamerTag: ZombieS1ayerKing  |  Quote: “Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.”

Since you said that you could upgrade to 4k resolution i would consider getting a GPU with more VRAM than 2 gb.

I have a GTX 660 superclocked and want to get another GTX 660 superclocked but i was debating between 2x GTX 660 or a GTX 770?

Considering you're playing on a 1080, I say stick with the single 670. Wait until you actually upgrade monitors before you upgrade your graphics card.

Single card is always better than multi GPU, don't go for SLI unless you have to.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

You're going to limited by the 2GB.

I would go for a GTX 780 and if you want more power down the road, get a second one.