My free norton is about to end any good free anti-virus software?

tmh2duggy

I remember Linus talking about the anti-virus he uses but, I cant remember what it was. So what anti=virus do you guys use that is easy to use and seems like a legit thing?

Malwarebytes, windows defender. All you need there, norton is horrible.  You probably has viruses on your computer right now it didn't find. Avast is good too, but I stopped using it because of way too many false positives and it was way too difficult to ignore them. It didn't work half the time no matter what I set to exclude. 

Download web of trust as well, tells you if a link is good or bad before you click it. Then it warns you if the website could be malicious.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Malwarebytes for me 

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

Brain + MB = Perfection, MB is for when your brain farts or someone uses your computer.

If you regularly have other people using your PC then Avast! + MB is a good combo. Avast for real-time scan and MB for more occasional scans.

MB is MalwareBytes in case you didn't know.

i'm a potato

I remember Linus talking about the anti-virus he uses but, I cant remember what it was. So what anti=virus do you guys use that is easy to use and seems like a legit thing?

Get rid of norton, and install avast.

To me, norton seems like somewhat of a virus in itself, making itself difficult to remove at times, slowing your computer, being a waste of space, etc...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Avast + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

a brain, dont download dodgy things, and your pretty much set.

Malwarebytes is one of the best. And a brain is also a good combo

Nortons 'in the past' was very very resource hungry because it would scan not just written files, but files being read from the drive, hence all the slowness/disk being accessed upon ANY file reads/writes made the machine slow as a pig.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I think AVG free is a good one since I used to use it on my old pc (about a year ago) and they packed a lot of useful stuff into a free anti-virus; but it's better if you have the money to buy a licensed anti-virus since it will protect you better

As said before, responsible browsing just about eliminates the need for an AV. 

That being said, MSE is good, free, doesn't use a lot of resources and doesn't have those annoying ads and pop-ups urging you to buy a full version.