Pluto is now a planet,again!

Nineshadow

Scientists got together last week in the US to battle it out over what actually makes a planet, and where poor old Pluto fits into everything. Thanks to a popular vote, the argument for Pluto being a planet came out on top.

pluto.jpg

Last week at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, three experts - two for Pluto being a planet and one against - debated the issue in front of an audience of scientists, teachers and the public. 

The debate recalls a decision made in 2006 by the International Astronomical Union (IAU), who felt it necessary to redefine what constitutes a 'planet'. The highest profile casualty ended up being Pluto, demoted because it was just too small to compete with its eight larger and more impressive peers in our Solar System. The redefinition was based on the fact that many worlds similar to Pluto had been discovered floating on the fringe of their respective solar systems - some even bigger than Pluto - and they didn’t enjoy the status of 'planet', so why should Pluto?

The IAU decided to classify Pluto and other small, fringe-dwelling bodies as 'dwarf planets', and the new category was soon filled by the likes of Ceres, located in the asteroid belt in between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter; and Eris, Haumea, and Makemake, all located in the Kuiper Belt, just past Neptune’s orbit. 

Which sounds fine, because Pluto was still technically a planet, just a little one, right? Wrong. And that’s where the controversy surrounding the IAU decision comes from, as Nadia Drake explains at National Geographic:

"In the same confusing way that king cobras are not actually cobras, dwarf planets are not, in fact, planets. They meet two of the three IAU criteria for a planet: They're round, and they orbit the sun. But unlike every world from Mercury through Neptune, the dwarfs haven't grown massive enough to dominate their orbits and clear those paths of other solar system debris, by either knocking it away or reeling it in with their gravity.

"Jupiter has cleared its neighborhood. Earth has cleared its neighborhood. Ceres, which is in the main asteroid belt, hasn't. Pluto hasn't," said Gareth Williams, associate director of the IAU's Minor Planet Center, who presented the IAU definition at the Harvard debate. "In my world, Pluto is not a planet.””

Also adding to the highly complex nature of the debate is the fact that the definition of a planet has been through several changes over the millennia that humans have been aware of the existence of other planets in our Solar System. "'Planet' is a culturally defined word that has changed its meaning over and over again," one of the debaters, Historian Owen Gingerich from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, argued. "My feeling is that in retrospect, the IAU should not have attempted to define the word 'planet.'"

With the complicated history of the debate in mind, three experts put forward their opinions, and according to The Irish Examiner, they went as follows:

1. Historian Owen Gingerich argued: A planet is a culturally-defined word that changes over time. Pluto IS a planet.

2. Gareth Williams, from the IAU's Minor Planets Center argued: A planet is a spherical body that orbits the Sun and has cleared its path. Pluto is NOT a planet.

3. Dimitar Sasselov, the director of Harvard’s planetary program, the Origins Of Life Initiative, argued: A planet is the smallest spherical lump of matter that formed around stars or stellar remnants. Pluto IS a planet.

Argument number 3 was voted by the audience as most convincing, but with the understanding that things change in science where more information is discovered, and when it comes to, you know, THE UNIVERSE, there is still much to be learned.

So Pluto should be considered a planet right now, the audience decided, but that could change in the future as our knowledge about planets and other cosmic bodies grows.

You can watch the debate in full here:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wooo!Welcome back Pluto.
Just yesterday we(me and my colleagues) argued that Pluto wasn't a planet in our Geography class(because it said so in our books,but our books were printed in 2001).Damn.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Woot Woot! Im glad to have Pluto back!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

welcome-back-my.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Glad to have Pluto back on the team, after all he does orbit the SUN, unlike some other dwarf planets they were talking about.

Now, truth is Pluto doesn't mean anything to us, we are still far long from travelling to it.

Sweet, my favorite planet is a planet again! I hope this doesn't confuse those poor children who had to grow up being told there were only 8 planets.

Glad to have it back, I hope it lasts (and one day, to visit it in person :D if possible of course)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

About a week ago (NO BOBBY SHUMRDA THIS TIME) my geographis teacher told all my class that there wore only 8 planet's. I'll show her 8 planets. How can she even be a teacher still?

Glad to have Pluto back on the team, after all he does orbit the SUN, unlike some other dwarf planets they were talking about.

Now, truth is Pluto doesn't mean anything to us, we are still far long from travelling to it.

in your argument, every asteroid, the kuiper belt and all the solar objects after it are planets as well ;)

also, were way past pluto already

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Sweet, my favorite planet is a planet again! I hope this doesn't confuse those poor children who had to grow up being told there were only 8 planets.

Based on my class, it will. I actually can't wait to pull this wildcard in an exam / in a lesson :D

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

HERE IS THE PROBLEM: Three scientist can't on their own declare Pluto a planet. That is not how it works. This was a debate, and in this debate two were for it and 1 was against. IAU has final say in this and thankfully they base their decisions on scientific evidence, not popular opinion.

People need to grow up. Making pluto a planet again would mean we'd have to reshape our definition of planet again and by that logic; countless of asteroids whom are larger than pluto would be planets too. We would be in a solar system with hundreds of planets, eight of which are actually important in their own right.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

HERE IS THE PROBLEM: Three scientist can't on their own declare Pluto a planet. That is not how it works. This was a debate, and in this debate two were for it and 1 was against.

And If Pluto is a planet, then we are in a solar system with hundreds of planets, eight of which are actually important in their own right.

Can't you let us dream for a little while?

HERE IS THE PROBLEM: Three scientist can't on their own declare Pluto a planet. That is not how it works. This was a debate, and in this debate two were for it and 1 was against. IAU has final say in this and thankfully they base their decisions on scientific evidence, not popular opinion.

People need to grow up. Making pluto a planet again would mean we'd have to reshape our definition of planet again and by that logic; countless of asteroids whom are larger than pluto would be planets too. We would be in a solar system with hundreds of planets, eight of which are actually important in their own right.

i thought this was a bunch of bollocks, and i guess that bollocks was a sensationalist title, couldn't fathom why they would suddenly declare pluto a planet again, that would be utter bullshit in my opinion, would just make things more confusing than it has to be.

Ah well, guess they should have a special exception in the definition of planets that says: Also, because we can, Pluto is a planet.

Now to make Eris a planet though.

Actually a lot of things orbiting the Sun are Huge.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China