Vendors stop developing touchscreen notebooks according to DigiTimes

Good, hopefully it will mean there will be less glossy screens on notebooks because glossy screens are the bane of this earth.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Bad day for Linus, "Meh" for the rest of us who never gave a fuck about touchscreen on laptops. I am of course assuming this doesn't counts for transformer tablet/laptop devices of course.

-------

Current Rig

-------

i personal believe that a device designed to be touch in the first place should be touched. a device that what not supposed to be touched, should not be touchable. that said, I cant stand finger prints on my monitor or laptop screen. I get over this fact with my ipad and iphone but these devices I can easily wipe on my pant leg. moreover, laptops with touch screen may require placing a hand behind the screen such that you dont flip your lid. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

same here, i find it funny to see people rejecting the idea of touchscreen laptop since it's very usefull just like you said.

it's not a dekstop where your hands are in a far distance from the screen, just like its name, it's a "LAPTOP". when you put your laptop on "top" of your "lap" it's very convenient and much more efficient to navigate using the touch screen rather than the touchpad. surely you didn't a need a convertible one to make use of the advantage of a touchscreen on a laptop.

One main reason for me is fingerprints. General laptops don't benefit from it if the device has a really good touchpad or alternate input. Tablets benefit from it, as they don't have any other method of input. Convertible tablets are only good if they have digitizer support, and very few touchscreen (non-convertible) notebooks had that, so why bother having touch? Here's an example: The Thinkpad X240 changed the hinge design to allow the screen to open up to 180 degrees to allow for "writing on the screen" - but the device has only a regular touchscreen with no digitizer support, making writing on the screen both awkward (due to the positioning) and clumsy (due to using a stylus). 

Either way, I use something better than touchpads and touchscreens - the Thinkpad's trackpoint buttons are the best option for laptops. Never have to take my hand off the keyboard, so I can use the trackpoint without breaking the flow of my typing. Also works for replacing many of the touchscreen features. It's also more precise than a regular laptop mouse. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Lame. I guess I'll have to get a Blade 14 2014 if I want a touchscreen gaming grade notebook!

I thought you didnt plan on giving it back?

i dont think this is that big of a deal, 2-in-1's will be a thing, and i think this can do 2 things. 

force vendors to make better 2-in-1 style laptops, like the xps 12

someone will make a 2-in-1/ tablet gaming device, like the razer thing that was a thing (razer edge?)

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

One main reason for me is fingerprints. General laptops don't benefit from it if the device has a really good touchpad or alternate input. Tablets benefit from it, as they don't have any other method of input. Convertible tablets are only good if they have digitizer support, and very few touchscreen (non-convertible) notebooks had that, so why bother having touch? Here's an example: The Thinkpad X240 changed the hinge design to allow the screen to open up to 180 degrees to allow for "writing on the screen" - but the device has only a regular touchscreen with no digitizer support, making writing on the screen both awkward (due to the positioning) and clumsy (due to using a stylus). 

Either way, I use something better than touchpads and touchscreens - the Thinkpad's trackpoint buttons are the best option for laptops. Never have to take my hand off the keyboard, so I can use the trackpoint without breaking the flow of my typing. Also works for replacing many of the touchscreen features. It's also more precise than a regular laptop mouse. 

let me just repeat myself here: just like its name, it's a "LAPTOP". when you put your laptop on "top" of your "lap" it's very convenient and much more efficient to navigate using the touch screen rather than the touchpad.  My laptop is just a regular one without a touch screen, and when i use it on my lap, it hurts (sore) my finger from repeated use of the touchpad because how unnatural it is. it's easier to just touch the screen rather than reaching the touchpad in this position. 

fingerprints?, a cheap tissue would solve the problem.

let me just repeat myself here: just like its name, it's a "LAPTOP". when you put your laptop on "top" of your "lap" it's very convenient and much more efficient to navigate using the touch screen rather than the touchpad.  My laptop is just a regular one without a touch screen, and when i use it on my lap, it hurts (sore) my finger from repeated use of the touchpad because how unnatural it is. it's easier to just touch the screen rather than reaching the touchpad in this position. 

fingerprints?, a cheap tissue would solve the problem.

Wrong, cheap tissues smear the fingerprints. Micro-fiber cloth cleans the screen. 

For a laptop, I find the keyboard to be the most convenient input method. Anything that takes your hand too far away from the keyboard is an unnecessary component. Touchpad is closer to the keyboard, the Thinkpad's trackpoint is right inside the keyboard. It's much better than using the touchscreen. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

i love my lenovo Yoga 2, touchscreen is very useful shame if they go away.

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB