American (Los Angeles) diet: Will my asian GF starve to death?

a_block_of_wood

No it's not. Lol, far from it. We've got jack shit for food.

You need to travel. America is like several little countries when it comes to food. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Dutch food and my mom's cooking from Iraq is amazing. No wonder I'm fat.

Nope, it's not

Certainly not dutch food

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

You need to travel. America is like several little countries when it comes to food. 

I've lived all over this place, been to most of the famous places to eat, shopped in stores from low to high end all over the country. We don't have shit.

Nope, it's not

Certainly not dutch food

Yeah, opinions.

I find American food blah, doesn't come close to the pure taste rollercoaster of my mom's cooking.

Yeah, opinions.

I find American food blah, doesn't come close to the pure taste rollercoaster of my mom's cooking.

I understand, but dutch food does not have any real amazing food. It's nice, but not great!

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

I understand, but dutch food does not have any real amazing food. It's nice, but not great!

65_wat.jpg

Okay okay, much potato, very much fries, wow.

I know, but I like that

I've lived all over this place, been to most of the famous places to eat, shopped in stores from low to high end all over the country. We don't have shit.

In once place you can eat chicken feet and then get a legit Mexican food down the street if you can find the immigrants. You are not looking hard enough. Sure it's limited when it comes to finding legitimate foreign cuisine, but the variety is there like no other. "Popular" cuisine here is Americanized food. It's how it is. A famous restaurant in New York is about the same as one in Arizona. If it's popular, that means it serves the mainstream American across all areas. 

Sure we have mostly American food here, and it's almost all localized, but we are a lot of culture and we fuckin love food here. You can find what you want if you look hard enough. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

In once place you can eat chicken feet and get a legit Mexican food down the street if you can find the immigrants. You are not looking hard enough. Sure it's limited when it comes to finding legitimate foreign cuisine, but the variety is there like no other. "Popular" cuisine here is Americanized food. It's how it is. A famous restaurant in New York is about the same as one in Arizona. 

Sure we have mostly American food here, and it's almost all localized, but we are a lot of culture and we fuckin love food here. You can find what you want if you look hard enough. 

I have been to most of the popular places.

I mean that in a literal sense. Cuisine here has nothing on Europe.

I have been to most of the popular places.

I mean that in a literal sense. Cuisine here has nothing on Europe.

If it's popular, that means it serves the mainstream American across all areas. American food basically, even if it's labeled with another culture, like Italian or Chinese. 

Popular!= good

Our food is localized, and not the best, but if you look you will find. It's not saying it's all good, but good is available. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Okay okay, much potato, very much fries, wow.

I know, but I like that

Hahahah nice, yes very much potatoes.

If it's popular, that means it serves the mainstream American across all areas. American food basically, even if it's labeled with another culture, like Italian or Chinese. 

Popular!= good

Our food is localized, and not the best, but if you look you will find. It's not saying it's all good, but good is available. 

It doesn't taste as good and the ingredients for cooking here are pretty bad.

You can find what you want if you look hard enough. 

Oh no... I just remembered she has no sense of direction, and can't read a map, and can't follow direction (be it from a sat nav or instant ramen cooking instruction).

She loves authentic Thai tomyam. Last we traveled, she claim the tomyam was tasteless, while I think it's fine considering the hotel need to carter to foreigner who can't eat spicy food.

The tomyam she likes will give me diarrhea for 3 days.

It doesn't taste as good and the ingredients for cooking here are pretty bad.

I will not forget the first time I tried real food from Japan, imported. It changed my world almost. American food is a hodgepodge of crap. Good crap, but crap. We have no real identity when it comes to food.

But once I tried real food, I vowed to travel abroad one day. We have it here, but it's hard to find. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Oh no... I just remembered she has no sense of direction, and can't read a map, and can't follow direction (be it from a sat nav or instant ramen cooking instruction).

She loves authentic Thai tomyam. Last we traveled, she claim the tomyam was tasteless, while I think it's fine considering the hotel need to carter to foreigner who can't eat spicy food.

The tomyam she likes will give me diarrhea for 3 days.

Dude. She needs to learn to eat our crap then. 

Tell her to pour franks redhot on everything. It may be bad food, but after a while, you just won't care. 

Tell her to eat at our schools or prisons. (Try prisons first, it's better). The other shit won't seem so bad by comparison. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Dude. She needs to learn to eat our crap then. 

Tell her to pour franks redhot on everything. It may be bad food, but after a while, you just won't care. 

Tell her to eat at our schools or prisons. (Try prisons first, it's better). The other shit won't seem so bad by comparison. 

I like oat porridge. She says it's prison food  :(

Too bad she didn't have her favourite seasoning to go along with all food. When I first moved to this city I bring along peppercorns from home and put freshly grounded peppercorns in everything.

I wish I know how to smack some sense into her. She's extremely limiting her own choice and make her own life hard  :(

It's almost dinner time here  :(  :(  :(  :(  :( mean it's headache time for me.... oh shoot.. she pinged me as I type this...

No it's not. Lol, far from it. We've got jack shit for food.

Have you seen arby's meat mountain? I demand you take that back sir! :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SasA0-Xhugk

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Have you seen arby's meat mountain? I demand you take that back sir! :P

I ate at Arby's a couple days ago. Can't knock our ability to make a sandwich, but overall American food is nothing special.

I ate at Arby's a couple days ago. Can't knock our ability to make a sandwich, but overall American food is nothing special.

If our ability is throwing every item on the menu between some bread then you are correct :D. I personally love Arby's and just out of morbid curiosity I want to try the meat mountain.  There's so much going on there I can't even comprehend. I don't really care, food is food. I'll eat it from where ever it comes(with a few exceptions, like the garbage)

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

She told me she decided not to go  :(

I bet other than food she'll tell me bunch of other made-up reasons now. I told her I'd support whatever decision she make, but still it's kind of disappointing. 

The only real reason is she's extremely reluctant to get out of her comfort zone unless there's no choice. Her reason of not trying something new is because she never tried it before, unless I force something on her.

Her diet seems dangerously unhealthy.

I can understand if she is allergic, but if not shesnot, she seriously needs to consider eating more than rice and mcdonalds.

Her diet seems dangerously unhealthy.

I can understand if she is allergic, but if not shesnot, she seriously needs to consider eating more than rice and mcdonalds.

She seems moderately healthy, although no way near athletic. Her usual diet consist of specific veggies pan fry in specific ways, tofu, sea food, chicken breast meat, rice. Mostly spicy and sour.

Honestly though, the city I live in now is name food capital of this country (Malaysia) and in my opinion people here live to eat. I moved here 3 years ago and it kinda shock me how unhealthy most of the food is. But I got used to it.

She didn't eat half the food here even when she's native, claim they are "dirty".  <_<

She told me she decided not to go  :(

I bet other than food she'll tell me bunch of other made-up reasons now. I told her I'd support whatever decision she make, but still it's kind of disappointing. 

The only real reason is she's extremely reluctant to get out of her comfort zone unless there's no choice. Her reason of not trying something new is because she never tried it before, unless I force something on her.

This mentality is going to screw her over in life.

I am curious: has your gf always been this picky about food her whole life? or did she choose to have this strange diet because of some BS she read somewhere?

I am curious: has your gf always been this picky about food her whole life? or did she choose to have this strange diet because of some BS she read somewhere?

My money is on a very accommodating mother as well as a very good cook.  When we go back to visit her parents, all her siblings sort of "order" what food they want and her mom would comply, if raw materials are available.

Something that would spell getting slap across the face and send to my bedroom hungry if I were to do that at my home.

Not sure if being selectively OCD has anything to do with it.  She can't stand the sight and smell of raw meat. I notice this when I take her grocery shopping and go over to the deli section.  I told her to stop eating processed meat and get fresh meat instead and she looks like she'll faint when I show her the fresh meat.