Ello: The Ad-Free Social Network Focused On Privacy

monopolyman

I searched Ello on the forums, and was surprised to not find anything. If I missed an already existing post I apologize, but I think this is pretty interesting. 

Ello is essentially a Facebook alternative (well it wants to be) that promises users an ad-free and data mining-free experience. The site will use no ads and it highly emphasizes privacy. The main critiques and questions are:

• Can the site truly remain ad-free? Twitter and Facebook started ad-free but now are riddled with ads
  • Are the telling the truth about privacy? There really is no way to tell. We just have to take their word for it
  • Will they ever redesign the UI to make it appeal to a more mainstream audience? The UI seems to be targeted towards "internet hipters". If Ello really wants to take off, they need to capture the older and more general audience Facebook attracts. 

Sources: CNET, Ello

Edited by monopolyman
removed external link

To me it looks like a 1 day made website as for the design and the invite only system seems just as dumb as the OnePlus' for the One. I highly doubt it will catch on since there are alternatives to Facebook already such as Twitter, Instagram, forums, Tumblr... you name it.

So:

1) Create yet another social network

2) Promise not to monetize it

3) Sell it to Facebook.

4) Profit!

Filled.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

'Internet hipsters'? Shut up.

That's what most people would see the targeted audience as (Added some " " to slightly clarify that, if that helps). I really wasn't sure how to describe it. If you have a better suggestion, let me know, but no need to be so hostile. 

That's what most people would see the targeted audience as (Added some " " to slightly clarify that, if that helps). I really wasn't sure how to describe it. If you have a better suggestion, let me know, but no need to be so hostile.

I'm not being hostile, you are. It is targeted at people concerned about privacy and want an ad free experience.

I'm not being hostile, you are. It is targeted at people concerned about privacy and want an ad free experience.

Maybe calm down and speak kindly instead of jumping on someone.

You can get over wanting privacy. They will still own everything you post.

I said the UI was targeted for "internet hipsters". The UI is completely unrelated to the privacy and lack of ads. I'm all for "educating the masses" when it comes to privacy concerns and I believe that everyone deserves privacy and a good experience without ads. However, the UI of Ello seems to only target "internet hipsters" who already know about the privacy concerns, and probably don't use Facebook in the first place. I was saying that they should change the UI in order to attract more people, therefore giving more people the privacy they deserve. 

It's a trap.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

"Internet Hispters" Does set a pretty negative tone. Something more like "The Ad free social network with a focus on privacy". The fact that you're targeting it at a given group is biased and non-objective in itself.
I think being invite only is not going to work that well, but apart from that it's always nice to see people having some balls to create what they want when no-one else will.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

ITT: Only some people understanding how these things work.

How do you think Facebook survived? It wasn't by staying ad free. 

Server and staff costs soon outweigh any investments that they would get, they need to start producing ads or other revenue streams to stay afloat. 

Ad free might last a few months. If they grow, they'll need capital. 

If they don't grow, they are dead anyways. 

"Internet Hispters" Does set a pretty negative tone. Something more like "The Ad free social network with a focus on privacy". The fact that you're targeting it at a given group is biased and non-objective in itself.

I think being invite only is not going to work that well, but apart from that it's always nice to see people having some balls to create what they want when no-one else will.

Thank you for the feedback, I changed the title. I am keeping my comment about the UI the same, as I still see it as targeted towards a non-mainstream audience. If you think I should change the wording of that, let me know. 

Yes, I used my own article as a source. If that's an issue, I apologize. 

It is against the CoC. 

Section "4.2: Advertisement" of the LTT CoC states:

"Any sort of advertisement on Linus Tech Tips that has little or no relation to Linus Media Group, or is not affiliated with Linus Media Group in any way will be considered spam and removed from the boards. This also pertains to signatures and/or profile information.

This includes but is not limited to doing a giveaway on the forums while linking/referring to outside accounts(Youtube, FB, etc.) in any way shape or form.

In addition to advertising, you may not sell any item via the forums other then through the Classifieds section nor advertise links to third party personal sale sites (EBay, Kijiji, etc.) where you might be selling your item. 

Links in the Hot Deals section to items being sold directly by the manufacturer or distributor, such as Razor, Dell, Amazon, Best Buy, etc., are allowed, but only in this section."

Swap out the source link with the CNET link and no issues will be had. 

COMIC SANS

It is against the CoC. 

Section "4.2: Advertisement" of the LTT CoC states:

"Any sort of advertisement on Linus Tech Tips that has little or no relation to Linus Media Group, or is not affiliated with Linus Media Group in any way will be considered spam and removed from the boards. This also pertains to signatures and/or profile information.

This includes but is not limited to doing a giveaway on the forums while linking/referring to outside accounts(Youtube, FB, etc.) in any way shape or form.

In addition to advertising, you may not sell any item via the forums other then through the Classifieds section nor advertise links to third party personal sale sites (EBay, Kijiji, etc.) where you might be selling your item. 

Links in the Hot Deals section to items being sold directly by the manufacturer or distributor, such as Razor, Dell, Amazon, Best Buy, etc., are allowed, but only in this section."

Swap out the source link with the CNET link and no issues will be had. 

Thanks for letting me know. I just took out my link and put in CNET and Ello.