Any experience with Toshiba HDD?

Ryukrieger
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

Hi, everyone.

I'm planning to buy a hard drive and has been looking at a Toshiba drive, this one, to be exact: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-dt01aca200

The problem is... I've been finding not much information about it, on Newegg there is positive customer reviews... mixed with bad ones, as always. So I'd like to hear from you guys to know about Toshiba's hard drives.

I know Seagate's older line has some dodgy reputation, WD is quite firm as far as I know and Hitachi has a reputation of low failure rate, but I don't know anything about Toshiba's.

Toshiba's actual failure rate - just like WD's and Seagate's - is quite low. In fact, all three HDD manufacturers have failure rates within a percent of each other.

That Toshiba drive will be totally fine. It will perform decently and if the price per GB is good, then it's worth getting. Yes, you might get a DoA. But the odds of you getting a DoA with the Toshiba is just as high as with WD or Seagate.

Anyone who says any particular manufacturer is less reliable has simply had a bad experience or been very unlucky.

As an example, the only HDD's I've ever had die on me were 3x 500GB Hitachi (HGST) drives, of which, ALL THREE WERE USED WHEN I GOT THEM, so that proves nothing.

As always, keep a backup of all your important information (and keep in mind, RAID does not equal a backup), and if your drive dies, RMA that sucker.

A side note, at work this week, I had both a WD and a Seagate drive crap out on us. So to reiterate, all the major manufacturers (WD, Seagate, HGST, and Toshiba) are pretty much within margin-of-error reliability of one another.

Hi, everyone.

I'm planning to buy a hard drive and has been looking at a Toshiba drive, this one, to be exact: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-dt01aca200

The problem is... I've been finding not much information about it, on Newegg there is positive customer reviews... mixed with bad ones, as always. So I'd like to hear from you guys to know about Toshiba's hard drives.

I know Seagate's older line has some dodgy reputation, WD is quite firm as far as I know and Hitachi has a reputation of low failure rate, but I don't know anything about Toshiba's.

Toshiba is okay, i bought one of their external hdd and it works fine.  Although i would prefer Seagate or Western Digital instead.

Hi, everyone.

Toshiba's actual failure rate - just like WD's and Seagate's - is quite low. In fact, all three HDD manufacturers have failure rates within a percent of each other.

That Toshiba drive will be totally fine. It will perform decently and if the price per GB is good, then it's worth getting. Yes, you might get a DoA. But the odds of you getting a DoA with the Toshiba is just as high as with WD or Seagate.

Anyone who says any particular manufacturer is less reliable has simply had a bad experience or been very unlucky.

As an example, the only HDD's I've ever had die on me were 3x 500GB Hitachi (HGST) drives, of which, ALL THREE WERE USED WHEN I GOT THEM, so that proves nothing.

As always, keep a backup of all your important information (and keep in mind, RAID does not equal a backup), and if your drive dies, RMA that sucker.

A side note, at work this week, I had both a WD and a Seagate drive crap out on us. So to reiterate, all the major manufacturers (WD, Seagate, HGST, and Toshiba) are pretty much within margin-of-error reliability of one another.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Toshiba is okay, i bought one of their external hdd and it works fine.  Although i would prefer Seagate or Western Digital instead.

Thank you very much, guys, for the information, that was all I needed to know!