Rate this Rig

Recon97

The ROG swift is a 1440p 144Hz monitor.

yeah i realized my mistake, it still seems like overkill ot get 2 980s but I guess if you want 144fps in all games at 1440p it makes more sense

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

yeah i realized my mistake, it still seems like overkill ot get 2 980s but I guess if you want 144fps in all games at 1440p it makes more sense

Well it wouldn't be all games. Even two 980s can't get a constant 144fps+ in games like metro or crysis at 1440p.

But that's exactly what gsync is for :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Now I have no idea how to make a clean looking g over xD

YouTube videos are not that good.

@brob Not sure what you really mean.

Since you have changed to LGA1150 I will forgo an explanation of the LGA2011-3 cpu differences with respect to PCIe lanes.

If you will not need more than 1TB of storage then you would get a much better system going with a single 1TB ssd instead of a 512GB ssd and a 1TB sshd. The cost would be ~$140 more. If that does not fit the budget then get a 1TB WD Blue (Western Digital WD10EZEX) or Seagate Barracuda (Seagate ST1000DM003) hdd instead of the sshd.

SSHD are hybrid drives that have a relatively small ssd "cache" component with a larger hdd for the main store. Frequently accessed sectors find their way into the ssd "cache". When such a drive is used a boot & system drive the typical result is that very frequently used o/s & program stuff resides in the ssd cache. But on a secondary storage drive the pattern of access is much more random, i.e. many more sectors have similar access frequencies. As a result there are many more cache misses. Meaning that the drive does not perform much better than a 7200 rpm hdd.

On LGA1150 it is better to get a 2x8GB memory kit. This puts less strain on the memory controller and on the selected motherboard leaves room for a memory upgrade without replacing existing modules.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Since you have changed to LGA1150 I will forgo an explanation of the LGA2011-3 cpu differences with respect to PCIe lanes.

If you will not need more than 1TB of storage then you would get a much better system going with a single 1TB ssd instead of a 512GB ssd and a 1TB sshd. The cost would be ~$140 more. If that does not fit the budget then get a 1TB WD Blue (Western Digital WD10EZEX) or Seagate Barracuda (Seagate ST1000DM003) hdd instead of the sshd.

SSHD are hybrid drives that have a relatively small ssd "cache" component with a larger hdd for the main store. Frequently accessed sectors find their way into the ssd "cache". When such a drive is used a boot & system drive the typical result is that very frequently used o/s & program stuff resides in the ssd cache. But on a secondary storage drive the pattern of access is much more random, i.e. many more sectors have similar access frequencies. As a result there are many more cache misses. Meaning that the drive does not perform much better than a 7200 rpm hdd.

On LGA1150 it is better to get a 2x8GB memory kit. This puts less strain on the memory controller and on the selected motherboard leaves room for a memory upgrade without replacing existing modules.

You look like a person with lots of detailed knowledge.

Is my keyboard and mouse good? I want a black red color scheme.I have changed the drives to 2 tb. What about CPU cooler.Should get a pair of ssd 215 gb each or just a single ssd?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220-X 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ NCIX US)

Thermal Compound: Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Aluminum High-Grade 30g Thermal Paste

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII FORMULA ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($310.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($279.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($208.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($559.98 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($559.98 @ NCIX US)

Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case ($179.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)

Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($807.58 @ Newegg)

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.98 @ OutletPC)

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($135.99 @ Amazon)

Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse ($47.99 @ Amazon)

Headphones: Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Black Headset ($279.95 @ Amazon)

Other: Nvidia SLI Connector

Total: $4072.35

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-27 02:41 EDT-0400

@Recon97,

Mouse and keyboard are personal choices. The ones in your latest build are good.

Stick with a single ssd.

The H220-X cpu cooler is very good. It comes with a tube of quality thermal compound so there should be no need to buy something else.

You might want to hold off ordering the SP120 fans. With the addition of the H220-X fans there should be sufficient airflow through the case. They can easily be added later.

You may want to consider memory modules that contribute a little more to the color scheme. Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-2133 CAS 9 Vengeance Pro, G.Skill 2x8GB DDR3-2133 CAS 9 Trident X Series, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-2400 CAS 11 Vengeance Pro, and G.Skill 2x8GB DDR3-2133 CAS 11 Ares Series would all be reasonable choices.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Well it wouldn't be all games. Even two 980s can't get a constant 144fps+ in games like metro or crysis at 1440p.

But that's exactly what gsync is for :)

lol its amazing how those games still are hard to run even when they are pretty old 

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

† TTCF Member †

@Recon97,

Mouse and keyboard are personal choices. The ones in your latest build are good.

Stick with a single ssd.

The H220-X cpu cooler is very good. It comes with a tube of quality thermal compound so there should be no need to buy something else.

You might want to hold off ordering the SP120 fans. With the addition of the H220-X fans there should be sufficient airflow through the case. They can easily be added later.

You may want to consider memory modules that contribute a little more to the color scheme. Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-2133 CAS 9 Vengeance Pro, G.Skill 2x8GB DDR3-2133 CAS 9 Trident X Series, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-2400 CAS 11 Vengeance Pro, and G.Skill 2x8GB DDR3-2133 CAS 11 Ares Series would all be reasonable choices.

So I don't need to buy any thermal compound then?

Corsair dominator platinum comes with light tubes which beautifies the guts of a pc.

lol its amazing how those games still are hard to run even when they are pretty old

It seems that those old games were not optimized.

It seems that those old games were not optimized.

that would also be a very plausible cause, well here's hoping you will find another great game with great graphics to stress out your soon-to-be epic system :D

† TTCF Member †

that would also be a very plausible cause, well here's hoping you will find another great game with great graphics to stress out your soon-to-be epic system :D

Thank you very much.I am gonna just quit this topic now cuz I am not feeling good.I think I am getting flu. :(

So I don't need to buy any thermal compound then?

Corsair dominator platinum comes with light tubes which beautifies the guts of a pc.

I will be installing sp120 fan for bottom Air intake.

Actually I want the red color to be least used in my rig.The mobo is already black and red.The ram is totally red. IS it worth spending money on dominator platinum?

The 5820k has a higher TDP, meaning you will hit a thermal limit sooner than a 4790k.

Also the 4790k has a higher base clock, so you can take the overclock much farther.

And finally no, your 2700k does not perform the same as current CPUs.

Plus the other thousands benchmarks you get from just googling 2700k vs 4770k

Then considering the fact that the 4790k is better than the 4770k by quite a bit, your CPU is quite out of date.

Oh and also skylake is rumoured to be a massive performance improvement, over 150%, so it will be cheaper to upgrade if you saved money by not going x99.

The 2700k feels virtually the same in day to day use. Are benchmarks going to be different? Obviously. It's a newer SKU. If it didn't show better metrics, people wouldn't buy it.

I doubt I'd notice 3 - 4 seconds unzipping a file. It's not something I do every single day.

But I don't see noticeable frame rate differences when gaming, and no slow downs anywhere else.

I put absolutely no weight in rumored specs of a processor that is still well over a year away from being released.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red