H220X pump rattle

For all you water cooling gurus I got a question for you.

Do water cooling pumps supposed to make a knocking rattleing sound because I just got a H220x and at full speed that pump is noisier than my stock AMD Heatsink and fan. I left it to burn in all day but it's a bit better but I never heard of a pump needing to be burned in

Not sure if all of this is normal because it's the first liquid cooling solution I see in real life.How to convince the RMA guy or is this even a problem?

Suggestions?

P.S. It does keep it very cool.

Edit:Typos

AND THIS 60 second video of the rattling

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vho8qs66kaoq3xd/2014-09-26%2019.24.12.mp4?dl=0

from a fellow bearded Canadian!

I'm not going to lie Swiftechs quality control is pretty bad (along with a few other AIO companies). I have a H320 and I get like super super super minor pump noise at low rpm but I also get a water swirling sound. When it first happened I literally had a heart attack and immediately opened my case to see if there was a leak. There are a few youtube videos that can help you out, it involves opening your loop and taking pump apart and cleaning this gunk that builds up on it from factory.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

This is why I do not reccomend the H220 or H220x liquid coolers...

You can try to RMA to get a quieter one, but traditionally those 'high power' swiftec pumps are LOUD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah I did find some white shreds that look like Styrofoam when I first got it but I figured it had to do with the additive they put in it for stuff not to grow. I guess i'll be cleaning that out but the thing is that it's like a serious knock at low rpm it's "fine" but under load it's like a baby helicopter.If I don't get the RMA i'll probably clean it myself.

Mine made the same sounds before giving up completely, I'd RMA it sooner rather then later. 

Do water cooling pumps supposed to make a knocking rattleing sound because I just got a H220x and at full speed that pump is noisier than my stock AMD Heatsink and fan. I left it to burn in all day but it's a bit better but I never heard of a pump needing to be burned in

Not sure if all of this is normal because it's the first liquid cooling solution I see in real life.How to convince the RMA guy or is this even a problem?

Suggestions?

No a rattle is NOT normal. This is the first time I hear of an H220-X with an issue, they are QC'd, re-QC'D, tested and retested... So I want to see this one.. Can you please contact bryan@swiftech.com for an RMA ?  We'll cross-ship you a new one right away.

I'm not going to lie Swiftechs quality control is pretty bad (along with a few other AIO companies). I have a H320 and I get like super super super minor pump noise at low rpm but I also get a water swirling sound. When it first happened I literally had a heart attack and immediately opened my case to see if there was a leak. There are a few youtube videos that can help you out, it involves opening your loop and taking pump apart and cleaning this gunk that builds up on it from factory.

You would not say this if you were -like me, here at our China factory. Our people are truly checking these kits with a fine tooth comb.  We had issues in the past with H220, we learnt from them, and have setup a process that leaves nothing to chance.

This is why I do not reccomend the H220 or H220x liquid coolers...

You can try to RMA to get a quieter one, but traditionally those 'high power' swiftec pumps are LOUD.

I am sorry to hear that. No I really cannot agree with you that the pumps in these kits are loud, even at high speed. Now, loudness is a subjective thing as you know, but I have listened to hundreds of them in QC, and these pumps make the normal noise of any electric motor spinning at 3000 rpm.  PWM control is there to adjust the sound level to each user's comfort and or performance level.

Yeah I did find some white shreds that look like Styrofoam when I first got it but I figured it had to do with the additive they put in it for stuff not to grow. I guess i'll be cleaning that out but the thing is that it's like a serious knock at low rpm it's "fine" but under load it's like a baby helicopter.If I don't get the RMA i'll probably clean it myself.

this is most likely plasticizer. we've had some difficulties with this beautiful and super flexible tubing in this respect. In fact, we are switching to an EPDM tubing next month. it is not pretty glossy like this one, but it is totally plasticizer free, since it is rubber  based.

Mine made the same sounds before giving up completely, I'd RMA it sooner rather then later. 

I am yet to hear about a DOA for the H220-X , but I've been in China for two weeks.. are you sure yours wasn't an H220 ?   

No a rattle is NOT normal. This is the first time I hear of an H220-X with an issue, they are QC'd, re-QC'D, tested and retested... So I want to see this one.. Can you please contact bryan@swiftech.com for an RMA ?  We'll cross-ship you a new one right away.

You would not say this if you were -like me, here at our China factory. Our people are truly checking these kits with a fine tooth comb.  We had issues in the past with H220, we learnt from them, and have setup a process that leaves nothing to chance.

I am sorry to hear that. No I really cannot agree with you that the pumps in these kits are loud, even at high speed. Now, loudness is a subjective thing as you know, but I have listened to hundreds of them in QC, and these pumps make the normal noise of any electric motor spinning at 3000 rpm.  PWM control is there to adjust the sound level to each user's comfort and or performance level.

this is most likely plasticizer. we've had some difficulties with this beautiful and super flexible tubing in this respect. In fact, we are switching to an EPDM tubing next month. it is not pretty glossy like this one, but it is totally plasticizer free, since it is rubber  based.

I am yet to hear about a DOA for the H220-X , but I've been in China for two weeks.. are you sure yours wasn't an H220 ?   

Question for you sir, can the H220-X be mounted in a vertical position as well as a horizontal one?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Uh, yeah, pretty hard to mistake the two..

Super awesome to see you responding to the community but since the launch of the h220 (which you admit had problems) and to this day people are still receiving the units with issues. I'm a huge swiftech fan but until proven otherwise my opinion of the AIO units remains the same. Your standalone water cooling components on the other hand are great.

If what you are saying is correct I shouldn't be having the issues I have with my h320 and nor should the OP with his h220x. I have a build log here on LTT (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/) where you can see nothing of my is installed incorrectly and I never mishandled it and like I said I get rattle at low rpm pump speed and a swirling sound which can mean I need to bleed the loop or my unit came with low fluid. I just did a burn in on my cpu before responding just so I can correctly explain to you what is happening and the swirling sound is still there at high pump speed but the rattling is not.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Suggestions?

Sounds like the pump in my fish tank build when it doesn't have any water in it, might be chewing on an air bubble, you could try bleeding it out but if that doesn't work RMA it.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

Do water cooling pumps supposed to make a knocking rattleing sound.

I left it to burn in all day but it's a bit better but I never heard of a pump needing to be burned in

Suggestions?

is it normal? not supposed to be, but a plagued problem of the H220-series.

burn-in is crap, you're looking to bleed the system of air, not burn it up (which

sounds like you have a burned impeller/bearing)

best to lower the pump speed to 30-40% and rediagnosis. if the noise is still

present, a drop of dish soap (not more than a drop) and retest. if still noisy,

RMA time.

you might rock the case gently to work that large air pocket out (stuck in the

inlet cavity) adjusting the speed up and down (prevent from going 100%)

my h220x doesn't seem to have any of these issues i run it around 1700-2000rpm 24/7

i have just been playing with it going from 1150rpm to 3000 quickly nothing seems out of the ordinary

is it normal? not supposed to be, but a plagued problem of the H220-series.

burn-in is crap, you're looking to bleed the system of air, not burn it up (which

sounds like you have a burned impeller/bearing)

best to lower the pump speed to 30-40% and rediagnosis. if the noise is still

present, a drop of dish soap (not more than a drop) and retest. if still noisy,

RMA time.

you might rock the case gently to work that large air pocket out (stuck in the

inlet cavity) adjusting the speed up and down (prevent from going 100%)

I tried and check-ed for that.I initially thought their was no coolant because there was not a single air bubble and floaty things in the loop. Swiftech's method of a vacuuming the liquid in the loop is 100% it got me fooled.

Wow this is really cool of you to take the time to interact with the community and to shed some light in the situation. I'm very impressed and pleased you take the time to explain to the enthusiasts the process and components that go in these products. I genuinely thank you for your time.

I tried and check-ed for that.I initially thought their was no coolant because there was not a single air bubble and floaty things in the loop. Swiftech's method of a vacuuming the liquid in the loop is 100% it got me fooled.

Wow this is really cool of you to take the time to interact with the community and to shed some light in the situation. I'm very impressed and pleased you take the time to explain to the enthusiasts the process and components that go in these products. I genuinely thank you for your time.

We're taking care of you and please let me know if you have any issues or complaints with regards to our RMA process or customer support.

Phenom II 1090T @ 4.0, 8 gigs of Kingston Hyper X 1600Mhz, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7, EVGA GTX 680 Hydro Copper, OCZ Vertex 4, Switch 810 gloss black, Swiftech Apogee HD, Swiftech MCR 320 XP, Swiftech MCR 140 QP, Swiftech 220 XP, Swiftech MCP 655 B, Alphacool D5 pump top, Bitspower Z-inline 150 water tank, EK 990FXA-UD7 water block, Swiftech Lok-Seal fittings, Swiftech Helix 120 and 140mm fans, Primo-Chill Blood Red coolant.

Not to hijack a thread but I am having some pump noise issues with my H320.I tries bleeding the system as described on the swiftech forum but the noise persists 

Video of noise :

The Hex top that was on the cooler had a missing peg and the glue never really held it on that well so I took it off because I prefer the look of the Swiftech logo (and the glue cant be seen when the side panel is on.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.