GTX 980, 4K, Upgrade

Kyle2278

Hi everyone,

So my system is getting an upgrade hopefully within 2 weeks and I wanted to do a build log because I love looking at them so much.

My current system is:

Intel i7-4770k

Zotac GTX470

Corsair AX760

ASRock Z87 Extreme4

16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram

128GB SSD

1tb + 2tb HDD

Coolermaster cm 690 ii

Alienware 24" 1080p 3D Monitor

For my upgrade I want to add a single EVGA GTX980 for now but go sli in the future. Individually sleeved psu cables (green). Dell 24" 4K monitor and a corsair 450D case.

My graphics has been long due an upgrade so with this new generation and my birthday coming up I think its time :)

Do you think adding more SSD space would be beneficial? And also do you know how the fans are on the 450D? I dont know weather I should get new ones straight away or not.

thanks heaps Ill be sure to add lots of nice pictures as the build progresses.

Dell 24" 4K monitor

Don't. Just don't do it please? Get the 28" 4K monitor instead.

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Don't. Just don't do it please? Get the 28" 4K monitor instead.

28" in a TN I don't want TN

corsair 450D case.

No. 780T/760T. Yeah, a 256 gb ssd is nice,really if you want your games to load faster

No. 780T/760T. Yeah, a 256 gb ssd is nice,really if you want your games to load faster

not a big fan of the 780 but the 760 is alright. What makes you say I should go with them?  Also nice picture :)

Doubt you need a new SSD. If you're a quiet freak you won't enjoy the noise level of the stock fans on the 450D.

I don't recommend pushing a 4K monitor with anything less the SLI GTX 980. It's also a shame to do 4K on a 24" panel.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Doubt you need a new SSD. If you're a quiet freak you won't enjoy the noise level of the stock fans on the 450D.

I don't recommend pushing a 4K monitor with anything less the SLI GTX 980. It's also a shame to do 4K on a 24" panel.

Yeah not planning on gaming on it untill i have sli but I will use it for editing, I do a lot of photos. 24" is all I can fit on my desk as even that there isnt too much room. Yeah I think im fine with the SSD I have now

If you do intend to game on it at 4K, I would suggest getting a monitor with gsync or AMD's adaptive refresh rate thingy.

2 980s in SLI are not good enough for stable 60fps at 4K and 3-way SLI has never been worth it.

That or edit your photos at 4K and game at 1080p.

If you do intend to game on it at 4K, I would suggest getting a monitor with gsync or AMD's adaptive refresh rate thingy.

2 980s in SLI are not good enough for stable 60fps at 4K and 3-way SLI has never been worth it.

G-sync would be great but There arent any good 4K monitors out yet are there? and from the benchmarks I have been looking at sli 980's seem fine for 4k, personally anything over 30fps is playable for me

I will probably edit in 4k and game in 1080p, that was the plan

I will probably edit in 4k and game in 1080p, that was the plan

Well in that case SLI seems like an overkill.

Unless you need such power for hardware accelerating the editing or other GPGPU tasks, a single 970 would probably do.

Yeah not planning on gaming on it untill i have sli but I will use it for editing, I do a lot of photos. 24" is all I can fit on my desk as even that there isnt too much room. Yeah I think im fine with the SSD I have now

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/unlocked/3-way-sli-nvidia-gtx-980-review-benchmarks-at-4k-idnum326/

4K with SLI GTX 980's seem to fair pretty well. Right now 1440p is still the sweet spot IMO, a single GTX 980 with for example a PB278Q® would be nice and it'd be amazing with SLI.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/unlocked/3-way-sli-nvidia-gtx-980-review-benchmarks-at-4k-idnum326/

4K with SLI GTX 980's seem to fair pretty well. Right now 1440p is still the sweet spot IMO, a single GTX 980 with for example a PB278Q® would be nice and it'd be amazing with SLI.

Yeah I am going to play what I can at 4k and if not 1440p

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

So my GPU arrived today!! I ended up getting a EVGA GTX 980 because I have had EVGA in the past and they have been so good with quality and customer service. I went with a blower type as I plan to sli in the future.

I am trying to add photos but am unsure how. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks 

Photos are up:

EVGA GTX 980

15294960248_bac58cd518_z.jpg

15294727769_45a790b66f_z.jpg

15294930620_d4a22cbd91_z.jpg

15294737679_4fd3e133da_z.jpg

Corsair 450D

15294976450_622bd8fea8_z.jpg

15295024888_bd60f9c7b5_z.jpg

More build log will be added and updated when I get time and when parts arrive

I am also thinking about looking into watercooling, how hard and expensive is it?

Thanks.