970 vs 290

7850OC

970 vs 290

(i stay with the R9 290)  :lol:

Linus  ^_^

The 970 overcomes the 290 for a bit, go watch Jayz's video

yeah ^_^ is true

all this benchmarks are with out OC, and with OC the 290 runs like a R9 290X  B)

i will add the video up  ;)

I have an R9 280X its performance is on par with the GTX 770 and i am very happy with it at 1080P. The GTX 970 is a very attractive card at the current price point with a performance on par with the GTX 780, but i believe that the main attraction is the price point and the power consumption.

But since i bought an R9 280X this year i won't be changing Graphics Cards anytime soon (maybe i'll wait for a next generation of the Maxwell architecture), even though it is very tempting to jump to a GTX 970. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

I'm still getting a 970 so far given how things are priced.

AMD is supposedly announcing/releasing something tomorrow

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

AMD is supposedly announcing/releasing something tomorrow

Yeah but.. I don't want a card that requires more radiator space than I'm already planning and draws more power to do the same thing.

Yeah but.. I don't want a card that requires more radiator space than I'm already planning and draws more power to do the same thing.

they do have the tonga architechture up their sleeve, which is more power effecient 

we'll see

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

we dont know that it will draw more power

AMD might surprise us

also tonga was a great example of power efficiency

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

they do have the tonga architechture up their sleeve, which is more power effecient 

we'll see

More power efficient than Hawaii, not Maxwell.

we dont know that it will draw more power

AMD might surprise us

also tonga was a great example of power efficiency

I'm still probably going to go with Nvidia on this one. It'll take a lot for AMD to get me over bad to their side for a card.

More power efficient than Hawaii, not Maxwell.

Tonga is also a bit more efficient than Kepler... Performance similar to 770 with power consumption similar to 760...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Judging by AMD's track record i would guess they arent so concerned about power efficiency as they are performance (CPU's or GPU's) so i wouldnt assume that it would change for the next series.   Besides i wouldnt think there would be many gamers out there that dont share this attitude when it comes to performance.  Getting a more power efficient product is really just an added bonus not a requirement for an enthusiast.

I have an R9 280X its performance is on par with the GTX 770 and i am very happy with it at 1080P. The GTX 970 is a very attractive card at the current price point with a performance on par with the GTX 780, but i believe that the main attraction is the price point and the power consumption.

But since i bought an R9 280X this year i won't be changing Graphics Cards anytime soon (maybe i'll wait for a next generation of the Maxwell architecture), even though it is very tempting to jump to a GTX 970.

Agreed. I have the equivalent of what you have, a 770. I see no reason to upgre especially at 1080p and that I can max games out already.

Probably will wait until next nvidia cards or even later. I generally try to upgrade every 3 gens.