Considering chaning OS to Linux

I already found that actually. Things are BLANK on it, and there's no way that should happen. It says I have zero usb deviecs. Found network interfaces, but it still doesn't have the functionality I want of checking to see what driver is currently being used for each hardware.

Something is definitely happening, network interfaces goes blank after a while when my network connection just dies. Only way to fix it is to disable, then re-enable wifi. It's a huge pain right now.

Congratulations, you have found one of the many quirks with linux.

To view network interfaces and their status, run this from the terminal:

/sbin/ifconfig -a

For USB devices, including chipsets/hubs do:

lsusb

EDIT: If you are having trouble with wireless, what wifi card are you using?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:13:ef:77:15:4c  
          inet addr:192.168.0.5  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: removed 4 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:561509 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:174572 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:822203262 (822.2 MB)  TX bytes:18908284 (18.9 MB)

It's a crappy USB wi-fi dongle, basically this although I doubt it's the same exact model. It's probably the same OEM though. I stole it from my Raspberry Pi because I knew drivers existed.

edit: also finding out that thermal throttling will be a huge PITA (I'm supposed to be overclocked, and that apparently doesn't work without re-working some things) and I'm okay with my CPU temps getting to 70, but apparently Ubuntu isn't. Gotta figure that out now. Ideally I want to set thermal throttling to start at 90 or 100 (Intel stock spec is 100) and let my CPU frequency go up to 4ghz like my overclock is supposed to allow.

Mint all the way

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:13:ef:77:15:4c  

inet addr:192.168.0.5  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: removed 4 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:561509 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:174572 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:822203262 (822.2 MB)  TX bytes:18908284 (18.9 MB)

It's a crappy USB wi-fi dongle, basically this although I doubt it's the same exact model. It's probably the same OEM though. I stole it from my Raspberry Pi because I knew drivers existed.

edit: also finding out that thermal throttling will be a huge PITA (I'm supposed to be overclocked, and that apparently doesn't work without re-working some things) and I'm okay with my CPU temps getting to 70, but apparently Ubuntu isn't. Gotta figure that out now. Ideally I want to set thermal throttling to start at 90 or 100 (Intel stock spec is 100) and let my CPU frequency go up to 4ghz like my overclock is supposed to allow.

Just looked it up right now. By default Ubuntu 14.04 doesn't ship with the latest wireless module (driver) for that wifi dongle. 

Update to the latest kernel, if it still doesn't work correctly then do this:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essentialsudo apt-get install gitgit clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu.gitcd rtl8188eumakesudo make installsudo modprobe 8188eu

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Okay. Things seem to be working better now. Now the wireless problem I'm runing into is Quality of Service. If I have multiple things going (like say a download in the background) then it'll give full bandwidth to items running in order of a seemingly arbitrary list, and when it runs out, everything at the end of the list gets nothing. No bandwidth, nada. So if I'm downloading something and streaming youtube, either the download runs at full speed and youtube won't load until it's finished, or youtube will buffer to max and until then the download will effectively pause. It's extremely frustrating. I've got to figure this out, as well as the stupid CPU frequency and thermal throttling settings.

Okay. Things seem to be working better now. Now the wireless problem I'm runing into is Quality of Service. If I have multiple things going (like say a download in the background) then it'll give full bandwidth to items running in order of a seemingly arbitrary list, and when it runs out, everything at the end of the list gets nothing. No bandwidth, nada. So if I'm downloading something and streaming youtube, either the download runs at full speed and youtube won't load until it's finished, or youtube will buffer to max and until then the download will effectively pause. It's extremely frustrating. I've got to figure this out, as well as the stupid CPU frequency and thermal throttling settings.

QoS usually is enabled at the Router, not the operating system. 

QoS at the router is to determine that each device connected gets good QoS. My problem is not at that level.

QoS at the router is to determine that each device connected gets good QoS. My problem is not at that level.

Umm, Ubuntu doesn't have any packet prioritisation or QOS enabled, and neither do any other linux distros.

It is quite possible that you need to update your wireless drivers. It sounds as if you are probably running into a bandwidth limitation or an unstable wireless card.

On my Intel wireless AC card, I have no problem saturating my 50/50mbs home connection.