Swapping 8320 for E

C3DMaX

Ok as I really cannot make my mind up on this i will sum up everthing as good and comprehensive as I can

I am currently running the following rig:

ASUS M5A97 R2.0

FX 8320 OC'd to about 4GHz with a CM Hyper 212 EVO

- not sure about temps as i get inconsisten and vastly varying data from any tool

8GB of 1333Mhz RAM from Team Group Elite (no name shit i guess)

Gigabyte Rev 2 280X

Corsair CX600M PSU

as you guys explained, swapping the 8320 for an 8320E would not improve (could even decrease) my experience

So now I see two options:

keep everything as it is,

or get an i5 4690k and an ASUS Z97-K Mobo

now why i even started to think about this is:

im planning to build a pc and sell it; from parts lying around at my place, namely, an fx 4100, a asus direct cu 2 hd 7770 ghz ed. and a lc power(again no name shit i guess) 550w psu

to complete this i would have to buy ram and a mobo

for that i chose to get 8GB of Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz for me to keep and put the old ram in the rig to be sold

and the MSI 760GMA-P34 (FX) as mobo

if i would get the intel cpu and new mobo, i would not have to spend money on the second am3+ mobo, also, it would be a worthy upgrade for my own rig and the higher end mobo that i use now might get me a few more bucks for the "trash rig"

now if i pull this off right, i might even have to spend almost no money:

there is a cashback offer for qualifying asus mobo and intel cpu combos going on where i live (germany) i could get 35€ back from that

i could sell the trash rig for 250€ or more:

what i would have to pay:

Core i5 4690k - 193,26€

Asus Z97-K - 98,84€

Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133Mhz - 82,34€

Sums up to: 374,44€

BUT i would send the 8320 back wich would get me 120€

and if the cashback thing really works i get another 35€

When i keep the 8320 i would buy:

Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133Mhz - 82,34€

MSI 760GMA-P34 (FX) - 45,85

Which sums up to; 128,19€

What should i do?  :wacko:  :unsure:  :blink: 

This! Do that & you can be stay safe, not worrying about any bottleneck. 

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

please re read my long post on page 1, the msi board would be for a spare parts pc that i would sell, the mobo i use in my personal rig is the asus one

okay, you asus M5A97 R2.0 with 4+2 powerphase and digi vrm, is offcourse not a bad board at all.

But like i said, Skyrim will definitely run better on a i5-4690K.

And i say this as an FX8350 user!

Thiss offcourse still does not mean, that skyrim runs crap on a FX because it also runs well on a FX, But on an intel i5-4690K it just runs better!

okay then again i ask how about skyrim performance with enb and stuff? will it be better with the i5?

and will i have better results with the i5 in upcoming games like AC Unity, Far Cry 4 etc?

Yes, Skyrim loves Intel CPUs.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

So yeah its basicly up to you, if an upgrade to intel is worth it to you or not.

FX8320 is very wel capable to play skyrim with a 280X, its totaly fine.

But offcourse the game will run better on 4690k.

post-87664-0-61177500-1411505197.png

Okay, the red marked portions in the pic are my only concerns left, how much will i notice these?

what i will then do is depending on moneygivers :P so i will have decision in the next few day,

also plan to do build logs of the trash rig and the possible intel upgrade

Xeon E3-1231-v3 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro // Asus Z97AR // XFX RX 480 GTR

Intel 4690K vs AMD FX 8350.png

Okay, the red marked portions in the pic are my only concerns left, how much will i notice these?

what i will then do is depending on moneygivers :P so i will have decision in the next few day,

also plan to do build logs of the trash rig and the possible intel upgrade

Depending on where you gonne use your pc for, if only gaming, the 4690K is better in a wider spectrum of games.

This is because intel has better single threaded performance.

Some games still relay allot on single threaded performance, like Skyrim, and there for a 4690K will be better

clock speeds does not matter that much here.

About the instruction sets on the left, for gaming those are not interessting realy.

But for virtualization some of them are.

About the instruction sets on the left, for gaming those are not interessting realy.

But for virtualization some of them are.

what about emulation? especially ps2 and wii

Xeon E3-1231-v3 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro // Asus Z97AR // XFX RX 480 GTR

what about emulation? especially ps2 and wii

im not totaly sure but i think that Dolphin emulator also depends on single threaded performance.

So in this case, again the i5 will most likely be better.

Some one please correct me if im wrong.

Edit: some text found on a Dutch Dolphin emulator community page, seems to proof my thoughts.

Dolphin is a dual core application that relies upon IPC (Instructions Per Clock) for performance. Additional cores will not make Dolphin go any faster, though an “extra” core that Dolphin isn’t using may help slightly by keeping background tasks from using the same cores as Dolphin.

• Intel: Newer Core i5 and i7 processors such as the i5-4670K and i5-3570K are extremely fast and very affordable considering their relative power. The K series allows for overclocking, which can further improve the performance of those CPUs. Core i7 variants yield almost no benefit in IPC over the i5s they are based on, so save the cash if you’re building a Dolphin machine. For laptops, you can rely on the i7-4700MQ and i7-4930MX for the absolute best performance. Most games will run very well on any of those processors.

• AMD: Due to very low IPC, AMD CPUs are poor choices for Dolphin. The FX8000 line of processors is the best they have, and even then most of those processors will be around half the speed of the 4670K’s performance with Dolphin.