Superlux HD681, upgrade or just buy an amp/dac?

Harue

Helloz,

question is pretty simple, been using these Superlux HD 681's for close to 8 months now, still love them. Listen to everything with them, but have started to get a little bored with them, wondering if an Amp/Dac would liven things up a little bit or if it would make much of a difference at all? 

If not then should I upgrade to something a bit more expensive, say in the $200 - $250 range?

I like a mostly neutral EQ with a little bit of punchy bass, I find the HD681's lacking in bass ever so slightly lol

Thanks ahead of time for any responses :)

If you're looking for flatness with a bit of bass boost, I can personally vouch for the HD280's.

Some amp/dac's come with a bass boost switch, like the Fiio E10k if you want a amp/dac, but it won't make much of a difference to a point.

Git new hadfones. Or get nothing new at all. Getting external amp/dacs usually is to solve a problem - Like your onboard is toast or isn't working well, or your headphones don't go loud enough for you, etc. It's not a magic wand that makes your life better.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

If you're looking for flatness with a bit of bass boost, I can personally vouch for the HD280's.

Some amp/dac's come with a bass boost switch, like the Fiio E10k if you want a amp/dac, but it won't make much of a difference to a point.

I've looked into the HD280's a couple times, they seem like a solid pair of headphones. Forgot to mention that I prefer either a semi open or fully open back headphone :P I think that was what kept me from getting those before lol

Git new hadfones. Or get nothing new at all. Getting external amp/dacs usually is to solve a problem - Like your onboard is toast or isn't working well, or your headphones don't go loud enough for you, etc. It's not a magic wand that makes your life better.

I'll more then likely be getting an Amp regardless of whether I get new headphones or not lol My music could always be louder \m/ haha

I was just wondering if it would change the sound signature of my HD681's at all if they were amp'd. 

Technically yes, if you get a tube amp or one with high output impedance. It's basically an expensive EQ you can't take off. The "EQ" is actually distortion... or we can try a euphemism: "Coloration". Even if you want one, it's ridiculous to pay for $500+ amp when you headphones aren't even $100.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Technically yes, if you get a tube amp or one with high output impedance. It's basically an expensive EQ you can't take off. The "EQ" is actually distortion... or we can try a euphemism: "Coloration". Even if you want one, it's ridiculous to pay for $500+ amp when you headphones aren't even $100.

Yeah I'm not spending anywhere near that for an amp, just gonna get an Objective2 from Mayflower lol unless something better comes along in the same price range.

Doesn't matter if it's a $50 headphone or $5000 headphone, at some point the user will becomes bored with the sound. It's natural and it's human. If you're looking for that wow factor again, get a better headphone, with a considerable leap in class/level. 

Amp/dac's difference in sound won't be enough to be considered as a new wow factor. To most people, louder = better, well, up till they develop tinnitus, which is ear ringing 24/7 for the rest of their life.....