27" Monitor with 17" 4:3 Monitors on the sides?

Aligaterror

I have a Asus PB278Q 1440p 27" Monitor and I want to get two new monitors for the sides. If I get two more 16:9 27" monitors it would be too wide (and expensive) for me. So I thought I could get 4:3 monitors.

According to this website, the height of the 27" matches with the width of the 4:3 17" which means that if I put them in portrait all three monitors would line up, right?

http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-17-inch-5x4

This is the monitor I was looking at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-V176Lb-inch-5ms-Monitor/dp/B00DFWLKEA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1B8PVBD3WTTVD4D0Q2TS

So, will it work? Is it a good idea?

I'm hoping that it will look something like this:

post-67980-0-05524400-1411401067_thumb.j

Case: Silverstone TJ07 CPU: i5 3570K Motherboard: Asus Z77 Sabertooth RAM: Dominator Platinum 8GB GPU: SLI GTX 970 G1 Storage256GB Samsung 840 Pro + 3TB WD Green PSU: Corsair RM850 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Cooling: Water cooling with acrylic tubes HeadphonesPhilips Fidelio X2 DAC: Schiit Modi Amp: Schiit Vali

Yes it should work like that.

27" 16:9 monitor has screen 60cm width and 34cm height

17" 4:3 monitor has screen 35cm width and 26cm height

So it will be only 1cm above your main monitor.

EDIT

You can also get 17" 5:4 monitor which is 1280x1024 and that will be screen 34cm width and 27cm height and that will match your 34cm height 27" main monitor perfectly.

Yes it should work like that.

27" 16:9 monitor has screen 60cm width and 34cm height

17" 4:3 monitor has screen 35cm width and 26cm height

So it will be only 1cm above your main monitor.

EDIT

You can also get 17" 5:4 monitor which is 1280x1024 and that will be screen 34cm width and 27cm height and that will match your 34cm height 27" main monitor perfectly.

Great, thank you very much :)

Case: Silverstone TJ07 CPU: i5 3570K Motherboard: Asus Z77 Sabertooth RAM: Dominator Platinum 8GB GPU: SLI GTX 970 G1 Storage256GB Samsung 840 Pro + 3TB WD Green PSU: Corsair RM850 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Cooling: Water cooling with acrylic tubes HeadphonesPhilips Fidelio X2 DAC: Schiit Modi Amp: Schiit Vali

The only problem you face is that the resolution of the 4:3/5:4 monitors won't align correctly, unless you set a custom resolution (which probably won't look great). I'd suggest looking for 16:10 monitors with a 1440x900 resolution that can rotate into portrait. That way the horizontal resolution will match the ASUS PB278Q vertical resolution. Just something to think about. ;)

EDIT: The 16:10 monitors in the picture look to have a resolution of 1440x900. ;)

@Aligaterror

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

The only problem you face is that the resolution of the 4:3/5:4 monitors won't align correctly, unless you set a custom resolution (which probably won't look great). I'd suggest looking for 16:10 monitors with a 1440x900 resolution that can rotate into portrait. That way the horizontal resolution will match the ASUS PB278Q vertical resolution. Just something to think about. ;)

@Aligaterror

I was thinking about that but he would must find 15.6" 16:9 1440x900 monitor in order to fit the size of screen and there is no such monitor with that resolution as long as I am aware.

I was thinking about that but he would must find 15.6" 16:9 1440x900 monitor in order to fit the size of screen and there is no such monitor with that resolution as long as I am aware.

Perhaps you're right. I see that the larger monitor on that picture he provided looks to be a 16:10 display. So, yeah, I think you're most definitely right. I guess the only option in his case is to create a custom resolution for each monitor which mightn't look too bad.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I have a Asus PB278Q 1440p 27" Monitor and I want to get two new monitors for the sides. If I get two more 16:9 27" monitors it would be too wide (and expensive) for me. So I thought I could get 4:3 monitors.

According to this website, the height of the 27" matches with the width of the 4:3 17" which means that if I put them in portrait all three monitors would line up, right?

http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-17-inch-5x4

This is the monitor I was looking at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-V176Lb-inch-5ms-Monitor/dp/B00DFWLKEA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1B8PVBD3WTTVD4D0Q2TS

So, will it work? Is it a good idea?

I'm hoping that it will look something like this:

attachicon.gif16421896.jpg

That's a 30" monitor with 20 inch companions.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein