Technology things your school does wrong

Dude

It's okay at m school.

The only issue is the Computer lab computers are souped up poo machines.

They running SSDs

6 Gigs of RAM

They have good internet

They run 1920*1200 or 1600*1050 monitors.

They have decent full qwerty keyboards and Optical Mice.

But.

It's running an Athlon X64 (Not a new one) and a GT 220.

So essentially they need new possessors.

Not so much GPUs but it would be nice.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Forgot to mention, my school has a minecraft club and a photoshop club and both the clubs use those dreaded Athlon 64xes and shitty GPUS.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

School has fancy new projectors and laptops but hey still choose to use vga ( I bet hdml cables are cheaper?).

my college uses pcs in the whole college and only macs in photography i dont no why the pcs have photoshop and sd card readers 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

At my college all the usual stuff is done pretty right.

The network admin is a competent guy. He manages the school website, firewall, SVN server, VPN network for license servers, etcetera and it all runs great.

Wifi is of course slow, but with so many students in one place it's bound to happen. Luckily wired is fast.

However, since our college network doesn't use NAT (the wifi router assigns every PC a public IP-address in the range of the college IP addresses) we have to have a pretty beefy firewall

The problem with this is that not even on neighboring PC's, ICMP packets pass.

Some assignments for data communications require this, though. So in short, we get assignments to do in class which we can't physically do because of the firewall.

Nothing actually, they know what they are doing. Just outdated pc's is all.

In the Music Tech room, we have a load of Mac Minis (that coincidentally are the slowest computers in teh school). The mouse sensitivity is such that you have to move your arm about a meter to move the cursor from one side of the screen to other. Apparently there is no way we can change the mouse settings...

Pilates

In the Music Tech room, we have a load of Mac Minis (that coincidentally are the slowest computers in teh school). The mouse sensitivity is such that you have to move your arm about a meter to move the cursor from one side of the screen to other. Apparently there is no way we can change the mouse settings...

I think the mouse sensitivity thing is a problem inherent in most, if not all, macs...

I had the dishonor of experiencing it myself and having to live with it since it was something I had to do on the job...

My school's filter is fucked up. You can't even view Youtube that's not educational, which is not fucking fair. But the teachers can access it just fine. Also, any other music players, like Pandora and Spotify are blocked. Damn. Also, there's no control panel or even My Computer. These computers are total shit.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Macs, macs everywhere.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Oh dear look what I found.

-snip-

My face hurts from reading that.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

My face hurts from reading that.

Stupidest rules ever. Plus, my school filter is even worse. They block LTT (why the fuck??), but they don't block redtube.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

In the first week of school (this year) my school had no network, so we couldn't work on the PC's. I'm doing an IT study. Also, all laptops miss lots of keys (Usually don't work on those things, but sometimes have to) 

Where do you study?

Oh wow...   Fellow Georgians look on the top left.  Please note, that this school is in ARIZONA!

Because he had a hard drive.

Every computer lab has different keyboards with different layouts, each period i'm swapping rooms and adapting between UK/US layouts ontop of different keyboard shapes...

Crabs are what spiders should have been.

i5 4670k - Z87 Gryphon - GTX 770

my school uses old xp dell laptops and very dusty desktops. Nuff said. 

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

My school uses macs, but I think that is actually good that way. But all the new iMacs are give to the secretaries that sit there and not even use it other than browsing and Excel, while the graphic design department has 2008-2010 iMacs. Also, every student has a MacBook so those are really not that needed. It is an international school which is kinda rich, yet our IT people pirate Adobe CS6 and distribute that to students...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

my school uses old xp dell laptops and very dusty desktops. Nuff said. 

You mean the ones with AVG screaming that your computer is unprotected?

Using VGA instead of HD on the smartboards. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Using VGA instead of HD on the "smartboards". 

Don't you mean, a Dumb-Board.

1. May be getting a bunch more chromebooks.

2. Still uses overhead projectors

3. Has shitty projectors that don't support most modern connections (they mainly just support vga, though some support dvi)

4. Has computers from the early 2000s that take around 10 minutes to boot up, and another 10-20 to log in, most of them don't even have 1gb of ram, that and they are running windows xp with shitloads of background programs all over the place.

VGA is still the standard for projectors though, because projectors still suck

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

You mean the ones with AVG screaming that your computer is unprotected?

Actually they use McAfee 

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

Where do you study?

In the Netherlands. The reason they didn't have the network set up was because they bought a new building and had to move many many PC's..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Our school lets us bring laptops to school but has a strict no macbook rule because windows software won't run on it. Uh bootcamp much?

Took me so fucking long to argue with my parents to convince them that a macbook WILL work and guess what, I contacted the head of department for the IT division in my school and he said bootcamp is totally okay.

THEN WHY PRINT ON PAPER THAT MACBOOKS ARE NOT ALLOWED > :(

"Students from all other courses are required to own Windows-based Notebook computers as they would be using software provided by their Schools or Divisions that do not have an Apple version."

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  •