[DIY]Stereo I/O AB Selector (image heavy)

creatip123

Well, if all of the devices that use AC main power line is properly grounded, and plugged into the same power line branch, you might be able to get away with common ground.

Otherwise, you could try wiring them in a 'balanced' connection. 1 switch = 1 channel. So to switch properly, you gotta flick the 2 switches at once.

Ive used common ground in a setup like this and it worked just fine

Hmm, then I'll give it a try.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Hmm, then I'll give it a try.

Try this if you got DMM: set to AC volt meter, turn on all the devices, and measure all the grounds of them, ground device A vs B, A vs C, B vs C. If you got 0 or very low value, then it shouldn't be a problem using common ground.

Try this if you got DMM: set to AC volt meter, turn on all the devices, and measure all the grounds of them, ground device A vs B, A vs C, B vs C. If you got 0 or very low value, then it shouldn't be a problem using common ground.

First I've got to figure out how I'm gonna plug the entire thing into my computer as I've forgotten to get a male-male headphone cable...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

First I've got to figure out how I'm gonna plug the entire thing into my computer as I've forgotten to get a male-male headphone cable...

lol this just isn't your week

lol this just isn't your week

Yeah, I'm just gonna return the switches to radioshack, and I ordered two 3pdt switches to use instead. (they were like $1.25 each on ebay, so I figured why not :P)

Yeah, I'm just gonna return the switches to radioshack, and I ordered two 3pdt switches to use instead. (they were like $1.25 each on ebay, so I figured why not :P)

Man, you got swindled. I got them for $1.20 each...... :D

And about that male to male connector. If you're a bit of a hardcore user, might want to consider making (DIY) the connector, instead of buying mass production ones. After market stereo plugs got metal clamps as the strain reliever, making it much more durable compared to the rubber type of mass production ones. 

I'm looking at picking up all the pieces to make one of these myself.  I want to use it to be able to switch between speakers and headset. I'm thinking I'd like to introduce a potentiometer to this to control the volume on my headset. Will that have any effect on audio quality, and what resistance pot should I be looking for?

I'm looking at picking up all the pieces to make one of these myself.  I want to use it to be able to switch between speakers and headset. I'm thinking I'd like to introduce a potentiometer to this to control the volume on my headset. Will that have any effect on audio quality, and what resistance pot should I be looking for?

I think the benefit of using a good pot rather than a bad pot is that a bad pot will sometimes have channel imbalance, and they get dirty quite fast. When it's dirty, when you turn it up or down, it will sound 'krrrssskkkk' or something like that. 

A renowned (good) brand of audio pots is the ALPS pot. 

Value doesn't really matters. The concept is: a pot is a variable resistor which the user can set the resistance between 0 to X ohms. 0 ohms = passthrough, it theoretically doesn't do anything to the volume. The X ohms determines how low the loudness will go, or how quiet. If the X is not big enough, you'll still get some sound, even after you turn it all the way down. If the X is too big, from the all the way down position, you'll still have silent after you turn it a few degrees up. In both cases, the pots will still function and usable.

Just make sure the pot is usable for stereo (3 polarities), i.e. got 6 legs. 4 legged pots are also usable, just bypass the ground wire.

• 5 years later...

Hello all, i know im late to the party but if there is anyone around that could help me, would be greatly appreciated.

I have these, can this be used instead of the ones mentioned by OP and if so, can someone tell me how to wire it.

Thank you

5 hours ago, Diocarn said:

Hello all, i know im late to the party but if there is anyone around that could help me, would be greatly appreciated.

I have these, can this be used instead of the ones mentioned by OP and if so, can someone tell me how to wire it.

Thank you

Do you have a switch, too?

Those connectors have COM, LEFT and RIGHT  pins for the audio part and  one or two separate pins that are used for the detection part :  when you insert a plug into the connector, either the two pins are shorted together, or they're disconnected - this is how you determine if something is inserted into the connector. 

If you don't need the "detection" part, you can ignore it and use only the COM/ground  and left and right channels wires. 

22 hours ago, mariushm said:

Those connectors have COM, LEFT and RIGHT  pins for the audio part and  one or two separate pins that are used for the detection part :  when you insert a plug into the connector, either the two pins are shorted together, or they're disconnected - this is how you determine if something is inserted into the connector. 

If you don't need the "detection" part, you can ignore it and use only the COM/ground  and left and right channels wires. 

thats great, thank you. one problem, are you able to identify for me which are the detections points?

Get a multimeter and figure it out ... put it in continuity mode and plug a stereo jack inside and see which pin from jack is in continuity with pin from connector ... you'll have 3 pairs which are the audio pins... the other two would be the detection pins.

On 1/13/2021 at 11:20 PM, mariushm said:

Get a multimeter and figure it out ... put it in continuity mode and plug a stereo jack inside and see which pin from jack is in continuity with pin from connector ... you'll have 3 pairs which are the audio pins... the other two would be the detection pins.

Thank you

On 1/12/2021 at 10:49 PM, HenrySalayne said:

Do you have a switch, too?

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I have this switch. Suitable?

17 hours ago, mariushm said:

Dude, did you even bother to read the datasheet on that page?

https://www.jaycar.com.au/medias/sys_master/images/images/9484825722910/ST0505-dataSheetMain.pdf

Yes, it's exactly what's needed. But you would have known this had you opened the datasheet to look at the pretty drawing.

image.png.5ff83e3a45d8fffd0e81ceae83be5f53.png

yes , i did read the guide and data sheet. Someone asked if i had a switch and showed them the one i bought. and so i just asked if it was suitable, just to double check im on the right path.

Im very new to this and wanted to have a go. Im sorry my ignorance offends you. Wasnt my intention. Came to the forum to seek guidance and advice to a community that would be willing to help out. Im not forcing anybody to help if they dont want to.