Anime: Why do people hate SAO (Sword art online) so much?!

BeardHat

I don't know, I quite enjoyed the first season. I'm going to be watching the secound one once it is finished. Not so keen on the whole gun idea though.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

There's a second season?

I think I know why people hate it: it's popular. The story isn't particularly innovative but who cares.

It's awesome but it is overrated, sorry to say this, there are some really good anime out there that have an amazing story line with so many plot twists and they don't get the popularity they deserve and most likely get cancelled after one season. While SAO with a predictable story line is getting more funding. I'm not saying it's bad, I consider it one of the better ones, the animation is superb etc.

My beef with it is Kirito, I just really don't like him as a character. Also I love the universe of GGO but I also really don't like that it isn't hardcore like SAO.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

I didn't like the entire approach of the anime. As you can see in the second season, we missed the whole story of the red guilds in SAO. SAO took a more romance/harem approach, but the side characters were introduced in one episode and then no longer referenced in later episodes. I prefer the approach that Log Horizon had, where it actually looked at the problems of being in the game rather than looking solely at the relationships that the male protagonist is having with the female characters... My point of view though.

i tried to watch it, and it just wasn't my cup of tea

i rage quitted for excess of facepalms about halfway through the first episode, maybe it gets better, but i just don't like the basic idea of this anime per se

Yes I as well thought the first season was far superior than the second one. 

My beef with it is Kirito, I just really don't like him as a character. Also I love the universe of GGO but I also really don't like that it isn't hardcore like SAO.

spoiler_alert_300_w2.jpg

Yea Vendetta I get that Kirito is not exactly the best lead character.He is sort of dull and predictable. But what I really like about Kirito is not his personality but his relationship with Asuna and later how that relationship develops when nearing the end of the game and the supposed end of SAO. 

I didn't like the entire approach of the anime. As you can see in the second season, we missed the whole story of the red guilds in SAO. SAO took a more romance/harem approach, but the side characters were introduced in one episode and then no longer referenced in later episodes. I prefer the approach that Log Horizon had, where it actually looked at the problems of being in the game rather than looking solely at the relationships that the male protagonist is having with the female characters... My point of view though.

Good point. Though I really like the character aspect of it I found that I longed for more stories of the side characters. I would have loved to see more of Krito and Klein together(and I really did not understand what the deal was with Kirito ditching him and then treating Klein badly trough the season. all Klein did was try to be a friend.)

it's seriously overrated and goes to crap somewhere around the latter half of the first season.

they introduced Asuna as a strong other lead at first, but she quickly turns into the generic powerless maiden to be saved

the entire story is built in video games (by extension logic and computers), MC decides to waltz on over to a fucking game moderator and proceeds to defeat him because yolo why not (it was ok up to this point), it all goes to shit after this.

it started off great, but shoddy writing, pacing, the entire second half, and the fact that it was more or less an adaptation into a P13 version of an erotic amateur story leaves it dry as hell.

the second season was such an incoherent mess of a brocon I won't even bother mentioning it

Error: 410

I really don't get it.

it's seriously overrated and goes to crap somewhere around the latter half of the first season.

This^

It had a great premise and started out strong. Then it was crap. It was going to be good, but then wasn't. Disappointment is annoying.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This^

It had a great premise and started out strong. Then it was crap. It was going to be good, but then wasn't. Disappointment is annoying.

From the hype I'd heard about it before and the description, it was one of the worst experiences of metaphorical and cathartic blue balls I've ever sat through.

Somewhere along in the second half I completely lost interest and just let it play in the background for the sake of completion while I did other things and occasionally glanced over

not Kirito or that pig guy from Accel World)...

oh, I had no idea those were from the same writer. Might explain why I hate both so much.

will make note to avoid this writer if he ever comes up again.

Error: 410

I have mixed feelings...

On one side, I'd like to praise it because of its unique concept (at the time)...

On the other, I'd like to bash it because of the following that it has...

There's something with Reki Kawahara's writing style that makes me both like and hate him at the same time... Let's just say that he writes better villains than protagonists and I'd like to see him write a complete anti-hero (not Kirito or that pig guy from Accel World)...

I think it's an awesome anime, except for the second half of the first season. However the first part of the first season and the second season are just awesome and I still think it's one of the best anime I've ever watched.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

S.A.O 1 was a good anime. Not the best but eh it's worth to watch. Gun Gale Online.. Hm let's think about it. Kirito you dumb, you already got the girl o-o Dunno why but that fact got me instantly disinterested. Also shino. Go wear something you oversext bitch. Maybe the mayor reason why it's been watched is secretly fapping. Dunno. I'm not bi enough to know.

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

Original, but overrated. Kinda simple.

Ok forgive me but what's original about it?

S.A.O 1 was a good anime. Not the best but eh it's worth to watch. Gun Gale Online.. Hm let's think about it. Kirito you dumb, you already got the girl o-o Dunno why but that fact got me instantly disinterested. Also shino. Go wear something you oversext bitch. Maybe the mayor reason why it's been watched is secretly fapping. Dunno. I'm not bi enough to know.

It's the nature of the Light Novel genre... Need to keep putting some fanservice in so that it'll sell with the younger kids...

Man... I really need to pick up on my backlog... I've got 230 volumes of light novels more to go...

I have the same question. At first, I read that and thought "Well, VR & video games." but then .hack came to mind. Then I thought "Well, first VR & Video game anime to have no opt-out way of avoiding the game. i.e. they are all locked in the game except for suicide." but then I thought of .hack's main character. 

I guess it's unique in that this idea hasn't been done recently. .hack is fairly old.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

For season1 when the show drifted to a new game i lost interest and just watched it for the sake .Also the tentacle scene is still etched in my mind way too much fan service there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

I believe the only anime with the same setting would be Accel World, and it's from the same author... (I don't know of any other anime with a Virtual World setting.)

People mainly hate it because of it's popularity and how a simply disproportionate percentage of its fanbase is... those sorts of people. You know, the fanboys who love something and spout all sorts of worship about it without actually being able to point out why it is good -- and what faults it has (All anime have them -- both the faults and the gormless fanboys)

I stayed away from it for quite a while because of this fact. I tend to stay away from mainstream anime quite a bit because they generally tend to be rather unextraordinary (Bleach, Naruto, One Piece) while less-well-known anime like Yumekui Merry, Shakugan no Shana and Hitsugi no Chaika are so, so, SO much better made than the mainstream ones and are generally a lot more enjoyable because they aren't beaten dead horses.

I was surprised to find out that I actually like Sword Art Online quite a bit. Despite what a lot of people say about it, in terms of quality, the storyline, plot, characters, and animation quality (especially animation quality) are all extremely well-done. It is a top-notch anime in my books. I mean, sure, there are points in the series where you roll your eyes and go "predictable" and some of the character's personalities are totally cliched but those things happen in every single anime I see, and I've seen dozens upon dozens of them. I mean, the second season for the past four weeks now has had me on the edge of my seat and then just leaves me there on a cliffhanger, leaving me groaning in frustration, not being able to wait for the next sunday to roll around despite the fact that I already know roughly the rest of the Arc's plot from the light novels. Not just any anime can do that.

Sure, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but then of course, Blue Sub no.6, SnK (Don't you dare call it Attack on Titan. Worst mistranslation ever -- OMGROFLOLSHOTSFIREDKILLKILLKILL) and anything from Shonen Jump don't really suit me either. Everyone has preferences, the important thing is being able to actually back up your preferences. As long as you can do that, you can convince me that any anime is "good" because it has at least some intelligent following.

That's my rant. Sword Art Online is good enough to be mainstream but for me to still like it. All in all, impressive stuff.

I believe the only anime with the same setting would be Accel World, and it's from the same author... (I don't know of any other anime with a Virtual World setting.)

Log Horizon "ripped off" (sort of -- not really, but the basic story concepts are virtually identical) Sword Art Online a couple of seasons ago. The two series were actually published really closely to each other initially with Sword Art Online being all the more popular because the story is much more well-written, the characters are more developed and colourful and, of course, it was first out. Log Horizon is, in my very arrogant opinion, a slightly toned down and drier version of Sword Art Online -- and no lives are at stake in that one, so it makes it a bit duller, but that's just me...

You mean you've never heard of Digimon?

You mean you've never heard of Digimon?

LOL, I never took that one into account xD. My bad.