Do you believe in internet addiction? (Poll - private)

Self control is a skill that we must practice to become good at. Learning to be patient is a big part of that. So what happens if children grow up without learning these skills? Blame the parents all you want but that doesn't change the fact that it still happens.

@chilicheeseburger Same question to you.

That's basically what I said/meant. An addiciton is something you have to overcome. But yeah, not everybody has the potential for that.

That's basically what I said/meant. An addiciton is something you have to overcome. But yeah, not everybody has the potential for that.

Sorry I just got the impression that you didn't believe it was serious and thought people were using addiction as a method of escaping responsibilities. And while that may be true for certain people, I don't believe it is the case when it comes to kids using the internet.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Sorry I just got the impression that you didn't believe it was serious and thought people were using addiction as a method of escaping responsibilities. And while that may be true for certain people, I don't believe it is the case when it comes to kids using the internet.

I do believe you can be addicted to the internet if that's what you meant.

I do believe you can be addicted to the internet if that's what you meant.

I am more getting at do you think it is a problem that we should be aware (through threads like this), or are you of the mindset of just blaming the person saying, "its their own fault"?

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I think most of these people here are lying to themself and they actualy cant 100% control how much time they spend on the internet :/

I am more getting at do you think it is a problem that we should be aware (through threads like this), or are you of the mindset of just blaming the person saying, "its their own fault"?

Depends. You brought up kids being addicted. In that case, kids aren't to blame. It's the parent's fault for not paying attention to what their kids do and not being able to judge what's good for their children. Parents are often uninformed, leading to misconceptions about the internet or computers all together. Nothing wrong with kids learning how to use PCs, or the internet. It's a good thing, they will need it for school, for their jobs later on. However parents have to be aware of how their child performs in school, prevent them from becoming obese, or not having any real life activities and friends. Of course as kids get older they need to learn how to be responsible for themselves.

Now if an adult is addicted to the internet, yes I do blame him. It's irresponsible putting the internet first and being unaware of real life responsibilities like work, paying the bills, your family and so on.

Yes I do all of this to procrastinate from work at times, it's very easy to slip over the edge and lose control. Moreover in a general sense I have suffered a severe episode of MMO addiction in my earlier life. To say that it totally and completely destroyed me would be painting a pleasant picture of what happened.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I too have an addiction with the internet. Although, my time is mostly spent on forums and image boards, as opposed to social media. I find that I don't mind it too much, except on those occasions where I'm trying to do research for my assignments, but I find myself browsing youtube or some other random website :C

It's become more of a necessity rather than addiction, we need to be informed and up to date. Also for techies this really isn't addiction it's work (sort of).

For me this is really all just for whenever theres nothing better to do and i happen to find gaming and learning about tech entertaining so if its not good weather or simply my friends dont want to hang out i game on my PC and etc. If lets say theres good weather and your friend calls you to play ball and you refuse thats a problem.

I think i made this pretty clear.

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

I believe I have a mild addiction to the internet. I feel bored if I don't check my emails, check for new YouTube content. Sometimes I'll check all my websites, and run out of content. In that case I'll end up doing /something/, but sometimes it won't be to go away from the computer.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

Ever since I got a girlfriend I have spent 100% of my time on the internet talking to her

Why not talk to her IRL?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

no, its just another place to interact at, and ive there was no internet i would be elsewhere :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

real physical addiction? no.

real psychological addiction? Absolutely. but not one that is life-controlling necessarily. It's not like nicotine or alcohol where it is a matter of suffering not to have them. Unless you're a neckbeard hikikomori shut-in, but that's a problem in and of itself.

Am I losing control of how much time I spend on the internet? not really, I mean, I come home from school and help people here until dinner, then I come back and do it until about 9 or 10pm. Normal schedule.

Have I spent hours on the forums scrolling through even though there's nothing interesting? on any given day? no. In total? definitely yes. I do spend hours here sometimes, but it's not all I do. I'll refresh the forum every now and then and answer any topics I can help with, but it's not like I'm lying in wait for someone to ask something...If I'm not on here, I'm watching the WAN show or The Tek.

I'm not addicted to the internet at all :D. *keeps refreshing LTT main page for new threads* :P

The first step is admitting you have a problem? I'm...*visits YouTube*...don't though. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Why not talk to her IRL?

She lives in Arizona :(

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W