Asus PB298Q strange overclocking capabilities

steleo96

Hi, after using a bit my new 2560x1080 monitor I thought about why not overclock it? (with the "old" video of Linus with the NVIDIA control panel). So I tried bringing it from 60Hz to 80Hz and it worked without problems, so I said why not let's try 100Hz and surprisingly it worked. So the next thing I did was put it at 120Hz and start a game of Battlefield 4 and put the 120Hz setting on. I started playing and I was disappointed, I lowered the video settings to get those stable 120fps but even with 120fps I didn't see the difference. So what I am asking is : Is the new refresh rate somewhat "fake"? Or maybe is to high and I drop frames and I don't get the full experience? 

http://i.imgur.com/lfGpa3v.jpg

try downloading evga pixel tuning utility it comes with evga precision X that will give you abetter over clock and you will be able to revert an unstable one

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

overclocking monitors is an area of diminishing returns and certain people just won't percieve 120fps as smoother than 60fps. I personally overclock my monitors to 77fps and can tell the difference.

overclocking monitors is an area of diminishing returns and certain people just won't percieve 120fps as smoother than 60fps. I personally overclock my monitors to 77fps and can tell the difference.

same here

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

In case you are wondering why 77fps, it's the same # of pixels per second as 1920x1200, the max pixel clock supported by HDMI(1.2 I think) on many monitors

Installed it and it just says that I have 120Hz AaaxNsc.png

And I think I can see the difference from 60Hz to 120Hz since I used a 75hz (1440x900) monitor until now and I noticed when i was playing at 60 or at 75hz (Sorry for my english .-.)

Installed it and it just says that I have 120Hz AaaxNsc.png

And I think I can see the difference from 60Hz to 120Hz since I used a 75hz (1440x900) monitor until now and I noticed when i was playing at 60 or at 75hz (Sorry for my english .-.)

try dialing back the overclock because it is an ips monitor so you wont be able to feel that high of an overclock probably because of the input lag

So I tried dialing back to 80Hz and I entered into the Test Range of BF4, so I started moving in circles with the quad so I could see how smooth the movement was: aaand it's better at 60hz, let me explain. At 80Hz is absolutely horrible, it feels like playing at 30fps (while I'm hitting 180/200fps) at 60hz instead is much more smooth, sadly not as smooth as my old TN panel at 75 Hz :(
So what I think is that the monitor can't handle a refresh rate so high and as a result of that it dips down from 60hz. Am I wrong?

So I tried dialing back to 80Hz and I entered into the Test Range of BF4, so I started moving in circles with the quad so I could see how smooth the movement was: aaand it's better at 60hz, let me explain. At 80Hz is absolutely horrible, it feels like playing at 30fps (while I'm hitting 180/200fps) at 60hz instead is much more smooth, sadly not as smooth as my old TN panel at 75 Hz :(

So what I think is that the monitor can't handle a refresh rate so high and as a result of that it dips down from 60hz. Am I wrong?

its probably dropping tones of frames try dialing it back to about 74 hz and see how it is there

Ok tried to dialing it down to 74 and it was all blurry so I tried 73 - 72 - 71 ecc and the right one is 67. Better than nothing...

Ok tried to dialing it down to 74 and it was all blurry so I tried 73 - 72 - 71 ecc and the right one is 67. Better than nothing...

good

I still consider this a huge improvement: I had the choice to choose either a 144Hz monitor or this IPS 21:9 monitor and I still think I made the right choice.

I still consider this a huge improvement: I had the choice to choose either a 144Hz monitor or this IPS 21:9 monitor and I still think I made the right choice.

yea i did the same with my monitor and raising it 74 hz was a huge improvment

try dialing back the overclock because it is an ips monitor so you wont be able to feel that high of an overclock probably because of the input lag

This. Input lag is probably holding you back.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

It's skipping frames. Refreshing at 120Hz, but only showing half the frames.