Laptop or Desktop?

Go to solution Solved by APrettyCoolWalrus,

Guys this thread is a month old

Before you spam "Desktop" I want to say a few things: My friend is considering getting a $1000 laptop over a $1000 desktop. He doesn't do anything extreme and he seems to be more worried about the LAN party aspect. The most demanding game he has in his library is Skyrim and he wants to play DayZ, but he usually plays easy platformers and TF2.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

what is the specs of the lappy he is getting?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

well he can make a micro atx or itx desktop for lan parties

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

what is the specs of the lappy he is getting?

He attempted getting a G550JK with an i7 and a 850m, expect something like an 860m.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Desktop.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

DayZ runs like shite on most rigs, even i7's.

Also, he could get a decent micro atx case which he can take along to a LAN. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

If it's just for LAN parties that he's considering laptop, he may as well go with an mATX or mITX build with a good LAN case. Laptops are only (IMO) replacement for desktops if you need the portability for things like college and work. 

If it's just for LAN parties that he's considering laptop, he may as well go with an mATX or mITX build with a good LAN case. Laptops are only (IMO) replacement for desktops if you need the portability for things like college and work. 

Wouldn't LAN parties need portability?

Also personally I say desktop but that's due to bad experience with laptops in the past

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Please keep arguing, I need options :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Before you spam "Desktop" I want to say a few things: My friend is considering getting a $1000 laptop over a $1000 desktop. He doesn't do anything extreme and he seems to be more worried about the LAN party aspect. The most demanding game he has in his library is Skyrim and he wants to play DayZ, but he usually plays easy platformers and TF2.

Laptop hardware tends to degrade quite more faster over desktops. I'd say he & you could buy quite decent components and build a cute & portable MITX build for around the same price although you got both hands full of cables, monitor + the machine itself.

I'd definitely see what's currently out of the market in-terms of laptops that fit into the $1000 budget then find it at a local store play around with it for about 10-20 minutes then find an mini itx/matx case. From there you could compare between portable functionality & compute performance per cubic metre.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Also personally I say desktop but that's due to bad experience with laptops in the past

But you don't go to LAN parties 5 days a week and maybe go by train or a long commute... Or maybe his friend does, I don't know. 

Basically, LAN parties are not an everyday thing, unlike college and work. It's more convenient to have a laptop to carry, sure, but I don't think it's worth the compromise of power and features. 

Please keep arguing, I need options :)

lol xD but try and suggest he builds something in say a CM Elite 110, or Bitfenix Prodigy(possibly M for M ATX support) with a 1 Grand budget he could probably get something along the lines of a 290x with a decent cooler or 780(possibly ti with the way they've been going on great sales lately) and if he went with Prodigy M latter could always throw in a second card or a wifi/networking card ect maybe watercool who knows...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

He attempted getting a G550JK with an i7 and a 850m, expect something like an 860m.

It can run BF4 on medium settings.... Hmmnmm does your friend have his own car?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Lapdesk. Deskface? I'm not sure.

Laptop hardware tends to degrade quite more faster over desktops. I'd say he & you could buy quite decent components and build a cute & portable MITX build for around the same price although you got both hands full of cables, monitor + the machine itself.

I'd definitely see what's currently out of the market in-terms of laptops that fit into the $1000 budget then find it at a local store play around with it for about 10-20 minutes then find an mini itx/matx case. From there you could compare between portable functionality & compute performance per cubic metre.

"cute"

i love the way you look at it :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Is he goes to LAN parties by car than a Mini-ITX case like the Bitfenix Prodigy will be pretty good. If the LAN party requires using an backpack, then get a laptop. Simple enough to me.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I was looking into this a year ago. I really wanted to portability of a laptop, but the more I did my research, I just could not get over how much better performance I would get from building a desktop over buying a laptop. My wife's laptop was about 1000 dollars and it has a 750m in it and I have been pretty unimpressed with its performance. It holds up and you can turn the settings down, but desktop is the way to go for more bang for your buck. There are plenty of cases out now that would allow you to build a small, portable, powerful rig for that kind of money. It is a bit more complicated to transport a monitor and keyboard and all of that of course, but I think what you end up with is a significantly better gaming experience. My wife's laptop also gets uncomfortably warm and is very similar to the one you are looking at. That being said, it would be difficult for me to invest in a desktop if I did not already have a laptop because my laptop is portable with me every day for a lot of different things besides gaming. I am happy having a great desktop for the occasional lan or for a less temporary set up, but I loving having my crappy old laptop available to me to use on the couch, a buddies place, or anywhere else where I will not primarily be gaming. Good luck. 

1) does he have a car?

2) how often are these LAN parties?

3) game play wise what is he expecting? Does he mind not having great graphics and potentially overheating issues or is game graphics his thing? 

4) how easy is it to change his mind if hes already decided on a laptop ;)

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

Despite all the ifs ands or buts, a desktop is (almost) always better than a laptop

• 4 weeks later...

Go for a Desktop and get a Chromebook for doing stuff when you are not at home. If Lan partys are really important to you/your friend get a decent laptop.

Go for a Desktop and get a Chromebook for doing stuff when you are not at home. If Lan partys are really important to you/your friend get a decent laptop.

Thanks for responding, but you're a month late. He's opted for a laptop.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

laptop  good recomendation is lenovo y50 with 860m has got power and not bad price

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

A laptop is a possibility but this m-itx case looks like a good candidate for LAN Parties:

It even has a handle on it (and yes, it comes in colors other than yellow)!

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD