Whats the deal with AT&T

Black Sunshine

Now before i get ripped apart in the comments i have know problem with LinusTechTips being affiliated with AT&T. I am just curious what everybody else thinks. How i see it is, Yes AT&T is a pretty anti-consumer and if they were in canada i would avoid them if i could but they are sending linus and his team to generally give coverage on other companys products. Even though the first video was for an AT&T ad i still felt that they were showing off some pretty cool technologies also it was a nice change from the usual overview(nothing wrong with them its just they can't teach anything i don't already know) This is just my unprofessional opinion but i am curious to see how the core community feels about this. Try to keep it peaceful 

I think it's because AT&T is anti-consumer that's why. They think that Linus is selling out I guess.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

I'll sum up my feelings toward AT&T in one sentence:

If AT&T was the only service provider (internet, TV, phone, mobile phone) in my area, i'd go without internet, phone, and television.

The more money that Linus takes from them, the better.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

If AT&T was the only service provider (internet, TV, phone, mobile phone) in my area, i'd go without internet, phone, and television.

In tech hell you have AT&T for tv and phone and comcast for your internet

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Well, I very nearly live in tech hell then... :P

ISP's: AT&T, Time Warner, DSL Extreme (I.E. through AT&T), HughesNet

Phone: Verizon (don't know why we don't have access to FiOS or high speed internet through them, however), AT&T, and Time Warner

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Well, I very nearly live in tech hell then... :P

ISP's: AT&T, Time Warner, DSL Extreme (I.E. through AT&T), HughesNet

Phone: Verizon (don't know why we don't have access to FiOS or high speed internet through them, however), AT&T, and Time Warner

That sucks, we have some small area ISP with a 5/1 connection and Viaero which while you roam after going 2 hours in any direction I get unlimited data soooo... not bad, internet sucks ass still though...

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

I have exactly that and I have no complaints. But your mileage may vary.

Tech Hell

Verizon-Phone

Dish-TV

AT&T-Internet

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

I have exactly that and I have no complaints. But your mileage may vary.

Tech Hell

Verizon-Phone

Dish-TV

AT&T-Internet

My sympathies go to you and your family

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

I currently have Time Warner's 30/5 plan but AT&T gigabit is coming to my area. Assuming of course the price isn't outrageous and there aren't bandwidth caps, I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from moving  :unsure: I already have them for my mobile provider...

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

So you guys have bad ping and speeds in U.S.A. and Canada?

AT&T had an excellent ping, but atrocious bandwidth.

$60/month (for internet alone) was getting me 6/.768 up, but I can say with 100% certainty that I never achieved my rated up or down.

@AkaCrabby "gigabit" from AT&T is more of a placebo. I'd put money on the fact that you won't actually have access to gigabit bandwidth.

I run through AT&T and never had a problem. Tho I am pre-paid and never had to contact customer support so...

Part of Linus's job includes showing off cool new technology, and in this case AT&T had some pretty cool new technology. In my opinion LTT videos have always been impartial regardless of if he's getting free products, demos, or other perks.

Also I'm still grandfathered on AT&T's unlimited LTE dataplan and that shit is bomb.

AT&T had an excellent ping, but atrocious bandwidth.

$60/month (for internet alone) was getting me 6/.768 up, but I can say with 100% certainty that I never achieved my rated up or down.

@AkaCrabby "gigabit" from AT&T is more of a placebo. I'd put money on the fact that you won't actually have access to gigabit bandwidth.

Oh, that kinda sucks. Here in Mexico the lowest ping I can get in a BF3 server is 60ms (still bad thought), but I have 10Mbps down and 2Mbps up for a cheap price (like 20/month) and I always get more than 900KB/s, it sucks, but not that much.

The way I see it, if AT&T offers to give Linus free tech to review, why wouldn't he take it? As long as he doesn't agree to give everything positive reviews, it's not bad at all.

I don't think he's sold out or anything, but if he has a sudden influx of gear from a certain company, it's only natural that he'd talk about more.

I understand that they couldn't go to the show without sponsors like AT&T, but I still have trouble abiding it. To me, an AT&T customer, it feels as though LTT is taking money from a regional mafia blackmailing me for $200+ for monthly "protection"; this mafia bribes the local authorities to prevent people like me from speaking out or being heard, and every time someone or some other organization tries to help elevate my poor neighborhood/community out of this oppressive situation they brutally assassinate them in an inside scheme with local law reinforcement. Not only that, but they're trying to buy out the cool park I hang out with my friends in, and turn it into a $99 admission $5 per ride Disney Land ripoff, oh, and burn down the orphanage I used to live in.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

Well FML....

Well, I have Comcast (Xfinity) for TV but still...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I can't switch from At&t because I don't want to lose my unlimited data, I haven't had any problems with coverage and I don't break stuff so I've never talked to customer support

i think Slick said something about this on the WAN show (i only caught the last 5 minutes). But he said, he was under the impression that there was going to be more announcements and releases of products from the likes of HTC etc. It was also a last minute decision to go down to CTIA 2014. So maybe it was a rushed decision, and thought they might be able to offer something different from other tech channels, and showcase some good content. I also think Slick said that the event didn't have a lot of good content for them to shoot, so the AT&T sponsorship videos maybe overshadowed the other content in terms of sponsor to content ratio. Thats my 10 cents worth anyway...

Sup